Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Knuckleball!

Post by Turdacious »

Documentary in ESPN 30/30 style about a science that only artists understand. Good segments with modern guys and some of the retired knucklers. Biopic portions about Wakefield and Dickey (done before his Cy Young season) were excellent. Both come across as genuinely likeable. Lots of inside baseball stuff, probably a must watch for baseball fans. Non baseball fans not so much. Streaming on Netflix. Not a normal sports documentary, but very good.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

lasalle

Re: Knuckleball!

Post by lasalle »

Relatively interesting, but waaayyy too long. There was a New Yorker profile on R.A. Dickey a few weeks ago that hit the major points of that movie in a few short pages. I'd say that movie is for the baseball obsessive only.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Have this on tap for this weekend. Dickey gave a great interview on NPR several months ago about it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I thought this was pretty kickass. A little insider knowledge for some people but well done. If you don't walk away from it thinking Wakefield is a total badass you might be un-redeemable.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Yeah, I saw it this weekend, and I really enjoyed it.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Watched it yesterday with my wife and daughter. Great doc and I fucking despise baseball.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Pretty big fan of all the 30/30 "movies" I've seen. Some really top-notch stuff made by real fans of the subject.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Have this on tap for this weekend. Dickey gave a great interview on NPR several months ago about it.
“You need to find somebody in the minors who has all the intangibles, a great kid, just a little short on talent, not quite going to make it,” says Rick Waits, the Mariners’ pitching coach. “And you go to him and say: ‘You need one more pitch. Just an edge. And here it is.’ ”

“That,” Hector Santiago said when I related Waits’s explanation, “describes me to a T.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/magaz ... c=rss&_r=2
Strong article about a different but equally mythical pitch. Santiago was a 30th round pick and the definition of a 'never will be' who made it.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Did they have an aero engineering PhD talking? The aerodynamics of knuckleballs is interesting.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

nafod wrote:Did they have an aero engineering PhD talking? The aerodynamics of knuckleballs is interesting.
If I remember correctly, no. I generally when they have someone who really understands and can explain the science, but in this case, IMHO, it would have taken away from the doc.