BJJ Over 40 by Roy Harris

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

BJJ Over 40 by Roy Harris

Post by Fat Cat »

This is the absolute shit. I can't recommend it highly enough. Roy is soft spoken with super-efficient jiujitsu and a huge amount of respect for the arts. He also is one of the few BJJ guys that can and does use aiki techniques in sparring, like nikkyo, ikkyo and kote-gaeshi. In the sparring section he actually taps out and throws around a decent brown belt with kote-gaeshi. The techniques shown here are all about energy efficiency and safety, so they apply to virtually any martial artist who is old enough to pay attention to these topics in their training.

Best training video I have seen in a long time. And I see a lot.

http://www.royharris.biz/catalog/i19.html

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Over 40 - DVD
While there certainly are a ton of instructionals out there for tournament competitors, the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Over 40 instructional DVD breaks new ground by focusing on the needs of practitioners who are close to or over the age of forty, have the responsibilities of family and career waiting for them immediately following class and have major concerns regarding the frequency and severity of injuries while sparring. For many of these practitioners, Jiu Jitsu is simply a fun hobby used to help them stay in shape, relieve stress, keep their mind sharp, make friends and have fun!

The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Over 40 instructional DVD will help these “mature practitionersâ€
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm all over this one (even though I'm only 36).

nativebermudian
Corporal

Post by nativebermudian »

I wouldn't say thickheaded, I would say "cranially blessed".
NB

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person »

I need that more than BAD needs Jesus.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Tom Furman turned me on to Roys stuff over a year ago. Back then, my work and where I lived kept me from stopping by Roy's San Diego School.

My own viewing of Roy's Over 40 DVD, Makena's review, and Tom's first recomendation have convinced me to do some BJJ with Roy to suppliment my Judo Newaza. I usually cross train with some Gracie Bara BJJ guys, but it's very obvious that Roy's method of breaking down and teaching BJJ are very superior to what I have available. My job situation has changed some what so that making 2-3 classes a week at Roy's place is very doable.

Roy in his video brings everthing back the basics. Nothing flashy, just basic BJJ that relies on proper body movement & alignment. The emphasis is on very soft BJJ. Matching an older guys patience, timing, and technique against a young guys strength and speed.

I loved his use of Wrist locks in his grappling demonstrations. While some will say this is an Aikido influence (and it may be where Roy picked up these techniques), Judo and BJJ (via Judo) do have these with in the system. It's just that like Atemi, wrist locks have fallen by the way side.

BB2/75
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Borrowing from Dan Johns a bit with this.
It's not that wristlocks don't work, the way YOU apply wristlocks does not work.
I have seen wristlocks taught in every martial arts school I spent more than a month at, and all of them sucked compared to what I've learned from Lamond and NB.
Most teach them as an after thought, or as a small side catagory, so there should be no wonder when most MAs feel they are a thing of the past..
Hell, I myself have a rule regarding knife defense, stateing that to control the blade you have to work from the elbow up, anything lower can and will get you cut bad (You always assume you willl get cut, but you just want to be cut once and then he dies). That's a good rule and has very few situational/positional caveats (Knife held to front of throat)
All the same, Crom strips my blade a good amount of the time with Kotgaesh and Nikyu, and when I am really trying to nail him.
He's obviously very good at wrist control.

Topic author
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

The thing that I have always felt with wristlocks is that it isn't that they don't work, but that the smaller the joint, the more of the man is left to struggle against it. What Harris opened my eyes to was that there is more than one way to control a person, whereas before I would have to have my opponent pinned to the mat before I would even consider a wristlock possible. Now I see it as an opportunity to exercise control over my opponent from first contact.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Tip.

It's easy to slap on a wristlock, if you stomp their foot or kick them low as you grab the wrist, overstimulation and all that. He'll be on 1 foot as you lock up the wrist.
Your right though, there is more of the man so to speak, you have to get it on hard and quick and be willoing to attack something else if it starts to slip out. Lots of times people fixate on a lock they really dont have, and stay with it for to long.
You have to train to be 3 moves a head all the time, and have bail outs.
Kensetsuwaza, screwed up can lead to sankyu, Sankyu screwd up can lead to Kensetsuwaza or DaiNikyu. Kote Geash sets up elbow to the face, so Kote Geash works better=)

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

I have heard nothing but incredible praise for anything Roy Harris has put out. Very detail oriented and superb teaching method.

This is on my list of DVD's to buy.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person »

So far I have watched the first 3 or 4 chapters. The technique part three times. I'm going to watch, and practise a lot more of it. Excellent stuff. The "tire the MF out with a solid defence" stuff is revolutionary, at least for me, and it really works. Had lots of fun with it today. Brought a whole new approach to my game and an excellent way to escape the mount without Upa, which I'm totally unable to do with the condition of my back. The real test will be as soon as I spar someone who is really good.