Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Urban Docs-- Detropia and The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

Post by Turdacious »

Detropia

Superficial documentary about the decline and blight that Detroit has/is going through. Beautifully shot with incredible visuals, but could have used some substance and coherence. Why opera and hipsters played such a large role in this film is beyond me. Not recommended.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Re: Urban Docs-- Detropia and The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

Post by Turdacious »

The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

Documentary about the Pruitt-Igoe housing project in St. Louis which was torn down in the 1970's. Using primarily archival footage, interviews with former tenants, and expert opinions-- it presents a picture of the failure of urban housing projects in the context of the changing economy of the 1950's to present. It covers demographics, segregation, migration, political, and economic trends.

Best indictment of the failures of urban poverty policy I've seen.

Both documentaries are on Netflix streaming.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart »

You almost had me with: "Why opera and hipsters played such a large role in this film is beyond me." Still, I'll pass on both.
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

beefheart wrote:You almost had me with: "Why opera and hipsters played such a large role in this film is beyond me." Still, I'll pass on both.
Pruitt-Igoe is probably the best public policy documentary I've ever seen. Very even handed, almost ken burns quality. Probably pretty meh if you're not interested in the topic.