Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Instapaper

Post by baffled »

Awesome.

I think they have a bookmarklet for Chrome if you use it, Firefox... it's available on iPhone and iPad. Not sure about Android, but only faggots roll that way.

Send it to instapaper, and take articles, blog posts or whatever else with you to read later on.

If you're tight on time but don't want to muck up your bookmarks, it's a must have. I think it's a couple bucks, but it's worth every penny.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Instapaper

Post by Protobuilder »

Indeed. I have used it forever and if not an essential app, it's something that is damn nice to have. You can fly through 1,000+ posts on an RSS feed, Instapapering anything that looks interesting and then sit down for a nice collection of articles to read at a later date.

Beyond that, it keeps getting better and better. Some of the updates have been fantastic - hard to believe that you are able to buy something for $5 or so and have the developer come out and hand you a newer version a few months later.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Yup. I've been using it for a while now and there is nothing better.

There are a few apps out there that handle rss and social media with a "read later" sort of option, but nothing compares to Instapaper.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I just looked it up - the service is actually free. You pay for the app.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Apparently a dyslexic friendly font is available now.

Not going to make the insensitive joke I was planning.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I thought you were joking for a moment.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I have used this forever but am not sure how I use it. I tag articles then come back and read them...later...if I remember.

Are there some black belt hacks that I don't know about?

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Terry B. wrote:I have used this forever but am not sure how I use it. I tag articles then come back and read them...later...if I remember.

Are there some black belt hacks that I don't know about?
Here you are, bro.

http://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/2012/08 ... wer-users/

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I've actually moved over to pocket
- Buck Brannaman

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I like Pocket. I will sometimes read an article on my phone using Pocket even though I'm sitting in front of computer monitors.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I like the tagging and all in pocket a little better too. Helps to keep some workflows a little more organized with less effort than Instapaper.

I put work stuff into Pocket and random bullshit I just want to read later into Instapaper.
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Pocket looks nice but the people in the promo video really, really annoyed me so I probably will stay with Instapaper and try to make that work.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

But Pocket's free (at the moment)... They annoyed you that much?
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:But Pocket's free (at the moment)... They annoyed you that much?
I get easily annoyed.

If it's free, I will check it out. I do prefer having a few apps that I like and use the shit out of rather than trying everything that comes out and like enough about Instapaper to work things out.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:But Pocket's free (at the moment)... They annoyed you that much?
I get easily annoyed.

If it's free, I will check it out. I do prefer having a few apps that I like and use the shit out of rather than trying everything that comes out and like enough about Instapaper to work things out.
I actually like to integrate things between Mr Reader on my iPad and send it to Pocket. I can then do some things with workflows to make my job a little easier.

As a pairing, Mr Reader and Pocket work better than Instapaper, but if you don't do the type of work I do, it may not matter much.

I think Pocket is about as good as it gets though. Easier to deal with and sort out specific content pieces etc. Works in Chrome, Firefox etc.
- Buck Brannaman