"Buy Used" feature on Amazon.com

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

"Buy Used" feature on Amazon.com

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

I had my doubts about this feature, but there was a $40 cookbook by Michael Chiarello that I really wanted but couldn't stand (or afford) to pay the full cover price for. So I ordered a "used" copy in good condition from one of the used booksellers listed on the page in good condition for $10.00 plus a bit of shipping. It showed up 10 days later in prime condition.

Same results for 6 other hardbacks. Most of the time the books are actually 'remaindered', instead of previously owned. They all show up in 10-12 days as promised, and they are all in the condition promised. A couple have been "book club" versions of the originals (slightly larger, no dust jacket, and the graphics for the jacket are incorporated into the cover of the book), but if the seller says they are in 'fine' or 'good' condition, they inevitably are just that. Amazon handles all the billing and invoicing for you, and the process is painless.

So far, I've saved at least $120 while I acquired hardcover books that are too popular or specialized to ever be printed in trade paperback form. Call me a happy camper.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Re: "Buy Used" feature on Amazon.com

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Lemon Magic wrote:I had my doubts about this feature, but there was a $40 cookbook by Michael Chiarello that I really wanted but couldn't stand (or afford) to pay the full cover price for. So I ordered a "used" copy in good condition from one of the used booksellers listed on the page in good condition for $10.00 plus a bit of shipping. It showed up 10 days later in prime condition.

Same results for 6 other hardbacks. Most of the time the books are actually 'remaindered', instead of previously owned. They all show up in 10-12 days as promised, and they are all in the condition promised. A couple have been "book club" versions of the originals (slightly larger, no dust jacket, and the graphics for the jacket are incorporated into the cover of the book), but if the seller says they are in 'fine' or 'good' condition, they inevitably are just that. Amazon handles all the billing and invoicing for you, and the process is painless.

So far, I've saved at least $120 while I acquired hardcover books that are too popular or specialized to ever be printed in trade paperback form. Call me a happy camper.
I've ordered probably 6 used books off of Amazon. The only draw back is that you usually have to wait a bit longer for your stuff to arrive.

BB2/75
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

lopa
Gunny

Post by lopa »

Well, you've just reminded me. I've been meaning to buy Mark Bittman's - The Best Recipes in the World and so I just did. 14 dollars and change.
I'm upset I can't beat you to death with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Another plug for it: I use it all the time; never thought to mention it here, though. Works well, and it all goes through Amazon so you don't have to deal with 100 different searches and accounts and all that.

Rarely do I want a brand-new book anyway, and this service has never disappointed me yet.

GDG!
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

mrzero
Gunny

Post by mrzero »

I've had a few run in on Amazon-used and Amazon-marketplace where I've ended up with the hong-kong knock-off version of a movie. No problems with books though.
Life ain't a track meet; it's a marathon

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Dr. Jack wrote: I buy used books monthly, never had a bad one yet.
Jesus. Based on this line:
Nothing gets a woman hot like a man who can save money by bargain shopping.
that's not all you get "monthly."

GDG!
Last edited by GoDogGo! on Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

GoDogGo! wrote:
Dr. Jack wrote: I buy used books monthly, never had a bad one yet.
Jesus. Based on this line:
Nothing gets a woman hot like a man who can save money by bargain shopping.
that's not all you get monthly.

GDG!
#-o =D>
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Sean
Sarge

Post by Sean »

if you don't mind parting with some of your used books check out paperbackswap.com- you end up just paying postage.

Sean

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Does Amazon charge extra for used books if a smoker was the original owner? Nothing better than secondhand book smoke.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Chr1stine
Sarge

Post by Chr1stine »

I buy most of my books from Amazon Marketplace. The only time I buy new is when I am too impatient to wait. I've never had a problem with any of the books.

My experience with selling on AM is just as good. It is extremely easy. Actually, it's much easier than eBay because you just type in the ISBN and Amazon displays a price that would be the lowest, so you can sell faster. Takes like 2-3 clicks. I once sold a book 5 minutes after I posted it.

No complaints about this service.
MarcoFP to @ wrote: If you break out picture of your cock or dick or venn or what the fuck ever you call it, I'll see to it your mother gets pig sexed for a month.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I virtually only buy used from Amazon and have always been happy with the results. You can get great books, often out of print, for cents on the dollar.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen