Xero Shoes

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Cayenne

Xero Shoes

Post by Cayenne »

http://xeroshoes.com/index-nav-mwc.php

Initial impression: I like them a lot. You owe yourself a pair of these. (Only approx. $27 "guaranteed for 5,000 miles.)

Background: Lots of info around about benefits of barefoot, not just for running, but for any training where the "feet feel" is a positive aspect of the experience, or even just for the general health effect of strengthening the feet. Still, barefoot brings with it the concerns of safety, looking weird and general hygiene (or health ordinances,) when walking into public places. (Even though committed barefoot folks have their position on these "objections," I think that is very much a fringe or extreme group.)

VFF's were, I'd say, the ground breakers for the ("oxymoronish") "barefoot shoe movement." Safe, relatively hygienic, but for many, still goofy looking and for many, uncomfortable with the configuration for separate toes. Now there are a bunch of minimalist shoes on the market, IMO & IME, lots of great ones.

I picked up a pair of Xero shoes recently. Hard to imagine anything being any closer to barefoot and it pretty much addresses the various objections to true barefoot. (Apparently the company already has an upgrade planned, which I would grab in a heartbeat: http://www.sfgate.com/business/press-re ... 728358.php

Yesterday, I punched a hole in the "tire rubber" and ran the string through. I walked around the house for awhile last night. I have never been a fan of sandals (or flip flops) that have that piece between the toes, but the company web site discussed that on the FAQs and said (more or less) "...You get used to it." So, probably power of suggestion, but I did quickly get used to it. Plus, these fit so lightly and gently on the feet, it is pretty darn easy to get used to it quickly.

This morning I did a slow trot w/ HeavyHands, wearing Xeros, probably around 2.5 miles. Felt great. I really look forward to a lot more getting used to these.

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Xero Shoes

Post by T200 »

Getting some!

Topic author
Cayenne

Post by Cayenne »

T200 wrote:Getting some!

Enjoy ! FWIW, I grabbed mine at a brick and mortar store. Sizing online might be fine, but I always prefer the in-person experience for the first purchase of a new shoe style just to avoid the hassle of shipping returns, etc. Personal preferences obviously vary. Good luck!

milosz

Post by milosz »

I'm going to order some of the custom-made ones (size 14EE feet can make shoe buying miserable). I've been wearing Sanuks all summer and can't go back to sneakers or regular shoes.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Now we know what GDG! has been up to.

He used to make these Taramumara sandles. How the hell do I even remember this?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I have had my eyes on them forever and am interested in your impression when you use them a bit more and also how they wear. The guy that owns the company seems like a good guy and the price certainly is a good price and a nice contrast to Ted's Luna sandals.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

a) I've had two pair of the do-it-yourself sandals and they last forever. Absolutely awesome to run trails in in Colorado.

b) The owner is a loon. Teacher of Byron Katie and "entrepreneur" of many scams. But maybe now he's gone legit.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

At least GDG made his own shoes. This has uber-yuppie trash written all over it. I'm sure it will be hit with the progressive soccer mom crowd.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Batboy2/75 wrote:At least GDG made his own shoes. This has uber-yuppie trash written all over it. I'm sure it will be hit with the progressive soccer mom crowd.
I see them more as a hipster deal than soccer mom.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:At least GDG made his own shoes. This has uber-yuppie trash written all over it. I'm sure it will be hit with the progressive soccer mom crowd.
I see them more as a hipster deal than soccer mom.

Same worthless subhumans.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

AN ARMY OF HATERS WILL NOT HOLD ME BACK