Nobody has started a thread about the NSA/domestic spying?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Nobody has started a thread about the NSA/domestic spyin

Post by baffled »

The National Security Agency has acknowledged in a new classified briefing that it does not need court authorization to listen to domestic phone calls.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, a New York Democrat, disclosed this week that during a secret briefing to members of Congress, he was told that the contents of a phone call could be accessed "simply based on an analyst deciding that."

If the NSA wants "to listen to the phone," an analyst's decision is sufficient, without any other legal authorization required, Nadler said he learned. "I was rather startled," said Nadler, an attorney and congressman who serves on the House Judiciary committee.

Not only does this disclosure shed more light on how the NSA's formidable eavesdropping apparatus works domestically, it also suggests the Justice Department has secretly interpreted federal surveillance law to permit thousands of low-ranking analysts to eavesdrop on phone calls.
Just because California can't be left out:
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the head of the Senate Intelligence committee, separately acknowledged this week that the agency's analysts have the ability to access the "content of a call."
CLICK THE LINK: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57589 ... -warrants/

EDIT: There's some confusion on whether Nadler's comments may be misinterpreted, but it doesn't really make any of this less disgusting or evil.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:Just because California can't be left out:
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the head of the Senate Intelligence committee, separately acknowledged this week that the agency's analysts have the ability to access the "content of a call."
She has consistently been one of the most vile, disgusting creatures I have ever seen throughout this entire event. Has she always been this bad and, if so, what the hell are you people doing reelecting her year after year after year?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I just saw Cheney on Fox News Sunday. On this issue, I've been mistaken calling "O" BushBama, I should call him CheneyBama.

Who knew back in 2008 that all the Cheney haters would end up electing his surveilling spiritual son?
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

It is weird that Cheney and Obama agree 100%.

That should scare everyone.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:Just because California can't be left out:
She has consistently been one of the most vile, disgusting creatures I have ever seen throughout this entire event. Has she always been this bad and, if so, what the hell are you people doing reelecting her year after year after year?
We have a lot of self-hate here in California.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

snowden is a chinee spy. president cheney says so. you guys are giving succor to the enemy.

there's a reason it's called the patriot act.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

protobuilder wrote:It is weird that Cheney and Obama agree 100%.

That should scare everyone.
In 2006, I said that Cheney was making Hillary the most powerful President in history. I think that people believed that Obama would handle the power a bit better than he has.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

cleaner464 wrote:This guy used a thumb drive to get at this data? Outside of Staples, who the fuck lets anyone use thumb drives on their machines anymore?

We disabled the capacity to use external devices YEARS AGO. Plus we can't send out encrypted e-mail unless we CC internal security with an unencrypted version.

Pretty simple fixes. What kind of dummies are running IT for the NSA?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This is the NSA, not Apple, bro.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Sending comms unencrypted over the internets is like sending postcards using big block lettering, or having a loud conversation in a doctor's waiting room. You are depending on people averting their eyes and pretending not to listen. Caveat emptor.

Additionally, the fact of a conversation does not get the same legal protection as the content of a conversation.

I imagine more than once the wizards at Google have seen odd patterns of term searches and wondered if there might not be a compelling reason to share the metadata. Gosh, their's an odd interest in nerve agents coming from Detroit-istan these days.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

All you nothing to hide, nothing to fear dudes need to consider how wasted and flaccid the life is of a man with nothing to hide.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:All you nothing to hide, nothing to fear dudes need to consider how wasted and flaccid the life is of a man with nothing to hide.
Somebody who has something to hide but uses the unencrypted internets to share it is a moron.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

It's probably best not to use any email if you want to hide things from the NSA. Rumor has it that they're pretty good at breaking encryption.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

nafod wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:All you nothing to hide, nothing to fear dudes need to consider how wasted and flaccid the life is of a man with nothing to hide.
Somebody who has something to hide but uses the unencrypted internets to share it is a moron.
And.......? You are assuming the avalanche of shit is stopping here?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

msg.png
msg.png (32.93 KiB) Viewed 2986 times

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

ixnay on the pyingsay

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Snowden responds to the public with a Q and A:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... stleblower
“With malice towards none, with charity for all.” — Abraham Lincoln

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

The story is starting to get coverage from legit questioners:
http://www.davidicke.com/headlines/8583 ... tober-2013
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

EDIT: baffled had already posted what I was going to share
“With malice towards none, with charity for all.” — Abraham Lincoln

Topic author
TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

If Obama wanted to raise the U.S.'s standing in the international community, secretly spying on each and every nation and person on the globe seems a weird way to do it.

I'm not one of those people who thinks we should worry what people around the globe think of us, but this pretty much plays into every paranoid fear people across the globe have of America. We are supposed to be the leaders of the free world. Instead, we're invading countries, supplying arms to various factions, and creating a global surveillance system. Sweet!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I'm fine with spying on each and every nation other than the U.S. It's turning our capabilities inward that I have a problem with.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Pinky wrote:I'm fine with spying on each and every nation other than the U.S. It's turning our capabilities inward that I have a problem with.
Problem is, the bits don't care whether they go from one house directly to the other next door, or circle the globe 5 times before getting there. Costs the same and only adds milliseconds. So if you're a terrorist and you don't want us listening to you, oddly enough the best way to hide is to make sure your data gets moved around on servers in the US of A. We (used to?) have rules and restrictions against domestic monitoring. Hard to separate that stuff out and not accidentally track crusty's pron habits if you do look.

Terrorists truly are parasites.

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Even if laws are in place to protect us internally, and even if those laws are obeyed, they're still easily transgressed via quid pro agreements, ie, we monitor, say, the Brits and the Brits monitor us, and we exchange the info. We can say our agencies don't monitor internally, but so what, we just get it from our friends.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Thud wrote:Even if laws are in place to protect us internally, and even if those laws are obeyed, they're still easily transgressed via quid pro agreements, ie, we monitor, say, the Brits and the Brits monitor us, and we exchange the info. We can say our agencies don't monitor internally, but so what, we just get it from our friends.

This and in a nutshell that is how Echelon works, it's been going on for years.

My gramps, the one who was in the Intel community told me when i was a little boy to never say anything over the phone I wanted to remain truly private back in the late 80's. Said strait out "The NSA records everything."

I've got no problem spying on outsiders and if you have a good reason to believe they are traitors,but supposedly the spying on us has gone into overdrive with Obama. Just look at how many more info request Yahoo got from the Gov in the last few years.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy