DHS Checkpoint refusal greatest hits.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: DHS Checkpoint refusal greatest hits.

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
DrDonkeyLove wrote:
Ed Zachary wrote:
Terry B. wrote:If you treat people with respect, they generally return the favor which describes why I tend to get along with people in real life quite well but not so much so online. I got sucked into several of these videos from the above link and there is a lot of cuntish behavior on both sides.

Are there that many checkpoints nowadays in the US? I go through a drunk checkpoint every so often on the way home and wish they had more of the sorIft as they don't do anything but get drunks off the road. It seems that a bunch of people are fighting against such "illegal stops".

On the other hand, there's a fair stark contrast between border patrol in the US and in any other developed nation - go across the Canadian border to see how one side is far more professional than the other.
I've heard the Canadian border patrol are a bunch of cunts.

I did a road trip with my family last summer through the southeast part of the US hit 2 check points in 1 day. Both in Arizona. One agent looked in the window saw a truck load of rednecks and just waved us through, the second checkpoint the agent asked us to tell him our nation of origin and waved us through. No ID was requested and they didn't ask to look in the truck.
I drove from San Diego to Yuma, AZ and back a few years ago and hit several checkpoints. Most were immigration related and a couple were agricultural products related. Longest interaction with any authority figure was about 2 seconds.

I cross into Canada and back at one of the Buffalo/Niagara Falls crossings a few times per year and hit the other occasional CanAm crossing. I find the Canadians to be a little friendlier in general but haven't had a real asshole on either side in years. When I meet the rare one, I stay polite and adopt a not obsequious but fatalistic "you're the boss" attitude.

I wonder if my Passport shows a pattern that doesn't raise any red flags. I do get the occasional question from the US people about my Saudi trips but it's never hostile. Have never seen anything as slovenly, surly, and lazy as a Saudi border guard. They're almost caricatures.
Sorry, I was thinking of crossing over in the Vancouver Airport, one side of which is "Canada" and the other "the United States". You go through customs for the US, then are able to catch a domestic flight - a nicer way to access the west coast than having to venture through the mess that is LAX. The last time I went through the TSA on the US side were ridiculous. I was pulled out and questioned for over ten minutes because I answered that I "lived" in a foreign country despite having a US passport. The line of questioning, over and over again, was "let me get this straight - you are a US citizen but live in [country]?" After finally being released the Canadian guys on the other side yelled out - "better hurry or you may miss your flight...and the Americans will catch you!". Perhaps not that professional but it made me laugh nevertheless.

I have less experience in border crossings but have never had an issue on either side - I think that I needed to open my trunk one time - they did state that it was a random check and were polite about it. I believe that stop took perhaps two minutes and questions were all "good" questions.
First time I went through Vancouver, BC, the Canadian side was terrible. The second time, they were amazing. Each time I've rolled through Toronto, I've been beyond impressed with the professionalism and demeanor of the Canadian customs agents.

The US side has always been indifferent or at least friendly. The local TSA agents are usually comical in their ineptitude. No horror stories for me to personally deal with, it's just clear that they're not exactly looking for people with much more than a GED.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Crossing and actual border is one thing,random extra-constitutional checkpoints inside the US border are at best security theater and at worst, a tool of entrapment.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Crossing and actual border is one thing,random extra-constitutional checkpoints inside the US border are at best security theater and at worst, a tool of entrapment.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Crossing and actual border is one thing,random extra-constitutional checkpoints inside the US border are at best security theater and at worst, a tool of entrapment.
Back to my question a page or so back - are they really that common? I don't know that I have ever seen them other than stops for DUIs, which are 30 second conversations that I have no problem with.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:The local TSA agents are usually comical in their ineptitude. No horror stories for me to personally deal with, it's just clear that they're not exactly looking for people with much more than a GED.
The TSA would be effective in dealing with potential threats because there is no way a terrorist organization could prepare for them as they are so random. To give them the benefit of the doubt, I don't think that they do look for anything over a GED - they had an edict handed down on them to be in every airport in the airport almost overnight and needed to scrap together what they could.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Terry B. wrote:
Back to my question a page or so back - are they really that common? I don't know that I have ever seen them other than stops for DUIs, which are 30 second conversations that I have no problem with.

Yes. They are incredibly common near the border in the southwest. The first snippet on that video was of a guy who rolled through several checkpoints in the space of an hour.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill