Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Klitschko

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1885281/

Worth a watch. More for non boxing fans than die-hards but well made. Great footage. The story arc is already well known so there you have that against it but a worthwhile film anyway.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Klitschko

Post by baffled »

Definitely one of my favorite sports documentaries outside of the 30 for 30 series, dogtown and z boys, and when we were kings.

Vitali's wife is pretty hot too.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Yeah...but you're an easy mark and a known Klitschko nuthugger...(hard not to be,pretty charming and intelligent guys, incredible study is disparate styles)

The wife was pretty bangin. A lifelong Big Earl fan, I have developed a late in life weakness for the type. *Spoiler...hottest moment in the film...Vitali's comeback fight, camera pans to wife as she's yelling for him, subtitles read. "Wooooohoooo" (in Ukrainian? weird) My heart goes pitter pat.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

This is true. I am an unabashed hugger of nuts when it comes to the Klitschkos. I think they'll be like Lewis and appreciated far more when they're gone.

I liked that scene. It was interesting when his wife was talking about how the brothers were different.

Vitali seems to be very much a protective big brother to Waldimir. A lot of great stuff in the movie and worth the time to watch it.

It'll be interesting to see if Vitali runs for president and if his party or a coalition can get anything done. He's very vocal in Ukrainian politics with regard to his opposition to the current administration.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

It's a great option for not boxing fans as an intro. Story is great and they are both so obviously well outside the norm in terms of thoughtful athletes.

Natalia...

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Yeah, I'll definitely admit that knowing about the Klitschkos outside of the ring makes me a bigger fan of them inside the ring.

It seems like the fighters coming out of the old Soviet Bloc are more sporting than the fighters coming out of Western countries.
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Ok flick, the family comes across as very likeable. The middle portion about stitches and injuries was a little odd though and didn't fit with the rest of the narrative.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:Ok flick, the family comes across as very likeable. The middle portion about stitches and injuries was a little odd though and didn't fit with the rest of the narrative.

that part got a little long.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Yeah, that could have been shortened a little, but it didn't bother me and I still found it interesting, but don't really feel like it had to be there for the film to make sense or come together.

- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

baffled wrote:Yeah, that could have been shortened a little, but it didn't bother me and I still found it interesting, but don't really feel like it had to be there for the film to make sense or come together.
It was a film about boxers, with a third of the movie dedicated to how stupid it is for people to get involved in boxing. Not cool on the part of the filmmaker, that narrative should have been left out or countered. As a somewhat-educated boxing fan that pissed me off.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule