World War Z

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

World War Z

Post by johno »

Go see it. Brad Pitt vs. the Zombie Horde. Good suspense. Explosions, car crashes. Rangers who deal death. No boobies.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: World War Z

Post by Turdacious »

Best zombie flick since Idiocracy. First half was pretty predictable, got much better though. Zombies were well done. Worth watching. If you don't think of Kaz when you see the first zombie in Cardiff, you don't come around here much.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Was the Cardiff zombie suffering from nigger fatigue?

vern

Post by vern »

Turdacious wrote:Best zombie flick since Idiocracy.
Har!
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Post by cleaner464 »

Did they give the battle of Yonkers its due respect? One of the best parts of the book, IMHO.
“Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,”

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

cleaner464 wrote:Did they give the battle of Yonkers its due respect?
Not even mentioned.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I've still yet to read the book. A good friend of mine has been pissed about this film because the scuttle but says the only thing it shares with the book is the title.

I still want to see this though.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

The brilliant thing about WW Z (the book) is the way the author sets up scenarios and spins them out, Tom Clancy style. Because it pretends to be a collected oral history, Brooks bypasses all the problems with characters and dialog and just gets right to the good parts. The Opening battle of Younkers and the "Turning Point" victory (very reminiscent of the movie "Zulu") were the bookends that showcased the stories of a world population shattered into a state of creeping dread and anomie.

So of course, Hollywood leaves out everything that made the book memorable (except the title) and made it "28 Days Later: CGI Is Our Friend" instead.

I still plan to see it, but it's the kind of thing that makes you shrug.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

My buddy compared it to "Red Storm Rising" my favourite Clancy book.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

DARTH wrote:I've still yet to read the book. A good friend of mine has been pissed about this film because the scuttle but says the only thing it shares with the book is the title.

I still want to see this though.
Not a bad flick but doesn't compare to the book at all. Best to consider it a summer thriller and nothing more. Brad is dreamy though.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:The brilliant thing about WW Z (the book) is the way the author sets up scenarios and spins them out, Tom Clancy style. Because it pretends to be a collected oral history, Brooks bypasses all the problems with characters and dialog and just gets right to the good parts. The Opening battle of Younkers and the "Turning Point" victory (very reminiscent of the movie "Zulu") were the bookends that showcased the stories of a world population shattered into a state of creeping dread and anomie.

So of course, Hollywood leaves out everything that made the book memorable (except the title) and made it "28 Days Later: CGI Is Our Friend" instead.

I still plan to see it, but it's the kind of thing that makes you shrug.
I'm just glad they didn't try to turn The Zombie Survival Guide into a movie.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Saw it last night and in my opinion it sucked.
Shut the fuck up and train

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

cleaner464 wrote:Did they give the battle of Yonkers its due respect? One of the best parts of the book, IMHO.
Author's comment was they changed everything but the title. Not as a criticism, but that it wasn't based on the book except in the loosest sense.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Saw it, dug it, didn't read the book.

That was some freaky ass shit when they went over that wall.