Well then, I guess I'm a racist

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Andy83
Sgt. Major

Re: Well then, I guess I'm a racist

Post by Andy83 »

How about a law suit against Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson for their leadership in race baiting?
Obama's narcissism and arrogance is only superseded by his naivete and stupidity.

kreator

Post by kreator »

Pinky wrote:
kreator wrote:I'm not sure why people are upset now as opposed to when they first heard of the SYG law. The law is what made his actions defensible, not the jury.
Wrong. SYG was never an issue in the trial. This was a traditional self defense case, and the relevant laws (excluding weapons laws) are similar in all states.

Syaigh, it's always nice to see that some liberals still think people are innocent until proven guilty.
Ok I stand corrected that the SYG law specifically wasn't an issue here, but the "relevant laws" are what allowed the jury to make their decision. People are only outraged when the decisions from those laws come down.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

I don't see what's outrageous about "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt."

And the only "White Pride" I enjoy is that we live in a country where rule of law prevails. Not the race-baiting media or the Jackson/Sharpton Injustice Machine.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

syaigh wrote:I don't want a court system that determines its verdicts by media influenced public opinion.
Looks like a good slice of America does.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Just a what if thought

What if the police arrived just before the shooting.

Based on the forensic evidence from court, Zimmerman with a bashed up face, broken nose and bashed up back of head, Martin with no injuries except skinned knuckles...

Would Martin have been charged with assault with intent to cause great bodily harm?
Would Martin have been charged as an adult?
Would it have made national news?

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

kreator wrote:
Pinky wrote:
kreator wrote:I'm not sure why people are upset now as opposed to when they first heard of the SYG law. The law is what made his actions defensible, not the jury.
Wrong. SYG was never an issue in the trial. This was a traditional self defense case, and the relevant laws (excluding weapons laws) are similar in all states.

Syaigh, it's always nice to see that some liberals still think people are innocent until proven guilty.
Ok I stand corrected that the SYG law specifically wasn't an issue here, but the "relevant laws" are what allowed the jury to make their decision. People are only outraged when the decisions from those laws come down.
Which relevant laws do you think are outrageous or unique to Florida? I don't think there's a state in the Union that would forbid the use of lethal force by a victim of potentially lethal violence who is unable to retreat.

People are only outraged about this decision because they are uninformed about the case.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

kreator wrote:
Pinky wrote:

LOL! Please keep typing.

Are you really this uninformed or just stupid?
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

CharlieBob wrote:A tragedy all around, but not one that has anything to do with racism, just the overconfidence of youth and the false bravado of the insecure.
I think this probably describes the event as well as anything I've seen.

Most of what's occurred after the event is a Rorschach test of modern America. As far as I can tell, our MSM and most lib elites can tolerate dead black teens by the train car full if they were killed by other blacks. If they were killed by whites (even legally), it's a crime so heinous that it's an indelible blot on society.

Zimmerman was a marked man from the moment they shitcanned the police chief. It's a surprisingly positive testament to the system that he prevailed. I don't know if Zimmerman is evil or not but I'm pretty sure Angela Corey is.
Angela Corey, the special prosecutor appointed by Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) to investigate the death of Trayvon Martin, and who charged George Zimmerman (now acquitted) with second-degree murder, fired a whistleblower Friday who revealed that prosecutors had not turned over exculpatory evidence to the defense, the Florida Times-Union reported.

Ben Kruidbos, the information technology director in Corey's office, had testified in a pre-trial hearing about a report he had created regarding text messages and images retrieved from Martin's cellphone. Defense lawyers never received the report from the prosecution, as is required by law.

A hand-delivered letter informing him of his dismissal indicated that he "can never again be trusted to step foot in this office," and cited a variety of reasons for his firing, unrelated to the trial.

Corey's conduct had been questioned from the start, when she made the dramatic announcement that her office would be charging Zimmerman with murder. The affidavit that she filed with the court had omitted exculpatory evidence of Zimmerman's injuries, prompting Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz to accuse her of a "grave ethical violation," adding that her conduct was "not only immoral, but stupid."

Subsequently, Dershowitz said, Corey had threatened to sue Harvard for Dershowitz's remarks.

