Outlive by Dr Peter Attia

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

Here is his website https://peterattiamd.com/. You can get a lot of free information if you sign up for his email list. There's a paid subscription service I might get. He has a lot of videos on youtube that are very informative.

I read about 30 percent of his book Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity. He talks about lifespan versus healthspan. One can live a long life and not be very healthy. Unfortunately, my parents and in-laws fit that description. You can't do medical experiments to determine what will keep people healthy and live to a very old age. His and everybody else's prescriptions involve a lot of conjecture.

I've upped my protein intake after listening to one of his youtube interviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmG2y4 ... terAttiaMD

I can't discern any difference in how I feel. I'm taking my time reading the book. There's only so much change I can do at once. He wants people to do 4 forty-five minute cardio sessions a week at about 85 percent of their max heart rate what's called zone 2 cardio for probably 9 months. Basically, someone should be able to know you're exercising but not panting. That's so your mitochondria that deliver energy to the body will be at their healthiest. Then add in zone 5 cardio - getting your heart rate up close to maximum. There's no way I'll do that much cardio. There's no research to support that it actually works to keep you healthier and live longer and what's the point of living longer if you have to do a lot of stuff you can't stand?

He said he takes most everybody off of strength training and works on improving their movement quality and then puts them back on it when it's improved enough. There are a lot of people selling health and longevity. He's one of them, but at least he can read medical research, a lot of which is terrible. He also has experience treating patients in different medical settings including private practice.

More people die from falls after the age of 65 than anything else.
https://www.google.com/search?q=death+f ... e&ie=UTF-8

If they were stronger that wouldn't happen. A friend of mine from high school just fell and hit his head and is on a ventilator. He is expected to recover. His sister wrote he has 9 lives. I think he has a lot more than that. He almost died a number of times.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

A lot of health and wellness habits feel good immediately.

Sleep well? You’ll feel better all day. Exercise? You’ll feel better all day. Eat healthy? You’ll feel better for a few hours.

Living life in a way centered around feeling better fifty years from now is a weird ask. So is 4 days x 45 minutes of cardio a week. Haha, 45 minutes x 1 day a week would be great for a lot of people.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Topic author
lenny
Staff Sergeant

Post by lenny »

It is a weird ask that people should cultivate a lifestyle to feel better 50 years from now. Most modern societies are going to have a huge number of elderly compared to younger people who will have to at least partially support them. It is going to become a huge problem.

https://www.pgpf.org/blog/2022/08/the-r ... ne-further

In 1960, there were 5.1 workers per beneficiary; that ratio has dropped to 2.8 today.

A healthier elderly population will ease a lot of the burdens on themselves and the whole society. Here is Peter Attia talking about exercise and longevity. It's 6 minutes and ten seconds. He doesn't cite where he got the data, but it's obvious that people have a higher quality of life if they are in better physical condition and don't get injured from stupid training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92kYDVj ... owerfulJRE

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

That video you shared with Joe Rogan is pretty wild. Been making a lot of excuses not to run — personal favorite form of cardio — but should add it in.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

He's a concierge doctor. His clients probably have a cryo-chamber ready, and will do much much more than your run-of-the-mill pt clients to fix their health and extend their 'healthspan'

He noted on one of his podcasts that a study showing that 3 hours a week: 1 session weight training, 1 zone 2 and 1 High intensity coordinated movement (? no idea what that is?) gives a 50% reduction in all cause mortality. I think what is outlined in the book is the peak before diminishing returns.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

So, I was reading this guy a few years ago and his stuff was very good. He had the ideal vibe for a medical doctor. His whole attitude and approach was exactly what you want.

Idk if he has sold out now but he was legit back then.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

riotboo wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:10 pm He's a concierge doctor. His clients probably have a cryo-chamber ready, and will do much much more than your run-of-the-mill pt clients to fix their health and extend their 'healthspan'

He noted on one of his podcasts that a study showing that 3 hours a week: 1 session weight training, 1 zone 2 and 1 High intensity coordinated movement (? no idea what that is?) gives a 50% reduction in all cause mortality. I think what is outlined in the book is the peak before diminishing returns.
It’s rucking.
https://youtu.be/OHdp75ezdyY
Discussion starts about 1:43:00
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule