John Carter

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

John Carter

Post by Shapecharge »

I wouldn't have normally gone to see this but a few friends wanted to go so I went. Saw it at an IMax in 3D. Some of you may have actually read the stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs, however I have not so I didn't go in with much expectations. I thought the movie did a good job of putting it all together for you if you had no idea about the character. The chick who plays the princess is going to be the new Mrs. Shapecharge if I had my way. Overall I thought it was pretty entertaining but as with all science fiction movies which you are unfamiliar, you need to just ride the wave and not get all pissy about wierd names, plot development, odd contraptions etc. The trailer for "Wrath of the Titans" was pretty fucking wild in IMax 3D. Actually made me jump a few times.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: John Carter

Post by baffled »

Is this the princess?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

H a r d to ty[pe with oNly one h and....yes.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

She's pretty great.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

unochamp1

Post by unochamp1 »

It's got that classic Jules Verne adventure/sci-fi mood throughout. Highly recommend it.

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

unochamp1 wrote:It's got that classic Jules Verne adventure/sci-fi mood throughout. Highly recommend it.
Hi Rant!

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

I realized that A Princess of Mars is in an anthology sitting on my shelf, so I've been reading it serial-style when I'm on the can. I'm only a few dumps in, but I can't believe this stuff was published in 1912. I guess in my mind the late 20th century has seemed to hold some kind of monopoly on science fiction and fantasy, but apparently I was just plain wrong.

Somehow I never read Burroughs or Robert E. Howard as a kid, so I'm having a lot of fun reading this and some of the original Conan stories.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

I saw it in the "non=3D" format and had a fair amount of fun watching it. The twist 10 minutes from "the end" was enough to break even the most jaded adventure movie watcher's heart, and the resolution to it was great (if a little contrived.) I notice they left things wide open for a sequel.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

vern

Post by vern »

Don't hold your breath for that sequel ABW!

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d4e15530 ... z1pcrK06Nf
Walt Disney will incur a $200m writedown on John Carter, the action film based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs novel which has failed at the box office despite a $300m production budget and an extensive global marketing campaign.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Finally broke down and watched it. They turned a classic novel into a cross between Star Wars 1, Gladiator, and the Little Mermaid. Probably the worst Burroughs interpretation I've ever seen, almost like it was written by committee and they decided to save money by not hiring a script editor. Lot of cool CGI, but a lot of it was pointless. Still watchable, but given the source material, it should have been a lot better.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule