The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter than You Think

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Spider Monkey

The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter than You Think

Post by Spider Monkey »

by Brian Hare, Vanessa Woods.
Great book if you like and are interested in dogs. It gets a little "sciency" at times but is entertaining enough to be engaging. Dogs are awesome.
Bread and circuses.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter than You Think

Post by TerryB »

I hate pets. I"m not intersted in dogs at all. much less books about dogs. I don't care if dogs are smarter than einstein. They annoy the shit out of me.

my "wife" has some book in the bathroom right now written by monks about dog training

and I'm like, wtf

monks? training dogs? well what the fuck else would you do if you can't bang broads, lift weights, take drugs, and drive fast? train fucking mutts and write a lame book about it

fucking monks

anything for a buck

anyway, i'm not reading this book you reviewed, FYI
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

msr2112
Staff Sergeant

Post by msr2112 »

Dogs are incredibly awesome. If you disagree you are wrong.
Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift this heavy-ass weight!! -Ronnie Coleman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I like frodo's response and I like dogs. I'm conflicted. I'm also reading this book in digital format...slowly though.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

a digital book about dogs

now i've seen everything

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

protobuilder wrote:I hate pets. I"m not intersted in dogs at all. much less books about dogs. I don't care if dogs are smarter than einstein. They annoy the shit out of me.

my "wife" has some book in the bathroom right now written by monks about dog training

and I'm like, wtf

monks? training dogs? well what the fuck else would you do if you can't bang broads, lift weights, take drugs, and drive fast? train fucking mutts and write a lame book about it

fucking monks

anything for a buck

anyway, i'm not reading this book you reviewed, FYI
Awesome post, Proto. "The Monks of New Skete" published that book in the 1970's, I believe. Fucking shit stirring, opportunistic and somewhat sadistic, monks. Keep on hatin.

I rate this post Five Blueberries.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:
I rate this post Five Blueberries.

Excellent review.

Most animals are a lot dumber than we give them credit for, but they are loyal as fuck and funny as hell. My stupid rabbit that likes to have sexual relations with her stuffed turtle makes me laugh for hours with her silly hijinks, but I digress.

I'm taking my neighbor's stupid lab for a run in the park tomorrow and i'm very much looking forward to it. Mainly cause she's lazy and out of shape so I'll have to walk a bit, but also because she thinks I'm the alpha and hangs on my every word.

Maybe I'm a man after all . . .

(satire, its satire)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

syaigh wrote: Maybe I'm a man after all . . .

(satire, its satire)
As long as you're certain that you do not have a penis, nor did you ever have one, send some pics my way. I hear you're pretty hot.

Topic author
Spider Monkey

Post by Spider Monkey »

I finished the book. 47% of it was footnotes. Basically, dogs love us and we love dogs. Always knew that, but it's nice to have a bunch of sciency stuff to back it up.
Bread and circuses.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I wish Cougie was still here.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Shapecharge wrote:I wish Cougie was still here.
He is.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Hilarious!

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:
syaigh wrote: Maybe I'm a man after all . . .

(satire, its satire)
As long as you're certain that you do not have a penis, nor did you ever have one, send some pics my way. I hear you're pretty hot.
Only as compared to Shaf wearing a bustier and a blonde wig. (He makes a much better redhead)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Shhhh.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Those rapists at Amazon are charging $15 for the Kindle ebook.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

"The Monks of New Skete" published that book in the 1970's, I believe.

Also good is the Evans Guide to Housetraining Your Dog. Evans was one of the Skete monks, I believe, and dropped out. That book was very helpful to me when I first got my dog.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Spider Monkey

Post by Spider Monkey »

I read the New Skete Monks book years ago and only found it moderately helpful. The best advice I've gotten on training dogs is to view the dog as the trainer. "If I sit she pets me." If I ring the bells she opens the door". "If I ring the bells and look at my crate she will give me a cookie and I can go to bed", etc.
The research in this book supports that dogs can make inferences about human behavior and explains how they train us, which is kind of cool. As long as these two bitches think they are training me, I can make them do anything!
Bread and circuses.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

This is what you need to understand about dog training, put into human terms:

Positive Reinforcement: One gets a White Castle Cheeseburger when they sit in a chair per your command.

Negative Reinforcement: You stop blaring Justin Bieber music when one sits in a chair per your command.

Positive Punishment: You smack someone in the head until they sit in a chair per your command.

Negative Punishment: You block the Cookies Thread until they sit in a chair per your command.

The 'problem' with most modern American dog training 'methods' is they only want to talk about Positive Reinforcement, while most animals, dogs and humans included, learn best with a combo of Positive Reinforcement and Positive Punishment. NR and NP are very difficult to do with dogs, aside from low level escape conditioning and that needs to be done under the guidance of someone awesome like me.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Agree with Nappy, my dog training guru....

When I got Dexter, I realized that I had been training dogs the same way for about 50 years. I thought I should look into some new models. And I read about pure positive reinforcement which means you'll be carrying a sandwich bag full of cut up hotdogs for the rest of your life with the dog. And, on page 93 of the most recommended training book, the author says, "it can take three years of constant practice to get a consistent recall." Meaning, it'll take three years to teach the dog to come.

I'm in Montana. It's dog heaven. Most places, dogs run free. To keep a dog on a leash for 3 years: THAT'S cruel.

Anyway, following Nappy's plan I had a consistent recall in less than a week. Dex and I took a 10 mile hike in the Absaroka wilderness that weekend. No leash needed.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:This is what you need to understand about dog training, put into human terms:

Positive Reinforcement: One gets a White Castle Cheeseburger when they sit in a chair per your command.

Negative Reinforcement: You stop blaring Justin Bieber music when one sits in a chair per your command.

Positive Punishment: You smack someone in the head until they sit in a chair per your command.

Negative Punishment: You block the Cookies Thread until they sit in a chair per your command.

The 'problem' with most modern American dog training 'methods' is they only want to talk about Positive Reinforcement, while most animals, dogs and humans included, learn best with a combo of Positive Reinforcement and Positive Punishment. NR and NP are very difficult to do with dogs, aside from low level escape conditioning and that needs to be done under the guidance of someone awesome like me.
"Dog Training For Humans"
One of America's most successful executive recruiters and effective dog trainers shows you how we're not so different from our faithful canine companions. Use these simple techniques to etc. & etc.

Self help + dogs = Napoleon Hill riches (0.5% of the net & a gold plated Nutribullet to the Donkey please)
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Not a bad idea at all.