the insanity continues

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

the insanity continues

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

In the last few weeks I've noticed some people who I though were sane and rational using the word they to refer to one person. Adam Savage, Matt Parker, a few more I can't think of right now. When did this become something normal people do? I realize that there has been a steady corruption of language and thought, with normal people using terms than only aggressively signalling leftists once used, but I'm surprised and dismayed that people who supposedly like rationality embrace this stuff too, and quickly at that. No one did this a few years ago and now it's everywhere. There's no limit to what people will embrace. I shouldn't be surprised since no one objected to mass incarceration, surveillance, the whole world being put on house arrest, etc., but no one is forcing anyone to say these things. Oh wait, there's a teacher in Ireland who's behind bars right now for not saying they. Is everyone buying wokeness insurance? or has everyone lost his mind?

Ronald RayGun

the insanity continues

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Naw, man. You're on point. Most folks aren't about that shit. It's a signal/noise ratio deal.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

the insanity continues

And now Chael Sonnen's doing the they thing. Maybe he's just chasing the woke dollars since he'll shill anything for a buck, including being the UFC's #1 apologist. For the ignorant among you, here's the wikipedia entry on apologetics --

Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense") is the religious discipline of defending religious doctrines through systematic argumentation and discourse.[1][2][3] Early Christian writers (c. 120–220) who defended their beliefs against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called Christian apologists.[4] In 21st-century usage, apologetics is often identified with debates over religion and theology.

The thing that terrifies me about all this is how much sinks in despite being aware of some of it..

Ronald RayGun

the insanity continues

Post by Ronald RayGun »

It's just the flavor of the month. I highly doubt MOST people buy into any of this shit. It's just silly and can't be sustained. Weird as hell, tho.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

the insanity continues

Post by Bram »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:08 am Oh wait, there's a teacher in Ireland who's behind bars right now for not saying they.
https://www.reuters.com/article/factche ... SL1N30D1J7
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

the insanity continues

Don't be obtuse. It all started with they.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

the insanity continues

Post by nafod »

Bram wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:38 pm
motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:08 am Oh wait, there's a teacher in Ireland who's behind bars right now for not saying they.
https://www.reuters.com/article/factche ... SL1N30D1J7
The old “fuck around with the judge’s court order and find out” plan of action.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

the insanity continues

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:58 amAnd now Chael Sonnen's doing the they thing.
It's possible that if you're being a bigger asshole than Chael Sonnen that you're on the wrong side of history.

There seems to be a certain type of person who thinks if somebody wants to be called Meatloaf, of Cher, or Sting, that that is A-OK. But if somebody prefers the "they" pronoun, it's not enough to not only refuse to comply, but to get angry at anyone who does comply. I find calling an individual person "they" a little odd. But I can't bring myself to care even a little.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Ronald RayGun

the insanity continues

Post by Ronald RayGun »

It's cute that people are tippy-toeing around these mentally ill fuck-faces. I also get that people are desperately looking for an identity, but that's shit you should have figured out by age 21-25 and shouldn't be foisted upon others. All roads lead to narcissism with these emotional retards.

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

the insanity continues

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:20 pm
motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:58 amAnd now Chael Sonnen's doing the they thing.
It's possible that if you're being a bigger asshole than Chael Sonnen that you're on the wrong side of history.

There seems to be a certain type of person who thinks if somebody wants to be called Meatloaf, of Cher, or Sting, that that is A-OK. But if somebody prefers the "they" pronoun, it's not enough to not only refuse to comply, but to get angry at anyone who does comply. I find calling an individual person "they" a little odd. But I can't bring myself to care even a little.
You're either insane or a troll, I've never been sure which.

1) The wrong side of history bit is so dumb that it's impossible to explain anything to someone that confused.

2) Who the hell gets to demand that people comply with an aggressive, nonsensical agenda?

Just so you can flex your game, Spells, 'splain to me how teenage girls being encouraged to mutilate themselves and destroy their lives is the right side of history. Because we're there. Since there seems to be no insanity you won't defend as long as it comes from the left.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

the insanity continues

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:05 am 1) The wrong side of history bit is so dumb that it's impossible to explain anything to someone that confused.
There may be contexts I'm unaware of, but I think it's usually in the context of those who adamantly support positions that are going by the wayside. Slavery, Jim Crow, Communism, etc.
2) Who the hell gets to demand that people comply with an aggressive, nonsensical agenda?
It kind of seems like you. Nobody's making you use the they singular pronoun. You don't want others to do it either though.
Just so you can flex your game, Spells, 'splain to me how teenage girls being encouraged to mutilate themselves and destroy their lives is the right side of history. Because we're there. Since there seems to be no insanity you won't defend as long as it comes from the left.
Nope. Putting hormone blockers on young kids is not reversible as the pro-early transition advocates claim.

My very limited experience with these people is they tend to struggle a lot, and I'm willing to use some words they prefer, and expect that nobody flies off the handle when I forget. I don't understand what's going on with them, but I change preferred words for different groups with some regularity:

"It's not gypsies any more, it's Roma." OK.
"Indigenous people of the Americas shouldn't be called 'Indians'." Never occurred to 1985 Me, but yeah.
"Don't say negro any more." Fine
"Germans and Irish are also white people now." Man, I don't know. "Not Italians though." Well all right then.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Ronald RayGun

the insanity continues

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Comparing Indigenous Americans or ANY other minority to this gender horse-shit is just foolish. Black people don't get to just one day DECIDE they're white and get away with it. These weak acts claim different shit on the daily. If you're white, you get away with it. Funny how that works. This 5 minute old, they-them nonsense is precisely that. Nonsense. It's 100% white people shit.