Breaking Bad - Final Season *Spoilers*

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Breaking Bad - Final Season *Spoilers*

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

It's amazing how little air time is wasted, especially compared to other "good" shows. This shit is awesome.
Last edited by Grandpa's Spells on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Cayenne

Re: Breaking Bad - Final Season

Post by Cayenne »

The first television broadcast I can remember was JFK's funeral.

I was three and a half years old and I remember my Mom and older sister being very emotional as they watched.

I've watched, like many (most?) here,a lot (!) of TV in the almost 50 years since.

For my tastes, BB is the best show I've ever seen.

Most shows, even the "good" ones, are more or less predictable. Even so, it "entertains" (or, I should say, passes the time,) to watch them.

BB, by comparison, blows me away with stuff I did not see coming.

SPOILER BELOW

The episode, ("One Minute" I think is the title,) where the twins shoot Hank, well, that final scene was the most gripping "action" sequence I've ever seen on TV.

No doubt what I'll be doing the next 7 Sunday nights @ 9 pm. EST.

Cayenne

Re: Breaking Bad - Final Season

Post by Cayenne »

BTW, the "little air time is wasted," observation, if that is a reference to the fact that ***SPOILER***

The conflict between Hank and Walt came right out, rather than "cat and moused" for a few weeks, I totally agree. I think creator commented, (I paraphrase,) "We've only got 7 hours left and a whole lot of story telling left to do."

The episode intro with the shocked neighbor, the gutted house, the scrawled "H E I S E N B E R G", really sets up the suspense amazingly.

It's like the end of great novel.

Enjoy.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Re: Breaking Bad - Final Season *Spoilers*

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Pretty much agree with everything said. The scenes with Hank and Walt have been great. I love how the show's creator has transformed Walt into the monster. I keep the captions option on in our bedroom set, so I can read the subtle mutterances that I miss during the normal course of this show. Jonathan Bank's Mike was also a favorite character in the whole series. This guy has been a bad guy throughout his life, great way to wind up a long career.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I've been loving this show, hope the M60 plays a good role in the finale.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Anybody watch last night's episode?

Lotta stuff went down, with a good cliffhanger ending.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

I noticed that I could literally feel my heart pounding from the suspense during the last several minutes -Just before "the cavalry" arrived - "realizing" that this simply could not be how it was going to end. A) Because we've seen "flash forward" showing Walt later in time and B) Because there was time left on the clock for that episode.

Personally, drama that can evoke that kind of physiological response, (i.e., elevated pulse, unconsciously holding breath,) is powerful !

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Cayenne wrote:I noticed that I could literally feel my heart pounding from the suspense during the last several minutes -Just before "the cavalry" arrived - "realizing" that this simply could not be how it was going to end. A) Because we've seen "flash forward" showing Walt later in time and B) Because there was time left on the clock for that episode.

Personally, drama that can evoke that kind of physiological response, (i.e., elevated pulse, unconsciously holding breath,) is powerful !
There's a really funny Reddit thread complaining about how badly the final season of Dexter sucks, and how painful it is to watch it while Breaking Bad (with another secret identity criminal in its final episodes) is crushing the shit out of it.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

The only problem with that scene is that you had about 5-6 guys with auto shotguns and handguns about 40 feet from 2 guys with shit cover, half the time standing up and neither one of those feds have been tagged by the end of the show.

I hope that bald fed gets his brains drilled out.

Man it's been a great season so far!

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

DARTH wrote:The only problem with that scene is that you had about 5-6 guys with auto shotguns and handguns about 40 feet from 2 guys with shit cover, half the time standing up and neither one of those feds have been tagged by the end of the show...

Ahh yes..."suspension of disbelief" can demand a great deal of a viewer (or reader) of fiction. It was almost laughable that with all the rounds being fired, no one had been hit. This could have been handled by just creating better cover for the DEA guys. Still, with this quality of plot, I am more than willing to cut the producers slack.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Not knowing shit about guns, how likely would it be that Walt wouldn't get hit lying down on the back seat while the SUV is being sprayed with bullets?
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

milosz

Post by milosz »

Cars make shitty barriers to gunfire IRL (at least on the inside - behind the car itself perhaps a bit better), but they're aiming (such as TV Nazis aim) toward the front of the car and higher than Walt is.

milosz

Post by milosz »

In that vein, Todd went from drawing from concealment and putting a round COM at 15 yards with decent speed to holding his gun like a 12-year old girl during the shootout.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

That shoot-out looked like some BS, but I heard a rumor that the next episode is the best one of the series, looking forwards to tomorrow and hopefully they are going to tie together the Lily-in-the-Valley and Ricin mix-up -- I have to believe Jesse thinking it's Ricin has some plot point, otherwise it's a f'd up error on the writer's part.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

I also found Jesse's realization b/f being shuffled off to a new identity and opting instead to go slug Saul confusing. My obsession w/ BB led me to the AMC sight and reading some commentary.

