Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+

Post by Bram »

Or whatever the fuck it's called.

I don't know how many Star Wars products Disney has shit out so far (the sequel trilogy, Rogue: One, Mandalorian, whatever), but goddamn each one feels like the goal is $$$$$$$ and not storytelling.

Obi-Wan, or Kenobi, or whatever, is the latest.

The idea is to flesh out Obi-Wan between the prequels (dogshit) and the original trilogy (bad-ass).

I will say this show looks good. And I liked the Grand Inquisitor...even though he has a Hyundai steering wheel sticking out of his shoulder blades. The rest of it is hot trash, and a complete waste of time. I watched Episode 5 (of 6) at least 4 times, falling asleep each attempt within a few minutes. And then I thought, "To hell with this show!" The whole thing serves no purpose.

Fuck Disney Star Wars!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

It's good, but I didn't cream my jeans like I did for Mando. Maybe it's because of my petty distain for Jedi & Sith. I tend to find them to be the least interesting thing about the Star Wars U. Lightsabers are cool, I guess.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I think old school Yoda and Obi-Wan are cool. Characters that have a sense of humor, and humility, that embody the flavor of a Taoist sage.

And I think old school Vader and the Emperor are as well. The Emperor may be a bit one-dimensional, but at least it felt like he was playing chess with his plans. And Vader is cold, composed, dangerous, and has layers with his past and desires.

I think Disney/Lucasfilm needs to create both great characters and stories. Or at least honor the ones they have. I am a fan of The Mandalorian character and the IG-88 (or whatever) was fun too, but even they can be brought down by lame side characters or meaningless fetch-quests.

The Star Wars universe is rich in possibility. It makes me sad to see it continually falling short of my hopes and expectations.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

I guess that's why I'm enjoying em. I put zero expectation on entertainment. Iffin' I dig it, fine. If I don't, OK.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

My dad worked on the original trilogy doing miniature work. I grew up getting to see first-hand how some of it was put together. Plus there is just something special or magical about those first films.

It holds a special place in my heart and the trade-off for that is a high standard.

Haha….and I just don’t like mediocrity. There’s too much awesomeness in the world to waste one’s time imo

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Fair. The ultimate sin in my book is boring. I guess saying that something didn't bore you isn't exactly high praise. Ahh, well.