Down with the industrial education complex!

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Down with the industrial education complex!

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Down with the industrial education complex!

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I've long cheered for a "vocational route" starting in about 9th grade.

Kids can split off and learn welding, basic mechanics, basic electrical, basic construction, pipe fitting, some drafting, etc.

They will be employable journeyman out the door in 12th grade, or within a few years of achieving mastery of whatever craft they choose to specialize in.

Kids coming out of school can't use tape measures. They are Apple product experts intently interested in liberal arts disciplines when they aren't intently interested in their Facebook status.

milosz

Post by milosz »

The vocational route is fine and should be encouraged, but McInnes, like the dim-witted cokehead he is runs off the rails a bit giving his blowjob to standardized testing as the path to it.

11-plus and similar systems have never been about divining 'IQ' - they're built to (unconsciously, even) perpetuate systems already in place. Children raised in coal mining homes and children raised by teachers and children raised by the economic elite aren't going to ever be on a level playing field at age 11. Nor will they even be on a level playing field when the PSATs and SATs roll around - not everyone's mommy and daddy can or will pay for extensive prep tutoring that can raise SAT scores hundreds of points.

The difficulty of encouraging vocations is that we cannot inherently lump the children of blue collar (or blue/white-collar) parents into their parents' occupations, nor can we offer a free pass to the more privileged children. Class mobility is already close enough to nonexistent in the US.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

milosz wrote:The vocational route is fine and should be encouraged, but McInnes, like the dim-witted cokehead he is runs off the rails a bit giving his blowjob to standardized testing as the path to it.

11-plus and similar systems have never been about divining 'IQ' - they're built to (unconsciously, even) perpetuate systems already in place. Children raised in coal mining homes and children raised by teachers and children raised by the economic elite aren't going to ever be on a level playing field at age 11. Nor will they even be on a level playing field when the PSATs and SATs roll around - not everyone's mommy and daddy can or will pay for extensive prep tutoring that can raise SAT scores hundreds of points.

The difficulty of encouraging vocations is that we cannot inherently lump the children of blue collar (or blue/white-collar) parents into their parents' occupations, nor can we offer a free pass to the more privileged children. Class mobility is already close enough to nonexistent in the US.

My dad grew up on a tobacco farm, in Greensboro NC.

He has a Master's degree in physics from Wake Forest University, and he is a software engineer.

He didn't come from privilege. He just educated himself, and did well at school with the work ethic he learned on the farm.

He's a sharp guy.

Now, concerning the vocational stuff, I support this. Another big part of my dads success is his inborn wizardry at understanding math. He's just naturally good at it. Lots of kids have lots of different mental strengths and weaknesses, and lets face it- some kids just aren't cut out for "traditional" schooling. Some of them might benefit greatly in a vocational area and get a head start on making a good life for themselves. I think that's awesome.

milosz

Post by milosz »

The multiple of anecdote isn't data.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

milosz wrote:The multiple of anecdote isn't data.
True. Just saying it can be done.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Thanks, professor.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

I support it as well. And so does Mike Rowe. Aggie, Greensboro is right up the road from me.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/04/mi ... ege-degree

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

milosz wrote: Class mobility is already close enough to nonexistent in the US.

Absolutely fucking wrong. Prove it.

Upward mobility from the middle or working class still works. The one area that has stalled in the USA is upward mobility from the bottom strata of society. We can argue all day about the causes, but I place the blame squarely on the welfare state and the victim culture in poor areas that doesn't value hard work, education or family.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I talk to my boy all the time about his options. Right now he's got a hard on for engineering we'll see how that pans out but I also encourage him to consider other blue collar options with an emphasis on DON'T FUCKING GET ANYONE PREGNANT and DON't GET MARRIED UNTIL YOU HAVE A GOID JOB. It's a lot easier to hustle working odd jobs, go to school, or apprentice if you don't have to worry about anyone but himself.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Ed Zachary wrote:I talk to my boy all the time about his options. Right now he's got a hard on for engineering we'll see how that pans out but I also encourage him to consider other blue collar options with an emphasis on DON'T FUCKING GET ANYONE PREGNANT and DON't GET MARRIED UNTIL YOU HAVE A GOID JOB. It's a lot easier to hustle working odd jobs, go to school, or apprentice if you don't have to worry about anyone but himself.

