Real King Shit

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

User avatar

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40936
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 悪を根付かせるな

Real King Shit

Post by Fat Cat »

NFL star Alvin Kamara has a $75 million contract, but hasn’t spent a dime of his football earnings

“I’m like, ‘Okay, this is more than I’ve ever had. My mom ain’t never had this much,’” Kamara tells Uninterrupted. “It would be a shame if I got this and lost it. I’m gonna keep doing the same thing I’ve been doing — [spending on] what I need and that’s it. I’m not about to go over the top, I’m not gonna live beyond my means.”

Kamara also says that he is in control of all of his money. Nothing gets moved around without his approval.

“I keep it close like that because of the loaf of bread and peanut butter. I had to do it [before] and I’ll do it again if I have to,” he says. “But there’s no reason I should have to do that again.”


https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/07/nfl-sta ... nings.html


Since we often focus on the worst in the black community, this article struck me as an example of something better. If only more people, of whatever stripe, thought like this.
Image
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

User avatar

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5884
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

Re: Real King Shit

Post by syaigh »

Not picking a fight, but I think that only people who don't have black friends (friends, not acquaintances) or aren't involved with the black community tend to think the worst of them. I grew up in town that had a large black population. At least a third of my classmates were black, several of my teachers were black, I lived with black girls in college, I worked in an extremely diverse environment when I was still in research, and coached with some amazing community leaders in the track and field team I helped coach and have coached some awesome black athletes. If you knew a lot of these people, you would be in awe and you wouldn't think of them as different. Which is why it is really hard for me to see black people treated as "other" and left out of conversations about safety, equality, and just common decency.

The people I know who treat black people as "other" or think the worst of them never actually truly know more than a few black people, if any.

So, my question is, where do you think you fall on that continuum? Do you know any successful black people? Have any close black friends? Been involved in the coaching/raising/mentoring of black youth?

Again, not starting a fight, just wondering where that tendency to think the worst comes from?

Edited to add: I understand thinking badly about certain classes of people. If I described my cousins to you, you would definitely think "trash". Because they are. But they are white trash. Ignorant, irresponsible, etc. But those people exist in all races, and there is far more white trash in this country than you think.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8873
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Real King Shit

Post by baffled »

I can't speak for Fat Cat, but I spent 7 years in a shit hole district that was 60%+ black, and worked with the worst of the worst kids on a regular basis. Gang members, special needs (not bad, but difficult), general malcontents, and I can tell you with zero doubt that black culture is broken. We had kids that were in from all over the area, from surrounding cities that had high rates of crime.

I say that with confidence because of two things:
1) Over 90% of our fights and other suspension worthy offenses were committed by black kids. Many of them would be open about not knowing their dads, meeting siblings they had no clue about for their birthday (and not being happy about it), and how often they were committing crimes and being put in juvenile hall. We had a family feud that spilled over into a Food Maxx where someone's aunt was jumped, which spilled back onto campus and resulted in nearly 10 fights in a single day. Not a white, Asian or Latino kid was involved.

That's not to say that the other races of kids didn't do stupid and bad stuff, but not at nearly the rate the black kids did.

I was well respected and generally had good outcomes, but a single group accounted for a sizable use of manpower and resources.

2) Our black VP once told me that if the black families could get their shit together, then our district would go from a Title 1 district to a normal district overnight. He lamented how often he dealt with the same problems I listed above on a regular basis.

That said, I really enjoyed the work, I liked the kids most days, and am glad I did it, but I got burnt out and needed a change.

Now, why the black community went from lower rates of unemployment prior to the passage of minimum wage laws (perhaps the most anti-black laws on the books that are still enforced), low rates of divorce and fatherlessness after the passage of the welfare state etc... That's a different topic.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

newguy
Sgt. Major
Posts: 2843
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:32 am

Re: Real King Shit

Post by newguy »

baffled wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:37 am I can't speak for Fat Cat, but I spent 7 years in a shit hole district that was 60%+ black, and worked with the worst of the worst kids on a regular basis. Gang members, special needs (not bad, but difficult), general malcontents, and I can tell you with zero doubt that black culture is broken. We had kids that were in from all over the area, from surrounding cities that had high rates of crime.

I say that with confidence because of two things:
1) Over 90% of our fights and other suspension worthy offenses were committed by black kids. Many of them would be open about not knowing their dads, meeting siblings they had no clue about for their birthday (and not being happy about it), and how often they were committing crimes and being put in juvenile hall. We had a family feud that spilled over into a Food Maxx where someone's aunt was jumped, which spilled back onto campus and resulted in nearly 10 fights in a single day. Not a white, Asian or Latino kid was involved.

That's not to say that the other races of kids didn't do stupid and bad stuff, but not at nearly the rate the black kids did.

