Savage FV-SR

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Savage FV-SR

Post by Batboy2/75 »

I'm a .22lr nut. I currently own (4) .22lr pistols and (4) .22lr rifles and have a 5th rifle on the way. By far, my favorite .22lr is my Savage FV-SR .22lr bolt action rifle.

$250.00 out the door gets you this.

Accutrigger (Pretty good adjustable factory trigger) breaks like a glass rod.
16 inch fluted and theaded bull barrel with threaded end cap (suppressor ready)
Based on the probably the most accurate bargin .22lr you can buy- The Savage Mark ii series of rifles.
Made in the USA at a price point that boggles the mind. How savage makes money on these rifles is a mystery snd a testament to their manufacturing savy.

Here is a nice example of the accuracy while I was zeroing in the scope. 25 Yards; using CCI Mini Mags; and firing of the top of an ammo can and a sweat shirt. I forgot the bench rest at home and had to improvise. Otherwise, the 5 round group would have been one ragged hole. Even then, not too fucking bad. Easily .3 MOA at 25 yards = 1.2 MOA at 100 yards, using non match ammo and not using a bench rest. Next time out, I can almost guarantee sub 1 MOA at 100 yards.

Plus some pictures of the rifle after having fun with some orange spray paint and a home made stencil.

ALL THE FUCKING WAY!
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I have a .300 Savage with a swap out .410 barrel, bolt action, I'm taking to Texas with me. beautiful gun, except my old man left it behind the seat in his truck and it needed to be reblued

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

And while I'm not a shooter, it's the gun I nabbed 3 out of 4 deer the last time I hunted at the age of 15.

davidc
Sgt. Major

Re: Savage FV-SR

Post by davidc »

Batboy2/75 wrote:I'm a .22lr nut. I currently own (4) .22lr pistols and (4) .22lr rifles and have a 5th rifle on the way. By far, my favorite .22lr is my Savage FV-SR .22lr bolt action rifle.
What are your other 22s?

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

davidc wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:I'm a .22lr nut. I currently own (4) .22lr pistols and (4) .22lr rifles and have a 5th rifle on the way. By far, my favorite .22lr is my Savage FV-SR .22lr bolt action rifle.
What are your other 22s?
Ruger Charger
Ruger Mark III
Ruger 22/45 with threaded barrel
GSG 1911 clone with threaded barrel
Ruger 10/22
GSG AK Clone
AR7
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Good review. My next acquisition, after a summer carry pistol, will probably be the Savage. I read good stuff about the trigger.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

davidc
Sgt. Major

Post by davidc »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
davidc wrote:
What are your other 22s?
Ruger Charger
Ruger Mark III
Ruger 22/45 with threaded barrel
GSG 1911 clone with threaded barrel
Ruger 10/22
GSG AK Clone
AR7
I'd really like a suppressed 22 pistol.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

davidc wrote:
I'd really like a suppressed 22 pistol.
I hear the Walther P22 is quite good, and commonly available threaded. I have never tried one, though.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Re:

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I have a .300 Savage with a swap out .410 barrel, bolt action, I'm taking to Texas with me. beautiful gun, except my old man left it behind the seat in his truck and it needed to be reblued

Nice old time cartidge; Savage .300. As long as the metal isn't rusting or pitting, clean her up, keep her as is and just take care of her. I love firearms that have a worn used look. I have no safe queens or fancy rifles in my gun safe. All get plenty of use and I don't give two shits if they get a ding or a scratch. To me they are tools to be used, not objects of art to hang on a wall. My enjoyment comes from using them, not looking at them.

I'm a Savage fan and Savage is my bolt action manufacturer of choice. The barrel nut design alone is a stroke of genius. The savage bolt action is the AR of the bolt action world. Swapping out calibers and accessories is crazy easy for even the novice gun owner.

I own a Savage 110 in .270 I'm about to pimp out.

SAR

Post by SAR »

I got a savage long action in 6.5 swede

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Some more pics. 50 yards, 10 shot group with CCI Standard velocity. All shots taken off a bench with just a bipod.

A pic of the Savage cooling off.

More than pleased with CCI Standard Velocity; .75-1 MOA all day. 5 round groups, 10 round groups, or 20 round groups; didn't matter. This is now my go to round.

CCI Mini mags opened up to 1.75 MOA. American Eagle came in at 2 MOA. Federal high velocity Blue box was terrible at 25 yards, but held in a 2 MOA at 50 yards. I tried some Federal auto target and it sucked at close to 3 MOA. The big surprise was Wildcat, a round I consider trash when running my Ruger 10/22, but came in at just below 2 MOA with the Savage.

I'm going to buy a brick of Wolf Match grade or Lapua to try out. I'd like to see what this rifle can really do. If I can find some CCI Stingers and Velocitors, I'll give them a try also. I have some, but I don't want to dip into my limited supply.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

I had an old Savage single shot .22 that my grandfather gave to me. Super accurate with iron sights, it was the terror of gophers, pigeons, and magpies all over Alberta. Phenomenal varmint rifle.

I regret selling it.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.