The Sopranos

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

The Sopranos

Post by Shapecharge »

The wife and I have been on a slow 3 month re-watch of this series, usually one in the evening maybe two on a weekend night. There's 86 total episodes. We watched it all when it was in its first run with the series ending in '07. It really is a wonderful bit of storytelling and it still holds up well. I've gotten much more out of it this second time. I highly recommend a second viewing if any of you low-T fuckers are looking for something to watch. Don't forget, you get the Bada Bing girls on occasion. I didn't know until recently that Playboy did a feature on the chicks that danced at the Bada Bing.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: The Sopranos

Post by nafod »

It took my decades, but I've convinced my wife The Godfather is the greatest movie ever.

A good time to move to the Sopranos.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I rewateched it a couple years ago, it is really weird watching a show all at once that you followed through a period of younger years.

Funny seeing Lin Manuel Miranda as a Mexican bellhop with one line.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I think what makes the second go-round a richer experience is the continuity. Back when it was on...it started in '99 and went to '07...you went nearly a year or longer between seasons. Nothing's lost in the gap now. Yeah, we saw him too as the bellhop. We're in the last half dozen episodes now and the wife and I are gonna be bummed when we're finished. This has really been all we've watched since the beginning of the year. We just finished the episode where AJ attempts suicide with the concrete block tied around his ankles and the plastic bag around his head. Tony comes home and saves him. Later in the episode Carmela and Tony are in the kitchen talking and Tony, who's prone to depression, starts bemoaning the situation and Carmela goes off on him, basically, she doesn't have time for his whiny bullshit with everything else that's going on. I found it hilarious and appropriate but also telling...they wouldn't write that kind of dialogue today.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The biggest shock to me was finding later how young Gandolfini was during the series. He started that show in his 30s. When he died and the news said he was 51 I was sure that was off.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Wife was recently watching one of her police/court room shows, not sure what it was, and Tony's nephew Christopher was a guest star. He's a frkng old man now. Very sad. Sopranos is in my top five of all time best shows.