Exactly. Any teacher in the most fucked up school district will tell you parents matter. Good parents have high expectations of their children academically and will find some way to provide the best education for their children. Either via magnet schools, Public School Honors programs, charter schools, private schools, or home schooling. Their culture values education and hard work. They aren't going to let a failing school system and the other shitty parents ruin their children.

This is why a bunch of Vietnamese boat people can wash up on the CA shore pennyless and within a generation their children are doctors, lawyers, engineers, and or business owners. It also explains why generation after generation of native born poor people are caught in some sick cycle of poverty. Culture matters. Cultures that value hard work education, and family succeed. Those that don't are stuck in poverty

My son is in HS. He's in both honors (college Prep track) classes and takes vocational courses at the local JC. He's currently learning about welding and metal fabrication. The goal is to not only to learn a trade, but to support his goal of being a engineer.
Last edited by Batboy2/75 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

Batboy2/75 wrote:

start here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/busin ... hardt&_r=0

look around. lots of material re limited mobility.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... -canadians
For more than a decade, it has been documented that Northern European countries do better at moving poor people up the ladder than the United States does
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

dead man walking wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:

start here.

For more than a decade, it has been documented that Northern European countries do better at moving poor people up the ladder than the United States does
First generation immigrants have plenty of upward mobility. Maybe it's a superior work ethic, maybe it's a greater likelihood of a better family structure, maybe it's less exposure to a welfare system with a vested interest in keeping them poor. Maybe it's all three.
Last edited by Turdacious on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

dead man walking wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:

start here.

Open your eyes and read his comment. What did he state? "That Class Mobility is close enough to non-existant." That statement is still absolutely false, despite the articles you have linked to.

Nor did I state that everything is Peachy fine. if you are born into poverty in the USA, you are more than likely to die in Poverty. I blame culture. You can blame whatever.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
Ed Zachary wrote:I talk to my boy all the time about his options. Right now he's got a hard on for engineering we'll see how that pans out but I also encourage him to consider other blue collar options with an emphasis on DON'T FUCKING GET ANYONE PREGNANT and DON't GET MARRIED UNTIL YOU HAVE A GOID JOB. It's a lot easier to hustle working odd jobs, go to school, or apprentice if you don't have to worry about anyone but himself.

Exactly. Any teacher in the most fucked up school district will tell you parents matter. Good parents have high expectations of their children academically and will find some way to provide the best education for their children. Either via magnet schools, Public School Honors programs, charter schools, private schools, or home schooling. Their culture values education and hard work. They aren't going to let a failing school system and the other shitty parents ruin their children.

This is why a bunch of Vietnamese boat people can wash up on the CA shore pennyless and within a generation their children are doctors, lawyers, engineers, and or business owners. It also explains why generation after generation of native born poor people are caught in some sick cycle of poverty. Culture matters. Cultures that value hard work education, and family succeed. Those that don't are stuck in poverty

My son is in HS. He's in both honors (college Prep track) classes and takes vocational courses at the local JC. He's currently learning about welding and metal fabrication. The goal is to not only to learn a trade, but to support his goal of being a engineer.
All of this is excellent.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

My parents were both born into poverty and by the time they finished HS, their families were solidly working class. When I was born, my parents were working class and by the time I finshed high school my parents were middle class. When my first child was born, my wife and I were solidly middle class and have since moved up into the upper middle class.

Hard work, education (HS, Vocational, and well as College), and family values are the difference in this time line.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:
milosz wrote:The vocational route is fine and should be encouraged, but McInnes, like the dim-witted cokehead he is runs off the rails a bit giving his blowjob to standardized testing as the path to it.

My dad grew up on a tobacco farm, in Greensboro NC.

He has a Master's degree in physics from Wake Forest University, and he is a software engineer.

He didn't come from privilege. He just educated himself, and did well at school with the work ethic he learned on the farm.

He's a sharp guy.

Now, concerning the vocational stuff, I support this. Another big part of my dads success is his inborn wizardry at understanding math. He's just naturally good at it. Lots of kids have lots of different mental strengths and weaknesses, and lets face it- some kids just aren't cut out for "traditional" schooling. Some of them might benefit greatly in a vocational area and get a head start on making a good life for themselves. I think that's awesome.
It's fantastic to hear of self-educated people with graduate degrees.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Batboy2/75 wrote:Fucking right on target.

http://takimag.com/article/a_nation_of_ ... z2coaFWFt8
Amen
Don’t believe everything you think.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

More powerful than data by far.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party