Tri tip slow smoked: better than brisket, 10% of the time

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Tri tip slow smoked: better than brisket, 10% of the time

Post by seeahill »

I've been smoking tri tips on a Big Green Egg just like the one Shape got for father's day in 1896. I use a simple rub (salt garlic pepper), plop it on a grill at 250 with some cherry wood (oak is traditional). Fat cap up. Takes 1 to 1.5 hours. It's done at 130. Maybe 135. Slice it thin against the grain and watch out, cuz the grain goes two ways in this cut.

I've made 3 of these this week. I can't stop.

(And Shape baby: think about a BBQ Guru stoker. Hook the tiny fan to your air intake, plug it in, close top vents, set temp. Put probe in meat. Set desired meat temp. It will beep when done and even wi-fi up to your iPhone or computer. Painless, well, except for the couple hundred bucks you pay for it.)

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Tri tip slow smoked: better than brisket, 10% of the tim

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

seeahill wrote:I've been smoking tri tips on a Big Green Egg just like the one Shape got for father's day in 1896. I use a simple rub (salt garlic pepper), plop it on a grill at 250 with some cherry wood (oak is traditional). Fat cap up. Takes 1 to 1.5 hours. It's done at 130. Maybe 135. Slice it thin against the grain and watch out, cuz the grain goes two ways in this cut.

I've made 3 of these this week. I can't stop.

(And Shape baby: think about a BBQ Guru stoker. Hook the tiny fan to your air intake, plug it in, close top vents, set temp. Put probe in meat. Set desired meat temp. It will beep when done and even wi-fi up to your iPhone or computer. Painless, well, except for the couple hundred bucks you pay for it.)
The Guru is awesome, even better for overnight cooks.

Tri tip over oak is the regional BBQ of California.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

10% of the time?? Why bother with shitty cuts of beef anyway? Beef has no flavor of its own. Besides, grilling meat causes cancer in the gut. I found some hot dogs made with pork and chicken. 8 of them for $1 at Kmart if you want tasty and cheap. Boil for 3 minutes, put in soft rolls with onion and honey mustard and eat em up. Yummy!
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Besides the BGE that I got for Father's Day 2006 I also have the Smokin' Tex electric smoker. Pretty much idiot proof. Turkeys come out perfect after a good brine and everything else I've done has been great too. I smoked a couple of prime ribeyes in it for and hour or so then finished them on the BGE and they were awesome. It's a little pricey but it's simple to use and all aluminum. I have not fucked with a tri tip yet. Might have to give that a go.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

It's kind of an old fashioned cut for BBQ/Grilling, but cooking a chuck roast the same way you do a tri-tip is even better. JMO, and my grandfather's who was a butcher.
Shomer Shabbos.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Out of curiousity I visited the BGE website to see if they had any information on BGEs, and found this information which has scared me off.
ALWAYS USE EXTREME CARE WHEN MOVING OR LOADING/UNLOADING AN EGG AS PRODUCT IS HEAVY AND INJURY CAN OCCUR IF DROPPED. EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN MOVING, HANDLING, LOADING OR UNLOADING AN EGG TO AVOID ANY INJURY FROM METAL PARTS.

ALWAYS EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN LIGHTING CHARCOAL, COOKING WITH HOT CHARCOAL OR HANDLING HOT COOKING SURFACES.
A tool for extremists obviously. Users of the BGE should be hunted down with drones.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Nafod you're just being pissy 'cause I fucked with you on your morning psycho drive music. It is a heavy bitch though.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

No way I'm picking one of those things up.

Don’t believe everything you think.

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Post by Andy83 »

nafod wrote:No way I'm picking one of those things up.

Don't do it. You'll put your eye out!
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.