The Rock ’n’ Roll Casualty Who Became a War Hero

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

The Rock ’n’ Roll Casualty Who Became a War Hero

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/magaz ... d=all&_r=0
He had three drill sergeants, two of whom were sadists. Thank God it was the easygoing one who saw it. He was reading a magazine, when he slowly looked up and stared at Everman. Then the sergeant walked over, pointing to a page in the magazine. “Is this you?” It was a photo of the biggest band in the world, Nirvana. Kurt Cobain had just killed himself, and this was a story about his suicide. Next to Cobain was the band’s onetime second guitarist. A guy with long, strawberry blond curls. “Is this you?”

Everman exhaled. “Yes, Drill Sergeant.”
After having such a public rock face, he went for something that wasn’t just anonymous; it was classified. Mimi once met a couple of Special Forces guys who idolized Jason. “They didn’t approach like the usual fanboys who asked, ‘Your brother was in Nirvana?’ ” she said. “No, they came to me like: ‘Jason Everman is your brother?’ ” One turned to the other and said, “Dude, do you know what that guy’s done?”

In the war, Everman seemed to have found his place. The cloud didn’t go anywhere; it just didn’t matter anymore. As one of his Special Forces colleagues (who is still on active duty and requested that his name not be published) told me: “He would get moody sometimes, but it didn’t interfere with the task at hand. I would rather work with somebody who is quiet than ran their suck constantly.” In Everman’s cabin, I saw medal after medal, including the coveted Combat Infantryman Badge. “Sounds kind of Boy Scouty,” he said. “But it’s actually something cool.” I saw photos of Everman in fatigues on a warship (“an antipiracy operation in Asia”). A shot of Everman with Donald Rumsfeld. Another with Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal. And that’s when it hit me. Jason Everman had finally become a rock star.
A worthy read.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Rock ’n’ Roll Casualty Who Became a War Hero

Post by DARTH »

I was really into the scenes and who was who back then as I was one of thousands going for it.

I remember him being kind of like the joke people would say "He's a local Jason Everman" for dudes that have been bounced around bands.

It's weird because I remember wondering for like a minute what ever happened to him, as I had heard back then that he joined the Navy.

Fucking badass!

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

In the end 100 times the man that Cobain was.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

DARTH wrote:In the end 100 times the man that Cobain was.
+1
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

I actually thought this was common knowledge...
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

Luke

Post by Luke »

What a great comment:
One need only read through a few comments to know that those who hate soldiers hate themselves more. Knowing that there are humans out there who have done more, seen more, sacrificed more, produced more, lived more, been more than they could ever get the courage to do themselves really brings out the hatred in some.

Good luck with living a life of quiet cowardice and insulation from all fear. And please just accept the fact that no one is going to write an article about your life as a self-centered misunderstood poet wannabe.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.