Corey was also criticized, particularly as the weakness of the prosecution's became apparent, for seeking a conviction on second-degree murder, rather than a lesser charge such as manslaughter.

She dismissed that criticism, according to the New York Times, after the verdict was delivered on Saturday evening: "We charged what we had based on the facts of the case....We truly believe the mind-set of George Zimmerman and the reason he was doing what he did fit the bill for second-degree murder."

Corey had also attended the Zimmerman trial in the company of Trayvon Martin's relatives.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Pinky wrote:People are only outraged about this decision because they are uninformed about the case.
You're talking about the idiots, which neither side is lacking. There are people who are upset for legit reasons:

At the police
Taking the shooter's statement at face value and releasing him would very likely not have happened had the races of the two parties been switched, or even if Z had also been black. This would be the case even if they ultimately found there wasn't enough info to charge him. They mangled the early handling of the case pretty badly.

At Z
Say his account is completely accurate. Carrying a gun for self-defense comes with an obligation to mind your own business and not going out looking for trouble. Once he gets out of the car, he is engaging in HBAD behavior that in a fair world should result in some liability. He acted a lot like so many wannabes who have jerk-off fantasies about justifiably shooting a criminal who just so happens to black. It looked pretty bad, which is why the conservative media didn't defend him a bit until Obama took the other side.

Martin died because Zimmerman packed a gun and decided to be a self-appointed armed crime fighter, while having no ability to handle an unarmed confrontation. That this appears to be perfectly legal troubles people.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

kreator

Post by kreator »

Pinky wrote: Which relevant laws do you think are outrageous or unique to Florida?
People are only outraged about this decision because they are uninformed about the case.
I don't think it's outrageous at all.
Batboy2/75 wrote:LOL! Please keep typing.

Are you really this uninformed or just stupid?
I think we agree on the results here, sir. I'm just trying to make sense of why a large portion of the general public is mad about it. I think we agree that they are uninformed on how a jury doesn't write a law.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

kreator wrote: I'm just trying to make sense of why a large portion of the general public is mad about it. I think we agree that they are uninformed on how a jury doesn't write a law.
There's nothing wrong with the law. In almost every state, people have the right to defend themselves when attacked. And the prosecution must prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.
And a substantial number of the pissed-off general public is running free today because of the presumption of innocence and the "beyond reasonable doubt" requirement.

Folks are mad because their initial opinions were poisoned by media propaganda and/or race-baiting hucksters like Sharpton & Crump.

W.B. Yeats

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Martin died because Zimmerman packed a gun and decided to be a self-appointed armed crime fighter, while having no ability to handle an unarmed confrontation. That this appears to be perfectly legal troubles people.
It's admirable that Zimmerman cared enough to join his neighborhood watch. (Not everyone is obliged to watch their hood turn into a shithole like Spells lives in.)
Zimmerman had every right to patrol, watch, report, follow, get out of his truck, walk on the sidewalk, and even to peacefully converse with Martin. I wish, and I think he wishes, that he'd been more able in the hand-to-hand department. But, if he can be believed, he got sucker punched, and never gained the initiative.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote: Martin died because Zimmerman packed a gun and decided to be a self-appointed armed crime fighter, while having no ability to handle an unarmed confrontation. That this appears to be perfectly legal troubles people.
It's admirable that Zimmerman cared enough to join his neighborhood watch.
Nothing to do with neighborhood watch. He blatantly disregarded the neighborhood watch's policies on not confronting suspects, which are there to avoid situations like the one he found himself in. He disregarded instructions to stay in his vehicle from 911, which were for his safety.
Zimmerman had every right to patrol, watch, report, follow, get out of his truck, walk on the sidewalk, and even to peacefully converse with Martin.
His rights go well beyond that. He has the legal right to arm himself, go out looking for people he perceives to be punks, mis-identify criminals, confront them without training or the authority of a badge, and kill them if things get physical. This upsets people.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Pinky wrote:People are only outraged about this decision because they are uninformed about the case.
You're talking about the idiots, which neither side is lacking.
I'm also talking about outrage over the decision, not outrage over the initial treatment of Z or Z's stupid decisions.
At the police
Taking the shooter's statement at face value and releasing him would very likely not have happened had the races of the two parties been switched, or even if Z had also been black. This would be the case even if they ultimately found there wasn't enough info to charge him. They mangled the early handling of the case pretty badly.
But this is also silly. There's no evidence that the police simply took Zimmerman's statement at face value with no other examination of the evidence. People who make this argument need to point to specific mishandling of the case, or they need to calm down.
Martin died because Zimmerman packed a gun and decided to be a self-appointed armed crime fighter, while having no ability to handle an unarmed confrontation. That this appears to be perfectly legal troubles people.
I agree completely that Zimmerman acted foolishly. But that doesn't negate the right to self defense.

