The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Imagine how strong those guys in the Olympics would be if they only listened to Couch.

Similarly, basketball players would all be able to jump higher and handle the ball better if they would just take advice from me.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

The unsubstantiated arrogance makes me pukey:

"We offer ample, even perfect, opportunity here three days out of four for anyone to demonstrate their athlete’s superior work capacity. Hello?" - Couch
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Post by cleaner464 »

Still waiting on the pics of that 750 DL'er.
“Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,”

Topic author
bill fox

Post by bill fox »

elrodjr wrote:The unsubstantiated arrogance makes me pukey:

"We offer ample, even perfect, opportunity here three days out of four for anyone to demonstrate their athlete’s superior work capacity. Hello?" - Couch
Don't laugh. When that National Work Capcity League gets started all Couch's guys are gonna go first round and sign FAT contracts.
"my body stayin' vicious, I be up in the gym, just workin' on my fitness"

Fergie

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

I watched one of his videos and he suggested that an athlete should discontinue training a skill (i.e shooting a basketball, hitting a baseball) when fatigue causes a drop consistency. Well this may very well be, but that is one of the most important training periods when you can accomplish your goals under stress be it physical or mental. So I am not buying his arguement.
Still haven't cracked the desktop yet, but I'm trying. Yeah, there's nothing like practicing shitty, fatigued form over and over to make you better at a skil.

GDG!
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Trip

Post by Trip »

Is this what happens.......................???????

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/33859.html

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

cleaner464 wrote:Still waiting on the pics of that 750 DL'er.
You'll be waiting a long time for that one, maybe you could crack out your copy of War and Peace and read that a few times while waiting. I'm sure it will show up sooner or later.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

GoDogGo! wrote:Still haven't cracked the desktop yet, but I'm trying. Yeah, there's nothing like practicing shitty, fatigued form over and over to make you better at a skil.

GDG!
Too much agreementing...

There's practicing a skill, and there's practicing to do a skill under fatigue and stress. The military is full of instances where you have to execute a precision skill under stress, and you train to it by...drum roll please...practicing executing precision skills under stress. It is as much as mental toughness/skill as anything.

Hey, I'm with Boyle. Heavy back squats are stupid and anyone who does them is a moron.

P.S. somebody here dug up the data on the 750 LB DL and posted it. It was real.
Don’t believe everything you think.

szczepan
Gunny

Post by szczepan »

nafod wrote:
P.S. somebody here dug up the data on the 750 LB DL and posted it. It was real.
Wrong. Shaf told us that an anonymous source told him that an unnamed lifter pulled 700#. This is hardly an irrefutable confirmation. BTW, couch claimed that he could take an athlete from 200 to 750 in 2 years NOT that he was working with someone who could already pull 700. apples and oranges.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: Hey, I'm with Boyle. Heavy back squats are stupid and anyone who does them is a moron.
WTF?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

"Show me a program where form is controlled to the point of never failing and I'll show you an athlete who a) will fall apart at output levels where CrossFitters are untaxed and moving with grace, and b) cannot match the work capacity of CrossFitters."

This just in. @fitters are super good at doing @fit.

BSC disease.

Bat....Shit....Crazy
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Macacawitz wrote:Shaf told us that an anonymous source told him that an unnamed lifter pulled 700#. This is hardly an irrefutable confirmation.
Offer Shaf a blow job and maybe he'll give you the name of the source.

In the mean time, I'm thinking the 750# number is an urban IGx legend in the first place.
Last edited by nafod on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

szczepan
Gunny

Post by szczepan »

urban legend? who said this?

But here's the fascinating part. We can take you from a 200 pound max deadlift to a 500-750 pound max deadlift in two years while only pulling max singles four or five times a year. We will though work the deadlift, like most lifts, approximately once per week at higher reps and under grueling conditions. It may intuit well that if you can pull a 250 pound deadlift 21 times coming to the lift at a heart rate of 180 beats per minute, then 500 pounds for a single at a resting heart rate is perhaps manageable.

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/archive ... assman.htm

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Macacawitz wrote:urban legend? who said this?

But here's the fascinating part. We can take you from a 200 pound max deadlift to a 500-750 pound max deadlift in two years while only pulling max singles four or five times a year. We will though work the deadlift, like most lifts, approximately once per week at higher reps and under grueling conditions. It may intuit well that if you can pull a 250 pound deadlift 21 times coming to the lift at a heart rate of 180 beats per minute, then 500 pounds for a single at a resting heart rate is perhaps manageable.
Oh, it's a RANGE of weights. Thanks for clearing that up.

I like coach because he uses words like "intuit" and "potent". Admit it, you do too.

szczepan
Gunny

Post by szczepan »

nafod wrote:
Macacawitz wrote:urban legend? who said this?

Oh, it's a RANGE of weights. Thanks for clearing that up.

I like coach because he uses words like "intuit" and "potent". Admit it, you do too.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE "RANGE" IS BOGUS UNLESS SOMEONE HAS ACTUALLY MADE THE LIFT THAT COUCH IS CLAIMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dalexan242
Gunny

Post by dalexan242 »

It may intuit well that if you can pull a 250 pound deadlift 21 times coming to the lift at a heart rate of 180 beats per minute, then 500 pounds for a single at a resting heart rate is perhaps manageable.
It sounds like his claim is pretty much based on the notion that if you can deadlift a low weight a lot of times, you'll therefore be able to deadlift a super-high weight for a single. So if I can deadlift 135 lb. for 200 reps, it will allow me to deadlift 1200 lb. for a single But they don't need to prove the exact ratio, because "crossfitters are too busy LIVING to take the time to prove lifting theory."

Crossfit has some good ideas, but the near-religious fervor of its followers is at least as annoying as all the DDers calling each other Comrade, and that set the bar pretty low.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

nafod wrote: There's practicing a skill, and there's practicing to do a skill under fatigue and stress. The military is full of instances where you have to execute a precision skill under stress, and you train to it by...drum roll please...practicing executing precision skills under stress. It is as much as mental toughness/skill as anything.
Poo. Apples and pomegranates again. I did plenty of shooting, stoppage drills, reloading, etc after having been made to do jumping jacks and run laps, all under time pressure.

It's a very good idea, once the basic skill is there, to ensure that you can pull it off while your heart rate is off the charts and people are shooting at you.

Couch & Co. are talking about something else entirely: doing hi-reps of a complex skill to the point of fatigue and crappy form, for the purpose of conditioning.

If they want to use "Diane" to get themselves all worn out and stressed and then practice some important skill, more power to them, but that's now what they're talking about.

GDG!
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Macacawitz wrote:
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE "RANGE" IS BOGUS UNLESS SOMEONE HAS ACTUALLY MADE THE LIFT THAT COUCH IS CLAIMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If coach said "500-1,000,000,000 LBs" as long as he got someone to lift 500 LBs his statement would be true. That's just plain logic. You've let coach-hate blind you.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I noticed that Mark Twight was also at the conference. Since there are very little differences between crossfit and the gymjones approach, I would genuinely like to have heard Twight's response.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote: If coach said "500-1,000,000,000 LBs" as long as he got someone to lift 500 LBs his statement would be true. That's just plain logic. You've let coach-hate blind you.
Are you fucking stupid? No. To say a range of numbers implies that all of them are possible, not only some median. Stop huffing the dumb. You are defending the indefensible.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote: Are you fucking stupid? No. To say a range of numbers implies that all of them are possible, not only some median.
Oh, so if he said "lift over 500 LBs" that means all values from 500 to infinity are possible? Stop your stupid.

Post by ___________ »

nafod wrote:
Fat Cat wrote: Are you fucking stupid? No. To say a range of numbers implies that all of them are possible, not only some median.
Oh, so if he said "lift over 500 LBs" that means all values from 500 to infinity are possible? Stop your stupid.
Damn it dilrod,

Couch was saying 750.
ENGLISH, MUTHAFUCKA, DO YOU SPEAK IT??????????

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote:
No, because a range is different from an infinitude, dimwit. You are too stupid to bother trying to correct. BTW, remember when you tried to intimate that you were some hardcore special ops dude? Those were the days.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

NAFOD= No Apparant Fear of Death

E-2 Pilot or crewmember. going unarmed into fighter rich enviroments, not Spec Ops, but ballsy none the less.
My Stepdad was a Ray tech on the EC-121, the USAF version, durring the S.E.Asia conflict, got a purplr heart and air medal flying the unfreindly sky's of N. Veitnam, Laos and Cambodia.

All said though, NAFOD, Couch is an assmaster and probably an uncle fucker.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote:
Fool. You again fail to understand the difference between finite and infinite. Kill yourself.