Why Are You Alive?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Why Are You Alive?

Post by Bram »

Heard this question asked by happiness professor Arthur Brooks on Tim Ferris’ podcast. I think Arthur has been on multiple times, this podcast’s title is “Reverse Bucket Lists, The Four False Idols, And More”

I asked one of my clients this question, a person whom I deeply admire, and she replied: “To make everywhere I go better.”

In her 80’s, she serves on a half-dozen boards, is super close to her family, travels all over, is active in her church, constantly is trying new recipes and hosting parties…and is probably the only person I’ve met who ALWAYS sends a Thank You card.

What’s your answer?
“Under the heavens, there is but one family.” — Bruce Lee

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Why Are You Alive?

Post by Bram »

My answer is: “To do awesome stuff and to help other people do awesome stuff.”

There are a couple reasons I found this important, and why I wanted to share the question:

1) I don’t believe my point is in telling people about awesome stuff I’ve done. It’s just in doing it. Like Eric Liddell says in Chariots of Fire, “I feel God’s pleasure when I run.” I definitely don’t feel God’s pleasure when I blather about it.

2) This clarifies why a lot of my inter-personal interactions feel draining. If we’re hanging out, I want to have an awesome experience — which can just be good conversation! Regularly, I find myself eating mediocre, often expensive food, while the other person complains about their life. And that is more or less the only option they’re into if we hang out. Fuck that!

3) I want to spread the joy, but I don’t care about credit for it. If we get to do something cool together, or if we head to the gym and I lift and you swim…that’s great!

4) Lastly, I’m near-useless with getting people off their asses unless I’m in person. Instead of wasting time trying to inspire over the phone or via text, I can just concentrate on whomever’s in front of me.

I really do hope you find this question useful too!

Ronald RayGun

Why Are You Alive?

Post by Ronald RayGun »

I figure why the fuck not? What the fuck else do I have going on?
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

lenny
Staff Sergeant

Why Are You Alive?

Post by lenny »

The answer has changed over the last 56 years since 1967 when it was to learn and be successful (not to be rich but at a career in math) at Columbia University when my goals changed overnight to learning mainly from friends all over the world (I barely went to class and read a lot on my own and refused to memorize for tests which i crammed for the night before after 9 weeks into the semester- hi school was 5 tests a week, a ton of homework I hated and an enormous amount of boring classes with more hatred with a couple exceptions but still was one of the 4 smart people at the top of the class of 850 believe it or not.) Back to Columbia, with some of my generation, stop the Viet Nam war, bring revolutionary changes to America to eliminate discrimination war poverty and a lot of terrible social injustice,

Sounds insane but I was a teenager and if you have zero impossible idealism at that age to pare back later when will you have any (at least that’s my thinking now - that goes for my generation) to make the world better? Most of my generation from universities especially the Ivy League became extremely materialistic, successful, and are bleeding America financially to the detriment of young people. I rebelled and am not materialistic.

In 1972 I got into meditation (with a few years exception when I was into jogging, Tai Chi, classical guitar, skateboarding and was working and was my healthiest emotionally) and an intense spiritual path and thought we'd change the world that way by being more peaceful and bringing the Divine into the world. Another illusion bit the dust. Sounds crazy but if you had enough educated peaceful people who could organize peacefully it could bring down the financial elites, mega corporations with all the real political power. In America you don’t need a violent revolution, not yet anyhow. I’m not hopeful not in my lifetime.

Now I try to be a good person. I was in the supermarket at about 5AM while it was dark out (Goggins in chapter 3 of his book Can't hurt me (listening to the audible version) said do something that sucks every day. I hardly slept and figured fuck it this will be my one hard thing that sucks which wasn't that bad but i had zero energy to put away the food at home. The cashier was an Arab so I spoke a few words in Arabic to him which made him smile. Another worker knows me and we had big smiles and said hi loudly when we saw each other. No shoppers in the store. My building has an elevator. It stopped on my floor before I went out and a guy delivering newspapers was really startled. He didn't expect to see anybody. I made a joke out of it.

Here, I try to provide some wisdom, occasionally entertainment and what I think might be valuable to at least one person.

Finally there are a few friends of friends who want to learn meditation online and I agreed.
Over and out
your friend lenny

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Why Are You Alive?

Post by Bram »

Ronald RayGun wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:34 am I figure why the fuck not? What the fuck else do I have going on?

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Why Are You Alive?

Post by Bram »

Lenny, I'm with you on the little acts of goodwill. Offering someone a hug who's having a hard day, cracking a joke, letting someone cut in line at the grocery store. It makes each day a little richer when you remember to look for those moments.

Appreciate your always thoughtful responses,

Your pal Bram

lenny
Staff Sergeant

Why Are You Alive?

Post by lenny »

Bram
If I ever get to the San Diego area, pretty doubtful at the moment, I'd like to talk to you in person. With me I never know. I told a friend of mine in America over 8 years ago, I don't think I'll ever see you again. Well a lot of crazy things happened and two days later I was staying on his floor for a week.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Why Are You Alive?

Post by Bram »

Hit me up if you do! I’ve got an extra board you can use and we can surf a fun, chill, uncrowded spot I know by a meditation garden

lenny
Staff Sergeant

Why Are You Alive?

Post by lenny »

Thanks I appreciate it.