Denzel and The Equalizer

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Denzel and The Equalizer

Post by Shapecharge »

Enjoyed it immensely and the little girl who played Hit Girl in the Kick Ass movies is a grown woman now and ummm, I don't want to talk about this any more. The only slightly irritating thing about the movie is a little too much reliance on some MacGyver stuff that although clever and entertaining stretched the concept of "suspension of disbelief." I won't ruin for you droopy-balled, non-flossing mongoloids, but when the serious shit goes down and a team of mercenaries are after him and other people's lives are at stake he's fucking around with some barbed wire instead of picking up the silenced UMP .45 and ending the bullshit real quick. Furman will no doubt need scrotal surgery because his sac will explode when he sees Denzel run the table on some Russian mobsters. Shape gives this movie two thumbs in with a slight taint lick. I can't say for sure but it was certainly set up for a sequel.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: Denzel and The Equalizer

Post by seeahill »

Thanks. I'll go see it. We seem to have the same taste in movies.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

I took my wife and we both enjoyed it. As we opined here before, it's not much like "The Equalizer" from TV so as long as you don't have that bar set there, you will be OK. Plenty of fights, action and explosions to make anyone happy.

I was hoping Hit Girl would have a bigger or more meaningful role. We don't really know anything about the relationship between Hit Girl and The Equalizer. Did he go to the diner just to read, and she coincidentally was there, or did he go there when she was there for some other reason? I never got that their relationship ever got so close that he would go as far, literally and figuratively, as he did. Unless Equalizer just had to be the Equalizer.

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

seeahill wrote: We seem to have the same taste in movies.
...a slight taint lick?

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Shapecharge wrote:...The only slightly irritating thing about the movie is a little too much reliance on some MacGyver stuff that although clever and entertaining stretched the concept of "suspension of disbelief." I won't ruin for you droopy-balled, non-flossing mongoloids, but when the serious shit goes down and a team of mercenaries are after him and other people's lives are at stake he's fucking around with some barbed wire instead of picking up the silenced UMP .45 and ending the bullshit real quick...
Kind of like in Jack Reacher, where he just shoots the decrepit old man with one eye and two fingers, yet drops his rifle in the mud to go mano y mano with the killer sniper mercenary.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

j-cubed wrote:
Shapecharge wrote:...The only slightly irritating thing about the movie is a little too much reliance on some MacGyver stuff that although clever and entertaining stretched the concept of "suspension of disbelief." I won't ruin for you droopy-balled, non-flossing mongoloids, but when the serious shit goes down and a team of mercenaries are after him and other people's lives are at stake he's fucking around with some barbed wire instead of picking up the silenced UMP .45 and ending the bullshit real quick...
Kind of like in Jack Reacher, where he just shoots the decrepit old man with one eye and two fingers, yet drops his rifle in the mud to go mano y mano with the killer sniper mercenary.
I felt the same way about Pacific Rim. Obviously with the giant robot I'd have gone to the rocket-powered elbow first thing out of the box.
Don’t believe everything you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

OK, saw the movie on HBO last night, with the wife suggesting it. "It's got Denzel and it gets three stars." The three stars was for me.

Pretty much awesomeness, with a "shit's going down" background music for fight scenes stolen from the Bourne Identity movies. Denzel moves like an old guy who doesn't have the flexibility he once had, but retains the muscle memory of kicking ass. Instead running up and kicking one guy's ass, he walks up and kicks all of their asses.

He did go full-on McGyver in the end fight scenes, and I am thinking it was one big product placement for the big box construction store industry. He didn't take full advantage of the paints section, though, which is a big money maker for Lowes and Home Depot. Head scratch there. Wins best use of battery powered drill. That thing with the pruning saw? I'm surprised I haven't ended up like that myself, laying at the base of my ladder. Stuff's dangerous.

A few more of those, and I'll be good for another art house flick with the Better Half.
Don’t believe everything you think.