Surprisingly Important Books

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Surprisingly Important Books

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I've read a few "important" books but, the most surprisingly important book to me has been Dickens', "A Christmas Carol".

There's way more to this little book than a ghost story. Just about everything that's truly important is in there.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Thud
Sgt. Major

Re: Surprisingly Important Books

Post by Thud »

What does it say about white people shooting up schools?

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

DrDonkeyLove wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 am I've read a few "important" books but, the most surprisingly important book to me has been Dickens', "A Christmas Carol".

There's way more to this little book than a ghost story. Just about everything that's truly important is in there.
Dickens is my favorite author. Pickwick Papers is the funniest book I've ever read. For profundity, read David Copperfield and ponder the first question of the novel throughout: "WHETHER I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show." That is life's question, every day.

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Thud wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 am What does it say about white people shooting up schools?
Thud:

There are no guns or psychotropic drugs to inspire homicidal ideation in the book. There is much about a personal responsibility for kindness.

Lots of death in A Tale Of Two Cities though.

HH:
I've been remiss and haven't read enough Dickens. Just bought his complete works for a whopping $0.99 on Amazon.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Well, I'm working on my Spanish so I read Muerte in Buenas Aires, a beginning Spanish reader's book whose greatest asset, for me, is that it is written almost entirely in the present tense. The detective is a goofy fuck who captures the killer by dressing in drag to lure the bad guy into trying to strangle him. The killer is captured and handcuffed.

The surprisingly important part that the Spanish word for handcuffs is "esposas."

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

I think different books connect to different people. And, for me at least, at different times. In my teens The Little Prince by Saint-Exuperie was the center of the literary universe. Some time later it was replaced by Faulkner's The Mansion (mind you, translated to Russian at the time). Now I cannot even say which book I find most important.

But Dickens is Dickens. Some time ago I was listening to an interview with Martin Amis. He sounded overly posh on the radio, to the point of a caricature. However, he got my attention when they asked him about what would he advise to someone looking for good books to read. He said: "Stick to the classics. These books withstood the test of time, which is the only test there is for these kind of things". The very fact that Charles Dickens - who died almost one hundred and fifty years ago - is still a name recognized by most in the West and many in other parts of the world tells you there must be something truly important in his writings.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Thud wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:45 am What does it say about white people shooting up schools?
That the 1990 Safe Schools act has made our schools into target rich environments full of ready made victims. That by implication making the entire nation into a 'gun free zone" will work as well as making our nation liquor or drug free. Intelligent people learn from their mistakes instead of expanding the foolishness.

Dickens worked to raise consciousness. He wasn't into hyper Statist shit like you.
Don't like yourself too much.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Gene wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 pmThat the 1990 Safe Schools act has made our schools into target rich environments full of ready made victims.
Wait, what?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Thud
Sgt. Major

Post by Thud »

Gene wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 pm
That the 1990 Safe Schools act has made our schools into target rich environments full of ready made victims. That by implication making the entire nation into a 'gun free zone" will work as well as making our nation liquor or drug free. Intelligent people learn from their mistakes instead of expanding the foolishness.

Dickens worked to raise consciousness. He wasn't into hyper Statist shit like you.

As usual for Gene, eew.

Yes, Gene, I'm glad there are state agencies, be they local police, FBI, Child Welfare, etc, to protect kids from Dahmer-like flesh eating cannibals, such as yourself. The answer to more sickos like you is not more, better-armed sickos like you. Just as freaktards like you don't get to sport bazookas and weaponized infectious diseases, neither should just anybody have assault weapons. Sometimes the rights of the many trump those of the individual. That's why there's laws - to protect society. That's why there are parents, to protect their kids.

Some parents need to be protected from the NRA, who manipulate the minds of many as easily as if they were selling instant Mac n Cheese, or Oreo's, whatever else nimrods make their kids fats and stoopid with.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/02 ... -shooting/

Do you think public schools should sponsor 7 year old's to sell automatic weapon raffle tickets for the school?

Common sense left the building decades ago. Don't try to feign any sense of intelligence or wisdom, stick to grunts and burps.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma »

The call is not for gun free nation, but for better control over weapon ownership. It is forbidden to sell liquor to underage kids, and nobody is screaming about the violation of children's rights.

I think following the logic of drugs policies in some countries would work for guns. Legalise light drugs - the use of heavy narcotics becomes less of a problem. I wholeheartedly agree with Thud, not every citizen - by far - should have the right to own an automatic assault weapon. The more powerful the gun, the more solid reason someone should demonstrate for owning it.

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

My favorite since young adulthood has always remained The Three Musketeers.

A close second was The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."