So then which foolish actions should we punish by law? Getting out the car when there's a suspicious character in the area? Carrying a gun without having the ability to beat up a high-school football player? How about dressing like a slut around drunken men?
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:His rights go well beyond that. He has the legal right to arm himself, go out looking for people he perceives to be punks, mis-identify criminals, confront them without training or the authority of a badge, and kill them if things get physical. This upsets people.
You don't know that Zimmerman confronted Martin, and neither does anyone else who's upset about this.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:confront them without training or the authority of a badge, and kill them if things get physical. This upsets people.
Where do you get the "confront?" Any basis beyond the fantasies of race-baiters?

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Pinky wrote:I agree completely that Zimmerman acted foolishly. But that doesn't negate the right to self defense.

So then which foolish actions should we punish by law? Getting out the car when there's a suspicious character in the area? Carrying a gun without having the ability to beat up a high-school football player? How about dressing like a slut around drunken men?
Nope. Just arming oneself and then confronting people who are breaking no laws, if that confrontation ends in the death of the party who was minding his own business.

VO2 maxed
Sarge

Post by VO2 maxed »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Pinky wrote:I agree completely that Zimmerman acted foolishly. But that doesn't negate the right to self defense.

Nope. Just arming oneself and then confronting people who are breaking no laws, if that confrontation ends in the death of the party who was minding his own business.
You must have access to evidence that no one else has.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Pinky wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:His rights go well beyond that. He has the legal right to arm himself, go out looking for people he perceives to be punks, mis-identify criminals, confront them without training or the authority of a badge, and kill them if things get physical. This upsets people.
You don't know that Zimmerman confronted Martin, and neither does anyone else who's upset about this.
It seems to be the only reasonable explanation. Nobody knows anything they didn't personally witness, but if you think there's a reasonable doubt that Z confronted M, based on Z's account of why he ignored neighborhood watch training, 911 instructions, and got out of his truck, and ended up nowhere near the truck and in a fight, we disagree.

But confronting him wasn't what he was tried for, since it isn't illegal.

CharlieBob
Sarge

Post by CharlieBob »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Martin died because Zimmerman packed a gun and decided to be a self-appointed armed crime fighter, while having no ability to handle an unarmed confrontation. That this appears to be perfectly legal troubles people.
So Trayvon has no culpability in this whole thing at all? Just an innocent bystander shot in the night?
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

30 years ago, two families (call them a and b) competed in the same business. they had a feud. one night, family a tried to steal some lumber from of a new building family b was putting up. family a sent one of their kids in. family b was lying in wait and grabbed the kid. dad of kid from family a went rushing in. guy from family b had a gun and pistol whipped father from family a. fucked him up. brother of pistol whipped guy from family a emerged from hiding and shot the guy from family b. brother from a also shot a neighbor of b, who was with b

shoots them both deader 'n a smelt.

the shooter from family b got off on self defense.

moved to hawaii.

the son of the dead guy from family b drove around in a pick up with bullet holes in it. took over the family business.

apparently you can attempt to commit a crime, pick a fight, and still get off on self-defense if you plan goes pear-shaped.

true story.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Does it upset a majority of people in that neighborhood when they vote and aren't on camera? That seems to be the key question. A history of recent, unresolved, property crimes in the neighborhood (which do reduce property values) would seem to be a factor as well.

I make no judgements on these questions. Like you, I wasn't there and don't live there.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule