Whistlepig Rye

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Cave Canem

Whistlepig Rye

Post by Cave Canem »

I came into a some unexpected money and saw this in the local liquor store. 10 years old, 100% rye, 100 proof.
For all rye and 100 proof, it was very smooth. I'm not big into the complex and pretentious flavor descriptions but this had the rye spice without the burn. But there was also a hint of burned rubber on the finish that spoiled it a little.

If I had to do it over, I would have picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye, another of Sazerac rye and spent the change on a good bar burger next to the liquor store.
Tantum validus superstes

milosz

Re: Whistlepig Rye

Post by milosz »

Save your pennies and pick up a bottle of Hudson Manhattan Rye ($42 for a 375ml last I checked). Far and away the best whiskey I've had, rye or other.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Also give the High West Rendezvous Rye a try. Around $45 and about as smooth as a whiskey can get. It's my staple rye.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:Also give the High West Rendezvous Rye a try. Around $45 and about as smooth as a whiskey can get. It's my staple rye.
I like the High West Double Rye too. About the same price.

I like whistlepig too though.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Topic author
Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

milosz wrote:Save your pennies and pick up a bottle of Hudson Manhattan Rye ($42 for a 375ml last I checked). Far and away the best whiskey I've had, rye or other.
I've had the Hudson Baby Bourbon and wasn't impressed. One shot out of the tiny bottle now it's gathering dust. Maybe it's the New York corn. I'll try the rye sometime though.

I haven't been able to find the High West ryes around here.
Tantum validus superstes

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

Have you tried Rittenhouse, Redemption Rye, or Michter's.

I speak well of the Rittenhouse, find Redemption curious of taste and would like others impressions of it, and had michter's on the 4th of july but was too drunk to recall what i thought of it.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

Friend of mine from high school started Whistle Pig, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'd add Finger Lakes Distilling's McKenzie's Rye Whiskey. Went to a tasting last summer and picked up a bottle and one of their gin.

milosz

Post by milosz »

Finally found a local shop with Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond, gonna try it the next time I'm in a drinking mood.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I had a great bottle of Catoctin Creek Rye as a gift. Outstanding I thought. For the pricepoint, I've yet to taste a better one than the Bulleit. What competes at that end?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:I had a great bottle of Catoctin Creek Rye as a gift. Outstanding I thought. For the pricepoint, I've yet to taste a better one than the Bulleit. What competes at that end?
Sazerac Rye. But it can be hard to find. Chances are that if your liquor store carries Buffalo Trace bourbon, they'll be able to special order Sazerac. For me, it just barely edges out the Bulleit.
Tantum validus superstes