The Raid: Redemption

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

The Raid: Redemption

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I enjoyed it. Best action movie of the last 10 years? No, don't believe the hype.

If you like Tony Jaa, then imagine Tony Jaa on steroids and meth...that's just how frenetic and brutal these fight scenes are.

The knife and machete stuff is off the chain...I dare say that Tom Furman would experience an erection lasting more than four hours upon viewing some of these scenes, and would need to seek the aid of a medical professional.

The empty hand stuff is brutal and hard hitting, and the gun play is better than your standard fare.

The storyline and acting is actually pretty decent for what basically amounts to an Indonesian action film that is an excuse to do ridiculous shit on screen with the aid of CGI and stuntmen that apparently don't give a fuck.

I like this young kid who is the lead (he's the guy from 'Merantau'), and I look forward to more of his work.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Raid: Redemption

Post by Shapecharge »

I saw Merantau not too long ago and thought it was a pretty good flick. I'll check this one out Kaz. Did you see "The Man From Nowhere" that I posted about awhile back? I've been using that as my benchmark for subtitled Asian action flicks.

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Shape, I didn't see that one, but I will look into it.

If you liked Merantau, then you should like Raid.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Great action flick. Agree with everything Kaz said. They must have run through stuntmen left and right for this movie.

Spoiler, the little psychopath bad guy was unreal, even with the benefit of special effects or whatever other tricks they may have used.

I do caution Furman against watching this for fear he'll never recover to post big tittied artist pics again.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Yeah, the little shit who played the heavy was really something else.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Damnit! I thought this was on Netflix streaming. Looks like I'll be making a movie run later.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Got an iTunes account? Hook it up with a HD rental for $4 or $5.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I had a hard time finding it. Local Wal-Mart and Best Buy did not have it. Found the Unrated version at Target.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

It's available on Amazon streaming for a couple of bucks.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It was too violent. My wife and I turned it off. Totally the opposite of Merantau which had pretty lighthearted action and a somewhat redeeming plot.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Fat Cat wrote:It was too violent. My wife and I turned it off. Totally the opposite of Merantau which had pretty lighthearted action and a somewhat redeeming plot.
Too violent? Great weeping claw hammers.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Finally saw this last night. Fucking wow. I wanted to start smashing shit and swing a machete around at 1:30 in the morning. That little bad ass bad guy was off the chazzzain. You know a whole fucking bunch of buck twenty five little stunt dudes walked away with some bruises after filming that shit.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Hmmm...I must have tuned in to the one slow spot. Some guy talking to his brother, and then the guy gets into an elevator with another guy dragging a body, and the first guy walks down a hall and goes into a room with two other guys and they talked about the dragged guy getting killed. Then I had to watch the latest episode of Wipeout.

It's on cable for free on some channel I surfed through. Will have to keep an eye out for it now.
Don’t believe everything you think.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

There are basically four spots in the movie that aren't insane.

The beginning scene when he's getting ready for work and talking to his dad about bringing his brother home. The elevator, which was still mildly WTF-ish because of the little psycho dude, the scene when they're talking about the guy who was being dragged into that elevator, and then the last scene of the movie.

The rest is, at the least, intense. On average, most of the scenes left me wondering whether they actually killed any stuntmen during filming. If I had to set an over/under, I would guess a minimum of 10 stuntmen were significantly maimed.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

You're right...that was about the slowest part.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Did we ever find out if Furman watched this?

I'm guessing that since he's been posting a little lately, that he never did.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I've been thinking about this movie this morning and I told one of the guys at work about it. I'm not a wanna-be film guy/director/writer etc. but I am an observer. Hollywood could never make this type of movie. Hollywood's star driven methodology would require the context of the film to be bent around a protagonist who had to take at least 6 months of intense preparation, diet, and workouts to get ready for the role and then another star going through the same process to provide the conflict. There's also the level of up close nasty looking violence that Hollywood could never do...there's a scene where a cop guy rolls a bad guy off of him then pulls his weapon and shoots him right in the side of the head twice and it looks like the camera is about two feet away. I recognized three people in the film and that was it.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

What about the fight when he drops that dude chin down on the busted door?

Hollywood would have a hard time with that one too.

I have no idea how they pulled it off without killing anyone. The more I think about it, the more I'm entirely unconvinced that they didn't kill or paralyze someone on the set of this flick.

Are there any Hollywood types that have the MA/acrobatic/stuntman chops to do something like this? Please, nobody say Jason Statham.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Whenever I want to get the bad taste of Hollywood out of my mouth, I just pop in The Raid and watch Mad Dog absolutely hammer fuck the shit out of guys, or that silat pretty boy go postal with his billy club and combat knife combos of sudden death and humilation. That, or the unrated version of Killer Joe and watch Gina Gershon get mouth raped with a greasy chicken leg.

I too wonder if Tom Furman has seen this cinematic gem. I can see him lounging around Chez Shaggy in his plush bath robe, smelling of Mandom, beckoning his hawt artiste girlfriend to bring him another chocolate martini, and telling nobody in particular how he would have killed that guy in only two moves instead of three.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I think the silky golden-headed smoothness that is Tom Furman posted a youtube clip of the of the hallway PR24/knife beatdown awhile back. But that doesn't mean he's seen it...he's possibly lived it.

You know that fucker never even gave us props for the film script we put together for him. There was good work done in that effort.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

That was easily one of the best threads of 2012. Imagine if that asshole had taken action and chipped off a few bucks in commissions... Mario wouldn't have to Jew everyone out of a bunch of cash each year to make sure we get 50% server up time.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I know! The Furminator only uses us to peddle products to or to stimulate hits to some obscure website. You'd think with him being knee deep in hot big-titted artist pussy he could break something off the rest of the un-hip crowd here but fuck no. I'm beginning to think that he's just a dick.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm not really sure what to make of this guy.

I mean, surely we've all been on the receiving end of some nice photos via PM, yes? Not of Shaggy's overgrown weeds, but... ya know. Right?

But on the flipside, he's peddling Kettlebell Herpes and shit in public.

Raging asshole, or evil, yet somehow benevolent genius?
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Very interesting Baff...he's been skating along under the radar for too long acting like he's our bro when really we're some kinda pawn to peddle stuff to and laugh at behind our backs because we're not hip. And lastly, anybody with that much hair at that age has to be suspect.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Are his ears pierced?
- Buck Brannaman