GTA V

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Holy Cow

GTA V

Post by Holy Cow »

Es muy bueno. PS3, single player. Muy bueno. It's like playing through a movie from different characters' perspectives. The missions are intense, and so far both clever and diverse. In the opening tutorial, the very first scene, you rob a bank with three other guys, and you get in a car chase with the cops. A lot of the small details are fun too, like the radio stations, or the cinematic camera option.

Here's the trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-xHcvug3WI[/youtube]

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Re: GTA V

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm a PC gamer, and the PC conversion of IV was utterly shit...that plus I don't have the time to do all the other things I want to do these days, I'll definitely be waiting until it's on deep discount on Steam or some other such PC download store.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Will probably get it in a couple of weeks because the reviews are so stellar. I suspect they upped the "wow factor" in response to the Saints Row franchise. GTA 4 damn near turned me against Rockstar games...that is the most over rated piece of shit that has ever been released. Typical mission = "Niko...cousin...need you to drive me across town to get my dry cleaning!!!"

This game looks great from the previews, and it sounds like they have fixed the most annoying aspects of past games (checkpoint system is now in place so you don't have to restart failed missions from the fucking get go).

Topic author
Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

I haven't played the past GTA games, but the check point thing is a big deal here. GTA V won't notify you when you've hit a Restart point during a mission, but usually it's pretty obvious: Right before I got in this gun fight, right before I got in this car chase, etc. And there's a role playing aspect to the characters, so that, e.g., you can practice shooting at the range and improve your accuracy stat, or play sports and improve your strength stat, which helps in fist fights. I've only played tennis, and it's a passably good tennis game-within-the-game.

There's a steep learning curve for the controls, but if you take your time on the tutorials, it's not too bad.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

GTA III -- and especially its standalone sequels, GTA III: Vice City and GTA III: San Andreas -- were a lot of fun. They didn't take themselves too seriously, and realized that what most people want out of a sandbox crime game is the opportunity to machine gun a bunch of pedestrians, then drive a pickup truck off a cliff and into a passing helicopter.

GTA IV was...eh. The world in which the game was set was fantastic, but IMO the game couldn't figure out whether it wanted to be a wacky larf or A Very Serious And Adult Meditation On Violence. And, as Kaz said, every time you started doing something fun your asshole cousin would ring your cellphone and ask you to take him bowling. Plus, again, the PC port was teh suck. And at the same time, the Saints Row games were letting you squeeze your obese Asian lady gangster into a luchador outfit and spray shit on buildings for money, and it was like, "why do I want to take my asshole cousin bowling again?"

From what I've read so far, V looks to be more like III then IV, which would be a great step back.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I played Vice City like a maniac, and that game had a lot of personality. I tried San Andreas but it just didn't grab me...Rockstar made a nigger simulator...whooo hoooo.

They redeemed themselves as a studio, IMO, when they did Red Dead Redemption...holy shit what a great game. I was pretty sour after GTA 4, but Red Dead put me back in their good graces.

The more I see and hear about this title, the more interested I'm getting.

Saints Row 3 is a great sandbox game, but it started stalling with me after awhile.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »