Gravity 3D

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Gravity 3D

Post by nafod »

The movies opens with some dialog about how sound doesn't travel in a vacuum, and in fact for much of the movie the only sound heard is the fap-fap-fap of Sandra Bullock fanboys pleasuring themselves to the sight of her floating in her undies and tank top. Turns out zero G is a rack-friendly environment. Plus she acts the hell out of this movie, and is a sure Oscar nominee.

The "love interest" is George Clooney who does an awesome job as stud space explorer but (spoiler alert) he gets killed off (you think) fairly early and so its just you and Sandra in the vastness of space. There are probably some laws of physics being violated as Sandra goes on a progressive dinner from shuttle to international space station to Chinese space station that is parked in "row earth orbit". Too row in fact, but I'll say no more.

With the 3D glasses of course bolts float in front of your eyes and debris is floating around, and if you saw it in 2D you'd spend a lot of your time thinking, "I bet this is the shit in 3D." It is. Save the 2D for at home. I'm usually not a 3D fan.

Really, the Earth should get the Oscar as best actor, because it pretty much steals every scene in the movie. After seeing this, astronauts of the future will look out their windows and say "meh".

Awesome movie. I'll go see it again.
Don’t believe everything you think.

JimZipCode

Re: Gravity 3D

Post by JimZipCode »

Fucking awesome.

I started to say to my wife as we were leaving, "Best science fiction film ever," and then I realized – it's not science fiction at all, is it? We have all that stuff, now. But if you've been reading sf all your life, the content is very familiar, thinking back especially to the "hard" sf of the ~40s & 50s, like the Heinlein stories that revolve around survival in your space suit & the challenges of maneuvering in zero-G.

Very tense & suspenseful from about 15 mins in, all the way to the end of the movie. Trying to describe it more without giving away too much: what this movie reminds me of is those scenes from The Abyss, like where Ed Harris & Mary Elizabeth Spaghettios are trapped in the wrecked sub, and it's filling with water, and they have to make urgent choices. The whole movie is like that, 75 mins of that. But excellently, superbly done.

Pay the extra money to see it in IMAX 3D. This movie deserves it. Stunning visuals. It's an "experience" movie. A lot of movies are supposed to be that: this one actually is.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Is the 3D better than it was in Avatar? All I heard before Avatar was how amazing the 3D was, and I ended up hating it. If I had watch that movie again, I'd rather see it in black and white than 3D.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Beautifully shot and acted. Sparsely written dialog. Amazing 3D. This movie was 90 minutes of tension that left me exhausted at the end.* No cheesy Hollywood-style flashbacks to her kid, etc. I'd recommend it for sure, but you HAVE to see it in 3D.

*Like a camping trip with Shape.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

But there's cuddling with me afterwards.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

The smell of sterno and burning sensation in one's nether regions diminishes the cuddling benefits.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Pinky wrote:Is the 3D better than it was in Avatar? All I heard before Avatar was how amazing the 3D was, and I ended up hating it. If I had watch that movie again, I'd rather see it in black and white than 3D.
You'd lose all the magic of the tree-sex scene in black and white.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Shit was pretty awesome.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Pinky wrote:Is the 3D better than it was in Avatar? All I heard before Avatar was how amazing the 3D was, and I ended up hating it.
Blows Avatar all to hell.

Visually, and god knows in terms of plot & dialog.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Good flick. Definitely needs to be seen on the big screen in 3D.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

Definitely see it in 3D.
Prior to this I had seen only one 3D movie, The Last Airbender, and swore I'd never bother again.
Last night I dodged debris hurtling through space. Twice. And I didn't get a headache.
Even without the 3D, it's a terrific story, well told and well acted.
And Sandra Bullock did look hawt in the tank top and tight little undies.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Well-done movie. But no zombies or space aliens. Bullock was very good, and Clooney was fine. He was a bit too Clooney in his last scene, but I think there was a good reason for that.

I didn't mind the 3D, but it didn't make the movie.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Saw it in 3D, was great, I can understand why it's #1 again.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I saw that motherfuckin movie last night and holy shit that was a good motherfuckin movie!

motherfuckers in space and shit

then a hot bitch crying and getting drowned in her panties

FAPFAPFAPFAP
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

and then when she's tangled in the parachute lines, all I could think of was
Spoiler: show
MOTHERFUCKING TENTACLE RAPE IS EMINENT MOTHERFUCKER!!!!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I haven't seen this, and don't plan to.

However, I do think that Sandra Bullock looks better now than she did in the late 90's when she was first on her way up.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman