Costco's Kirkland Brand 18/10 Stainless Steel 13 Piece Set

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Costco's Kirkland Brand 18/10 Stainless Steel 13 Piece Set

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

A friend of mine crazy enough to repeatedly bet against the mighty NY Giants ended-up owing me $200 for lost bets. He quickly made good and instead of me pissing it away on good Sushi or something, I bought Kirkland's18/10 copper base, stainless steel cookware set, which I've been eyeing anyway. I'm good in the kitchen and our 15 year old Calphalon set was ready to be replaced since I really didn't take care of it the way I should have--like I do with my cast iron pans, which are becoming priceless as the years go by. Now I also have two All-Clad pans, each alone cost more than this entire set and I've got to tell you, this stuff is every bit as good as my All-Clad pans--no question. At $179.00 for the set, it is an absolute steal. Highly, highly, recommended and in no way is this set too good to be true.

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11503441 ... eviews.htm

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: Costco's Kirkland Brand 18/10 Stainless Steel 13 Piece S

Post by seeahill »

I've had that same Kirkland set for six years. Still goin' strong. I believe it cost well over $200 when I bought it.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

seeahill wrote:I've had that same Kirkland set for six years. Still goin' strong. I believe it cost well over $200 when I bought it.
The set is made in Thailand now by daylighting trannys, which helps keep costs down.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Trannys you say? I may need to pick up a set.

And cast iron is the bomb. We tossed our teflon shite pans and started using the 4 or 5 various sized cast iron skillets for cooking and never looked back.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I bought the wife that very same set last year. I was going to get her an All-Clad set but after looking at them both several times I could see no reason why to spend the money on the All-Clad. I can't tell any difference. I was slightly bummed though because I couldn't figure out a way to tell her it was All-Clad then pocket the difference to spend on whores and booze.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:
seeahill wrote:I've had that same Kirkland set for six years. Still goin' strong. I believe it cost well over $200 when I bought it.
The set is made in Thailand now by daylighting trannys, which helps keep costs down.
You should have contacted EZ first-- he probably could have gotten you a discount.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

11 months later, these pans are still rockin and rolling.....getting daily use for most meals, stovetop to oven and they even find themselves in the dishwasher when we're lazy. Highly recommended for the moola.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Have had my eye on that for a year or so - wasn't sure how it would hold up. Appreciate you reporting back on it.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Terry B. wrote:Have had my eye on that for a year or so - wasn't sure how it would hold up. Appreciate you reporting back on it.
The lids that All-Clad has would do William Wallace proud as shields in battle, so compared to those, the Kirkland lids are not quite all that and we have ever so slightly warped two of them just a little bit, by throwing them hot into a sink full of water....stupid shit that I should know better. Otherwise, they've been great and short of hitting the Powerball, I don't see myself investing in anything 'better' brand wise.

Here's a helpful stainless steel cookware tip: when the surface of the pans gets a little blue from high heat or long, dry heat, after cleaning (you should use Barkeeper's Friend or BonAmi) and drying, take a teaspoon of lemon juice and a dry paper towel and wipe the pan down. Presto! It will look like new and get all of the microscopic residual shit out of those tiny grooves created by spoons and whisks.

Martha Stewart and got shit on Lie-Nap!

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The Tramontina tri-ply stainless Walmart sells is also a good deal.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Terry B. wrote:Have had my eye on that for a year or so - wasn't sure how it would hold up. Appreciate you reporting back on it.
It's taken you a year to decide whether to spend $180?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

protobuilder wrote:
I am still deciding if I want to see the second Batman movie now that it's out on DVD.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Terry B. wrote:
protobuilder wrote:
I am still deciding if I want to see the second Batman movie now that it's out on DVD.
can't you get it for $3 at a subway?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

protobuilder wrote:
Terry B. wrote:
protobuilder wrote:
can't you get it for $3 at a subway?
I don't ride the subway.