As I understand, the writers tried to convey Jesse's realization to the audience the same way he experienced it. Silently, w/o the unrealistic device of the character talking (thinking) out loud. As Jesse stared down at his cigarette pack he realized the Huell had pick his pocket of the weed, which reminded him of a similar lifting of the cigarette pack during the Brock poisoning. I think the type of poison, (Lilly of the Valley vs. Riacin,) is less important than the fact that Jesse knows that Huell, for Saul, for Walt, picked Jesse's pocket, all as part of the scheme to poison Brock.

I realize the above probably does not clarify confusion, and may even increase it. I may even be wrong on a point or three. Still, I am: A) Just going with the flow of the story, i.e., Jesse now knows that Walt poisoned a kid and lied to Jesse about it, all for Walt's own selfish motives and; B) Convinced the writer's have the plot points down tight, even though a couple may have been delivered in a sub-optimal & confusing manner.

Enjoy these last 3 episodes !

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I just read a preview of part of tonights episode, looking forwards to it - going to grab a pack of Guiness and await the start.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I think you are right, Cayenne. It would be nice if all the ends were tied up, really not that big of a deal though.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Bram, my Breaking Bad Brother: I watched last night's episode: Does drama get any more intense ? Unbelievable! and...another cliff hanger. (Also, another "loose end" tied up, i.e. Jane's death.)

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Delete duplicate post
Last edited by Cayenne on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Incredible episode.

The show may leave you with constant cliff-hangers, but it also delivers on them. Glad as well that the Jane thing was addressed.

I love how Walt's character is all over the map. Is he good? Bad? The question has yet to be settled.

I'm looking forwards to how the show reveals the fall-out/aftermath from this episode as well as what's to become of the main characters.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Any predictions on how it ends? I didn't think Hank would get it, since he'd already been gunned down previously.
I'll go out on a limb.
Walt goes back after his money.
Jessie doesn't die.
Walt comes back to see his family one more time, possibly thinking about turning himself in, and his grief stricken, sister in-law guns him down with one of Hank's guns.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I can see Marie taking revenge like that, huh, didn't think about it before you mentioned it.....

My guess:

He leaves for 1 year or so, the next episode will be the aftermath of that situation.

The finale is him coming back to town with the machine gun and poison.

He kills the Aryans to get his money. Maybe frees Jesse.

Jesse kills Todd. I don't think Jesse dies either.

Maybe Walt dies, maybe not.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

1 more to go!

This last one not much happened (even though people got killed and Walt's on the lamb). Hoping for an epic finale.

Maybe Walt does blue meth and goes bonkers with the machine gun

*akakakakakakak*

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

Thanks for that link Bram. Interesting. The writer's meetings must have been terrific. Regarding this Sunday's finale, as I commented above, it is like the end of a great novel. Bittersweet.

On the one hand, I can't wait to see how they treat the various loose ends (for example, the way Walt "tortured" Jesse with the revelation that he, Walt, "let" Jane die in her own vomit,) and the "message" that is ultimately communicated. (i.e., Do the various "bad guys" get away with their badness or do they all "pay a price"? Meaning, the Nazis & Todd, Jesse, Lydia, Skyler, Saul and of course Walt. [To some extent, IMO, the H&W co-founders of "Gray Matter" have now been re-introduced into the plot line as "minor" bad guys, for minimizing/denying Walt's contribution to the company's founding. Wild how Walt's pride reaction upon hearing that Gray Matter lie created the energy to pull him out of his depressed, "I'm turning myself in," state, back toward action, now heading toward the M-60 climax...] How many more innocents (like Andrea) will suffer as collateral damage of the badness? Meaning, as far as I can think of right now, Marie & Flynn [Walt Jr.]

On the other hand, as my obsession displayed in this thread shows, I'll miss the show when it is gone.

(I'm already planning, to re-watch the series in the years to come, probably from my Concept 2 ergometer. I'm sure I'll see so many fine details in the re-watching, because it is a masterpiece.)