The Marinovich Project

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

The Marinovich Project

Post by Holland Oates »

Fucking heart breaking. A waste of talent and seeing Marv breakdown when considering doing something different with Todd is fucking heart wrenching.

Great doc.

The ESPN 30 for 30 docs are fucking legit.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Re: The Marinovich Project

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

Yeah, I was going to SC during the Marijaunavich experiment. It was good and it was bad. I will have to check it out.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Good movie, about half-way through.

Marv succeeded in making a super athlete. All that pressure had it's flip-side in heavy drug use and him coming across like a mega-asshole. I'm glad my Dad was hands off, it would have been excruciating to deal with that pressure and attitude from Marv.

Despite Todd's fuck-ups, he seems like a honest, humble person.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Bram wrote:Good movie, about half-way through.

Marv succeeded in making a super athlete. All that pressure had it's flip-side in heavy drug use and him coming across like a mega-asshole. I'm glad my Dad was hands off, it would have been excruciating to deal with that pressure and attitude from Marv.

Despite Todd's fuck-ups, he seems like a honest, humble person.

I have friend who got certified with Marinovitch. He is exactly as you'd expect. Total Asshat. Possibly brilliant, probably not.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I'm all for guiding your children to a certain degree, but planing their whole time for them, what they are going to be, period and then driving them like a slave is abuse.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
I have a friend who got certified with Marinovitch. He is exactly as you'd expect. Total Asshat. Possibly brilliant, probably not.
It inspired me to do a search on here, found a thread where Fat Cat was asking about it.

Those videos look super kooky. I'm not sure what the touted benefits are or why he switched from weight training people to doing random balance stuff and the fan-based resistance.

Curious about the agility drills, would be fun to include that kind of stuff.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

DARTH wrote:I'm all for guiding your children to a certain degree, but planing their whole time for them, what they are going to be, period and then driving them like a slave is abuse.
The thing that was shocking, was at the end they have this great relationship and make art together.

I think where Marv crossed the line was in preventing him from hanging out with other kids and doing kid stuff. Something about Todd being 12 and having to choose between training or goofing off with friends.

Of course, him yelling at him and being generally intense!!!!! was overboard. I dunno.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Bram wrote:
DARTH wrote:I'm all for guiding your children to a certain degree, but planing their whole time for them, what they are going to be, period and then driving them like a slave is abuse.
The thing that was shocking, was at the end they have this great relationship and make art together.

Well to his credit he admits he fucked up so I bet he made a real effort to make things better after it and a son can forgive a lot when there is an effort to make amends, it's his Daddy after all.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Marinovich is in the same league as Jay Schroeder...has that full on mystery magic training going on, couched in just enough scientific sounding babble to fool the uninitiated, the ignorant, and journalists, and has never duplicated their one big success.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

I find Schroeder far more interesting than Marinovich. Marinovich is all bullshit comfortably obscured by his training elite athletes.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

The Long Duration Iso's have a place. Not magic.. but a tool. There is no magic, really. Maybe MetRx and Kettlebells,. but that's it. ;-)
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I read so much bullshit about Schroeder...talks about 1000s of professional athletes trained. Schroeder used to have a pack of super stupid articles in PLUSA, where the workouts were shit like

Week 1:
100%x1,1,1,1,1

Week 2
100%x2,2,2

Week 3
100%x3,3

Week 4
105%x1,1,1,1,1

Etc

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Schroeder, how far did any of his athletes ever go?

Archeletta (spell?) what did he really do?

I bet Schroeder made a ton of money for a time?

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

DARTH wrote: Archeletta (spell?) what did he really do?
Career information
High school: Chandler (AZ)
College: Arizona State
NFL Draft: 2001 / Round: 1 / Pick: 20
Debuted in 2001 for the St. Louis Rams
Last played in 2007 for the Chicago Bears
Career history

St. Louis Rams (2001–2005)
Washington Redskins (2006)
Chicago Bears (2007)
Oakland Raiders (2008)*

*Offseason and/or practice squad member only

Career highlights and awards

2× First-team All-Pac-10 (1999–2000)
Pac-10 Defensive P.O.Y. (2000)
NFC Champion (2001)
St. Louis Rams 10th Anniversary Team

Career NFL statistics as of 2008
Tackles 530
Sacks 18.0
Interceptions 4
I have had a fair amount of interaction with Schroeder-trained guys out here in AZ. I used to buy and sell used GHD units to guys in his program who needed home units to get in their requisite 1,000 reps per day.

None of the guys I interacted with (probably 6-7...including one dude who applied for an internship with me) were involved in a sport at higher than a minor league level.

I imagine he made good money. AZ is insane for training developmental athletes and for a time Archuletta was a MASSIVE name here.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I read so much bullshit about Schroeder...talks about 1000s of professional athletes trained.
Pretty much anyone who worked in a large and/or well-known performance gym can make that claim. I could probably make a similar claim if I count all the spring training shit I did and pro team training.

This claim is nonsense at it's core but possibly technically true.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Bram wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
I have a friend who got certified with Marinovitch. He is exactly as you'd expect. Total Asshat. Possibly brilliant, probably not.
It inspired me to do a search on here, found a thread where Fat Cat was asking about it.

Those videos look super kooky. I'm not sure what the touted benefits are or why he switched from weight training people to doing random balance stuff and the fan-based resistance.

Curious about the agility drills, would be fun to include that kind of stuff.
One of our guys is a trainer for Marv, he works with Overeem and a bunch of other guys you've heard of. He's 6'7" (we call him Avatar) and a total fucking handful on the mat, but I don't know if that has to do with the Marinovich methods or the fact that the dude's 6'7" and spent his early years as a sparring partner for Rickson Gracie and Erik Paulson.

He's in Samoa right now or I could ask him more.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Fat Cat wrote:
One of our guys is a trainer for Marv, he works with Overeem and a bunch of other guys you've heard of. He's 6'7" (we call him Avatar) and a total fucking handful on the mat, but I don't know if that has to do with the Marinovich methods or the fact that the dude's 6'7" and spent his early years as a sparring partner for Rickson Gracie and Erik Paulson.

He's in Samoa right now or I could ask him more.
When he gets back see if you can get him to divulge some info.

I ended up looking a bunch more videos and he has some great, and relatively normal, athletic drills like all sorts of jumping exercises.

In my experience with my own training, and this is supported by science, you get more gains when you combine strength and explosiveness.

Saw a study that was something like:

2 inch increase in vert from squats over 8 weeks
2 inch increase in vert from plyos over 8 weeks
8 inch increase in vert from squats AND plyos over 8 weeks

I'm curious why he cuts out the strength training (or at least it seems like he does), it would be fun to check out his facility and pick his brain. I'm not far out of L.A., I might try and do that.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I checked out the website for the sports science lab:

http://www.sportsciencelab.com/

For anyone interested in the methods, there's enough free info to spend at least a couple hours looking through it.