The Hobbit

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

The Hobbit

Post by TerryB »

I liked it. First half was a little boring. The end was cool. It's a total ripoff of the Lord of the Rings movies though. They even used some of the same actors and this one has a ring too.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Hobbit

Post by Bram »

Glad to hear a positive comment. Going tomorrow. I feel like there should be more hype about it, but a lot of people must have disliked the Lord of the Rings.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm going Wednesday.

I can live Tweet it from the theater for the poor people who can't afford it.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

i'd like that very much, nafod

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

wut?
- Buck Brannaman

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

It's worth watching on the big screen, not sure about 3D though. Golum is creepier in this one than in any of the others-- that part was really well done. Not as good as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but still really good.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Are they trying to stretch this shit into two movies, or is this the whole story? I thought I heard there was going to be two movies, which is ridiculous considering the Hobbit is one book.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Twill be two movies.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Turdacious wrote:Twill be two movies.
Three.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Turdacious wrote:It's worth watching on the big screen, not sure about 3D though.
You've never even seen it on DVD and yet you are spouting off this kind of crap as if we should believe you.

Stretching the book into three movies is as masterful as it is shameful.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I liked it, and I can't say I liked the Lord of the Rings movies. I thought they looked great, and had good action, but felt stretched out in some parts and shortened in others. Plus I didn't really like any of the main characters in those movies, aside from Gandalf. Everybody is too serious in those films, makes it too heavy.

This movie is long, but only 2-3 scenes felt that way. There's added things to the book, but they were good additions from what I could tell.

New Zealand looks the best it's looked in any of the movies. And Martin Freeman (the main character) is funny.

I saw it with 4 other people and I was the only one who enjoyed it. But I wasn't on the fence about it. It's also got poor reviews on rotten tomatoes, and skyfall got a 92...and I thought skyfall was kind of stupid. So I may be out of step with public opinion, but I enjoyed it -- felt it was complete, not some lame cliffhanger ending being split into 3 movies -- and think it's the best of the 4 Peter Jackson middle earth movies.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I heard that the dwarves spent 45 minutes trashing his house, and then...broke into song.

Yeah...I can't wait to see that shit.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

I first read The Hobbit in 3rd grade. Beat that fuckers!

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
Turdacious wrote:It's worth watching on the big screen, not sure about 3D though.
You've never even seen it on DVD and yet you are spouting off this kind of crap as if we should believe you.

Stretching the book into three movies is as masterful as it is shameful.
I don't really see the shame. This motherfucker and the sequels are going to make a billion dollars or more.

Masterful bitches. Motherfucking masterful.
- Buck Brannaman

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Second grade...no lie.

I've read and re-read the Hobbit more times than I can remember. It's the most accessible and arguably the best of Tolkien's work.

I found the raging faggotry Jackson interjected into Frodo and Samwise was insufferable, and hope there isn't bullshit like that in the Hobbit.

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat »

I was either seven or eight when I read it, too. The animated version for TV was burned into my skull at age six and I never recovered. I've been a life-long Tolkien nut and I like the Jackson movies for what they are: A semi-faithful attempt to bring a dense epic narrative that was never intended to be filmed to the screen. I agree with Shaf that "The Hobbit" it is the most accessible of Tolkien's works and probably still my favorite story, since I was obsessed with the book as a child. For sheer epic-ness, though, you have to digest the entirety of "The Silmarillion," which, contextually, makes the War of the Ring look like a petty skirmish. I doubt it will ever be turned into a film, simply because of the scope and the enormous cast of characters. It also has plenty of far-out, cosmic stuff that is hard to even imagine in your head when you're reading it. I couldn't see a film, even with all the FX artists in the world plying their craft, doing that book justice.

I haven't watched "The Hobbit" yet, but I've heard from a friend I respect that it's pretty awesome and I need to see it pronto. He also said don't listen to the haters and see it in HFR 3D which he described as 'eye-bleedingly gorgeous.'

Jay

Post by Jay »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I found the raging faggotry Jackson interjected into Frodo and Samwise was insufferable, and hope there isn't bullshit like that in the Hobbit.
I'm with you on that

"Oh Frodo"

"Sam!!!!"

If they broke out into full on buttsex in the movie it would be less gay than that.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Read The Hobbit around the same time as the rest of you. Honestly, I didn't really like it then and never made it through the Lord of the Rings. I have the latter sitting on my shelf and suppose that I need to push myself through it some day.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Jay

Post by Jay »

I never got into that fantasy shit as a kid... never read The Hobbit but I read LoTR as a teenager and actually enjoyed it, but not to the extent some people do.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I played dungeons and dragons as a kid, and I read constantly. Couldn't get into the hobbit at all, and never even tried lord of the rings.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

IMO the scenes in the goblin mountain make or break the movie-- they have the best action/comedy sequences and the drama between Bilbo and Gollum is the strongest in the movie. Either they bring it all together or they don't. For me they worked, but it took 2.5 hours to get there.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

I just saw it with my dad. Loved it. If you need to talk your wife into going, tell here there is a hot dwarf. Seriously, Thorin is very easy on the eyes. :)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:I played dungeons and dragons as a kid, and I read constantly. Couldn't get into the hobbit at all, and never even tried lord of the rings.
Know what? I was similar to you, but had a hard time with the books. However, I loved the movies, especially on DVD cause you could cut out all the interludes of hobbit whining on the Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit doesn't have any of that emotional crap and Bilbo is just as charming, if not more, than his animated version.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

ive seen this movie three times now

wtf is going on with my life?

it was beter the 2d time but not better the d tatime

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Saw it last night. Nothing can replace the book for me, but it was well done and magnificent to look at. I still can't understand Gollum. Theater was full.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party