Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Cryo Cuff

Post by Turdacious »

Interesting tool. Uses a small cooler filled with ice water, attached to a hose, and various cuffs to provide cooling and compression to injuries. Uses gravity to fill the cuff to provide the cooling and the compression.

The good-- mild compression and moderate cooling (never to the point of being uncomfortable); very simple setup with a few high-quality pieces; very leakproof; effectively surrounds injured area with gentle compression.

The bad-- expensive; cuffs specific to bodyparts

Verdict-- I used a friend's, so I didn't buy it. It worked well on my ankle-- easily provided cooling and compression from just below my calf to the nearly the toes. For someone with a chronic condition or need (or maybe post surgery), it may be a great purchase-- but not worth the price for keeping in the average toolbox. Would have loved to have had it when my ankle injury gave me a very swollen foot that looked like I had serious diabetes, but the price is an issue.

http://www.djoglobal.com/products/airca ... -ic-cooler
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Re: Cryo Cuff

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I had one for my knee (borrowed/given and then given back) that was pretty good, but after heavy use, it stops filling up all the way. Funny you're posting this, I was just looking up other icing options on Amazon.

I agree that it's nice to have at that price. If it were under $50, I would say it's a must have as I have not figured out a redneck, homegrown substitution for the Cryo Cuff.