Short comic book reviews from the comically ignorant

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
milosz

Short comic book reviews from the comically ignorant

Post by milosz »

I've come, recently, to co-own a couple of comic book stores. I never read comics as a kid, really only the reprints of EC horror comics and war comics I found at the flea market. So I'm diving into this shit and using my wholesale price to fund market research.

Sledgehammer 44: Lightning War #1
Jacked this from my wall because I'm familiar with Mike Mignola and his universe, loved the Hellboy movies, etc.. Beautiful art, combining a WWII war comic w/ Lovecraftian overtones. The drawback to this kind of work, I'm finding, is that individual issues don't necessarily work as episodes - when combined into a trade paperback it's great but reading this is like catching the first 15 minutes of a show and waiting a month for the next 15.

Rover Red Charlie #1
Three dogs surviving the apocalypse - fuck yeah. A friend described it as "A Boy and His Dog" minus the useless people - pretty close to right. Some good language gags that might get old, moments of tough brutality, better written than S44. Stunning art - painted throughout, the dogs are more expressive than you'd expect while still looking like dogs.

Topic author
milosz

Re: Short comic book reviews from the comically ignorant

Post by milosz »

The Black Beetle: No Way Out - hardcover
I'm a sucker for film noir and hard-boiled fiction, so any of the series written in '30s pulp style are worth a shot for me.
Again, fantastic art, similar to S44 (I'd guess the writer/artist Francavilla is influenced by Mignola/Hellboy) and interesting use of composition, but the story itself was pretty rote, a so-so Shadow story. Worth picking up (it's cheap - $20 retail, I believe) to look at the pictures, and I'm going to read the new Black Beetle series starting in January (Black Beetle: Necrologue) but it needs tighter writing.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

how does one happen into comic book store ownership?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
milosz

Post by milosz »

I grew up around the stores when they were part of a larger regional chain, family is intertwined with the owners (my dad and I built out all of the stores over the last 20 years, my brother was GM of the chain for years before he moved to a different part of the industry).

The owners got old and fed up with b&m retail, decided to part out the stores and since I've known them since I was a child, I went in 50/50 to buy the last two. I'm not an avid comic fan (obviously) but the numbers were good and I figure I might have a slight advantage over the average Comic Book Guy insofar as I have no loyalty to any character or comic company.