The World's End

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
milosz

The World's End

Post by milosz »

Fucking sucked. First half dull, third quarter amusing at moments, end was stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: The World's End

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Wow. It's had positive reviews. Did you like Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz?
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

good review
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
milosz

Post by milosz »

I'm a big fan of Shaun and Hot Fuzz.

This one piled on melodrama that didn't work and forgot to be funny.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

milosz wrote:Fucking sucked. First half dull, third quarter amusing at moments, end was stupid.
Agreed. They pretty much forgot that it was supposed to be funny.

Shaun of the Dead was brilliant. Hot Fuzz, (after a second viewing last week) was pretty good but too long. World's End was bloated, preachy and just not funny. Clearly no one was willing to tell these guys the emporer has no clothes.

Bummer.

PS I took my teenage kid and a bunch of his buddies. They laughed out loud once or twice (calling someone a cunt is a guaranteed laugh for a 15 year old), but were otherwise dead quiet the whole way through.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

You guys are full of shit, this movie is awesome. Hilarious, honest & warm in some places: terrific. The best of the three: much better than Shaun or Hot Fuzz.

My wife disagrees, she says that Shaun is by far the best. I dunno: I don't really like zombies, maybe that's coloring my perception of Shaun. But this is great.

Great soundtrack, too.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

My wife wanted to go to the movies last night and this was the only thing that we could watch together. I went to Rotten Tomatoes and it had an 89% so I decided to ignore the IGx reviews and went anyway.

I thought it was charming, well shot, had a good premise, and was boring as hell. My wife and the 6 other people in the theater chuckled a few times and that was that. I won't say that Rosamund Pike made it worth watching but she made it more bearable.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party