Moderator: Dux

Topic author
macmad
Gunny

EliteFTS - ripping off international customers

Post by macmad »

I gave them a chance to respond to this but heard nothing back:

Hi Dave,

I just received my first and last order from EliteFTS. sale receipt 51565 I've spent over $1000US on powerlifting gear and books from US companies this year in my first year of my powerlifting career.
In December I ordered from 3 companies,
here's a comparison of the freight charged and the cost shown on the box ( all sent US postal service )
Elite FTS: Charged $42, actual Cost $ 24.35
Ironmind: Charged: $26, actual Cost $ 25.25
VSAthletics: Charged $ 35, actual cost $ 34.96
NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE????

Other companies I've ordered from this year that didn't rip me off on freight were Liftinglarge and Jackals Gym ( who actually charged $2 less than it cost ).

What pisses me off even more is that it seems like almost every week I see free shipping specials for US customers only on your website or emails.

And two days after I ordered I received an email showing you were giving free shipping and a copy of your book under the bar with all orders. Off course I was still charged for the book even though the order was delayed by two weeks.

I'm not sure if you have a deliberate policy of subsidizing your American customers by ripping off your international clients but it sure feels like it. It's hard enough here in Australia to get equipment and books without getting charged 42 percent margin on freight

Mick
Gunny

Post by Mick »

I made the same observation. I ordered the training templates booklet. Its mighty small but i figured it would clarify a few thing for me..

Charged over $20, actual Cost $2

Ive ordered goods since but that was on a special offer day. Id never order on a 'regular' day.

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach »

See, in the U.S., we call it "Shipping and Handling" and it is how many companies make a tidy profit. Particularly small infomercial type items. Like electric toothbrushes with free replacement heads for life. Sure the heads are free, but you pay $10 in S/H each time for something that costs less than a buck to send.
It is rather odd though that Elite would do that, since their products are high-dollar and should be profitable in and of themselves.

Topic author
macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

since Elite never responded to my email, I'm pushing this back up the top. Obviously Dave Tate has never read his own book about customer service.

Topic author
macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

actually got a good explanation back from Dave Tate when I resent this to his direct email address. maybe the first email got lost.
Can't edit the title but they are worth ordering from again

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

macmad wrote:actually got a good explanation back from Dave Tate when I resent this to his direct email address. maybe the first email got lost.
What's explanation?

What did he say and or do to change your mind?

BB2/75
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Mick
Gunny

Post by Mick »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
macmad wrote:actually got a good explanation back from Dave Tate when I resent this to his direct email address. maybe the first email got lost.
What's explanation?

What did he say and or do to change your mind?

BB2/75
Second!!!

whats the dealio???

Topic author
macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

the rates are automatically calculated from USPS
They get a lot of international Fraud orders, and almost a quarter of international USPS services are lost, both of which lead to overall zero profit or losses on international orders.
They are working on the freight problems.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

macmad wrote:the rates are automatically calculated from USPS
They get a lot of international Fraud orders, and almost a quarter of international USPS services are lost, both of which lead to overall zero profit or losses on international orders.
Zero profit/loss = net loss when it also pisses off your customers and damages your rep. Sensible people wouldn't use a company that loses 25% of their shipments.

GDG!
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Having done some international shipping, you'd be shocked what a pain it is and how fast the rates mount. It wasn't uncommon for the shipping on a relatively light luxury item to surpass its value. It's ungodly on items that start to weigh a few pounds. Often people thought they were being taken for a ride when in fact they were practically getting a subsidy on their S&H.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

"Zero profit/loss = net loss when it also pisses off your customers and damages your rep. Sensible people wouldn't use a company that loses 25% of their shipments. "

For small stuff there isn't a lot of choice.
I've always thought US post was pretty reliable and all my shipments from various companys have been signiture required, but apparantly tracking at the supplier end isn't so easy and a lot of the time they have no choice but to take customers word for it.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

USPS is pretty reliable internally but they have two inconveniences:

They only track insured packages.

They will only track those packages after one month from mailing date.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Mick
Gunny

Post by Mick »

macmad wrote:the rates are automatically calculated from USPS
All's this does is point out something on their side (elitefts) is fucked. Look at the postage cost of jackels, ironmind - they have there shit in order. USPS must be a wank company.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Mick wrote: All's this does is point out something on their side (elitefts) is fucked. Look at the postage cost of jackels, ironmind - they have there shit in order. USPS must be a wank company.
That's my point. UPS is international, Fedex, etc. Lots of folks ship internationally all the time, so what's Elite's problem?

GDG!
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

aptdwler
Staff Sergeant

Post by aptdwler »

I'm sorry, but this is BS. There is no way in hell USPS looses 25% of international packages. MAYBE, IF your stupid enough to ship to a third world country, valuables, uninsured, maybe. To Australia, NO FING WAY. I use to ship a ton international, ALL by USPS, I NEVER had anything get lost. Shipments were often slow to Australia, and New Zealand, due there customs opening every single package, but LOST no....

If they want to charge a handling fee, fine, but don't give some BS excuse to justify it....

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

25% may be an exageration, but the reason UPS and Fedex charge more and dominate the shipping business is because they don't give businesses these kinds of headaches.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

macmad wrote:"Zero profit/loss = net loss when it also pisses off your customers and damages your rep. Sensible people wouldn't use a company that loses 25% of their shipments. "

For small stuff there isn't a lot of choice.
I've always thought US post was pretty reliable and all my shipments from various companys have been signiture required, but apparantly tracking at the supplier end isn't so easy and a lot of the time they have no choice but to take customers word for it.
Dude you want to buy a bridge?

Holy shit! You bought that story? Even if true (in an alternate universe) what was his excuse for the 18 month turn around time?

BTW- I'm the representative for a former African dictator. Before being deposed he transfered a large sum of money into a special swiss bank account. In order to access this account this former dictator needs an account (preferably Australian) to transfer this money into. For security reasons he can not do this himself. The total amount transfered is upwards of $20,000,000 US. If you send me your bank account number, date of birth, mothers maiden name, copy of your birth certificate, a digital copy of your signature we will transfer this money into your account and then out of the account to our new account. In payment for these services we will pay you a finders fee of 10% or $2,000,000 US.

BB2/75
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Turd Ferguson wrote:25% may be an exageration, but the reason UPS and Fedex charge more and dominate the shipping business is because they don't give businesses these kinds of headaches.
Then build into your S&H charges the cost of insurance or only ship FedEx/UPS.

Macmad is insane if he believes that BS story.

BB2/75

Topic author
macmad
Gunny

Post by macmad »

now I'm not so sure. amazing how this has generated so many responses this time around. I'll probably only order stuff I can't get from Ironmind anyway, like some of the training books
The other thing was how emailing to dave's direct address gets a response within an hour but the customer service email didn't get answered at all. Wasn't hard to guess his personal address either.

Mick
Gunny

Post by Mick »

Things have not got better. In fact - WORSE..

added a new book to the cart..

$44.76 shipping. FUCK YOU!

$44.76 WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!

RyaWall

Post by RyaWall »

We are getting revenge for taxation without representation. Dave Tate is dressed like an Indian and dropping tea in the Boston Harbor as we speak.