I was well respected and generally had good outcomes, but a single group accounted for a sizable use of manpower and resources.

2) Our black VP once told me that if the black families could get their shit together, then our district would go from a Title 1 district to a normal district overnight. He lamented how often he dealt with the same problems I listed above on a regular basis.

That said, I really enjoyed the work, I liked the kids most days, and am glad I did it, but I got burnt out and needed a change.

Now, why the black community went from lower rates of unemployment prior to the passage of minimum wage laws (perhaps the most anti-black laws on the books that are still enforced), low rates of divorce and fatherlessness after the passage of the welfare state etc... That's a different topic.
Might have less to do with being "black" vs. being from a shithole area. Whatever country you live in, whatever area you are, the "shithole" areas are the rough areas. It just is what it is. Throw in a nice dose of institutionalized racism and our economic system and you triple down on the problems that come from living in the shitholes.

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8873
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Real King Shit

Post by baffled »

Maybe, but what explains the other 40% of kids who caused ~10% of the problems?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

johno
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7901
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Re: Real King Shit

Post by johno »

Interesting, the turn this thread has taken.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

User avatar

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21249
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Real King Shit

Post by Turdacious »

newguy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:21 am
baffled wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:37 am I can't speak for Fat Cat, but I spent 7 years in a shit hole district that was 60%+ black, and worked with the worst of the worst kids on a regular basis. Gang members, special needs (not bad, but difficult), general malcontents, and I can tell you with zero doubt that black culture is broken. We had kids that were in from all over the area, from surrounding cities that had high rates of crime.

I say that with confidence because of two things:
1) Over 90% of our fights and other suspension worthy offenses were committed by black kids. Many of them would be open about not knowing their dads, meeting siblings they had no clue about for their birthday (and not being happy about it), and how often they were committing crimes and being put in juvenile hall. We had a family feud that spilled over into a Food Maxx where someone's aunt was jumped, which spilled back onto campus and resulted in nearly 10 fights in a single day. Not a white, Asian or Latino kid was involved.

That's not to say that the other races of kids didn't do stupid and bad stuff, but not at nearly the rate the black kids did.

I was well respected and generally had good outcomes, but a single group accounted for a sizable use of manpower and resources.

2) Our black VP once told me that if the black families could get their shit together, then our district would go from a Title 1 district to a normal district overnight. He lamented how often he dealt with the same problems I listed above on a regular basis.

That said, I really enjoyed the work, I liked the kids most days, and am glad I did it, but I got burnt out and needed a change.

Now, why the black community went from lower rates of unemployment prior to the passage of minimum wage laws (perhaps the most anti-black laws on the books that are still enforced), low rates of divorce and fatherlessness after the passage of the welfare state etc... That's a different topic.
Might have less to do with being "black" vs. being from a shithole area. Whatever country you live in, whatever area you are, the "shithole" areas are the rough areas. It just is what it is. Throw in a nice dose of institutionalized racism and our economic system and you triple down on the problems that come from living in the shitholes.
If that’s true it should be pretty easy to demonstrate. Look at ethnic enclaves and factor in poverty rate/average income— the crime stats will either be similar or they won’t. Should work for immigrant groups (factoring for tribe and/or national origin).
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8873
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Real King Shit

Post by baffled »

johno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm Interesting, the turn this thread has taken.
The woman did it
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 40936
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 悪を根付かせるな

Re: Real King Shit

Post by Fat Cat »

syaigh wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:46 pm Again, not starting a fight, just wondering where that tendency to think the worst comes from?
Mostly, I think you're getting a distorted view of things because we tend to talk about controversies on here. It was in acknowledgement of that that I chose to post a positive story coming out of the Black community, and one that turns the stereotype on it's head, at that. I could say a lot more, I haven't lived in a hole my entire life, but I think it's better to leave it at that.
Image
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy.
It is our job to see that it stays there." - George Orwell

User avatar

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 5884
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 am
Location: Surrounded by short irrational people

Re: Real King Shit

Post by syaigh »

baffled wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm
johno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm Interesting, the turn this thread has taken.
The woman did it
That's what we do. Fuck shit up.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

User avatar

baffled
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 8873
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Real King Shit

Post by baffled »

syaigh wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:36 pm
baffled wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm
johno wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm Interesting, the turn this thread has taken.
The woman did it
That's what we do. Fuck shit up.
My girlfriend and I just talked about this. She's a force of nature, and I love her to death for it.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

User avatar

Bram
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 6588
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:38 am

Re: Real King Shit

Post by Bram »

Nice story, thanks for the share :)

He's got a good head on his shoulders. I can't imagine having $75 million and spending basically none of it after four years. It says he lives in downtown New Orleans and walks home after games. Admirable. =D>
“The world is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.”

Post Reply