Eat and run

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Eat and run

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Eat and Run is Jurek's bio of growing up, a review of a number of races he ran in, and his becoming a vegan. It's a disappointing book compared to what it could have been. It gives you the basics on his growing up, and the races he describes, but only at a very surface level. He gives some tips on running, but again very surface -- he likes forefoot striking with 80-90 strides a minute, like controlled falling. He included a vegan recipe in each chapter, and you get some idea of how he gets enough calories and protein -- it's a lot of work. He also gives some notion of the mental discipline it takes for the ultra-long distance races as well as the 24-hour track runs, but that too is very surface, and could be summarized by his father's regular discipline comment to him growing up, which he refers to a number of times -- "sometimes you just do things."

vern

Re: Eat and run

Post by vern »

I ordered it Friday, can't wait to read it.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I resisted ordering it via e-book and the hardcover should be arriving in a day or so. The only reservation that I have is that the two excerpts that I have read online have been ripe with typos and errors which means that the folks working with Jurek didn't do their job to get it polished and up to par - will post a review when I have read through it.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

It's sort of meh.

I met him a few years back and he wasn't what I anticipated - from the book, I see that he was going through a lot then.

The co-author didn't do his job as it sort of jumped all over the place. I agree that things were discussed in a rather surface level. I liked the recipes but would prefer to have them in an appendix as it seemed odd to have his mother die then him go into how to make tofu pudding and that sort of thing.

That being said, the last 1.5 chapters were good - he said two or three things that made the entire book worthwhile though it could have been far better.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I'm not reading this crap.

Never trust a Czech.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"