Land of Mine

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Land of Mine

Post by Pinky »

At the end of WWII, Denmark apparently used captured German soldiers to clear their beaches of Nazi mines. The Germans, who were given minimal training and equipment died in large numbers.

Land of Mine is about a Danish soldier and the young (very young) German soldiers he is assigned. The movie very effectively leads the viewer from the standard feelings about Nazis (Fuck you, you evil bastards!) to sympathizing with the kids digging in the sand for high explosives. Of course, you also sympathize with the Danes (most of them), and their decision to use German soldiers to clear German mines.

The movie is up for a foreign film Oscar, and it very much deserves the nomination.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Land of Mine

Post by buckethead »

I heard it was ridden with keynesian economic theory

Topic author
Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Land of Mine

Post by Pinky »

The Germans did dig a lot of holes and fill them back in, but the multiplier was non-existent due to the Germans never buying anything.

Fucking Nazis.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."