Extreme Power Yoga for the Warrior Athelete, the Yoga Doc

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Trip

Extreme Power Yoga for the Warrior Athelete, the Yoga Doc

Post by Trip »

For the past few months I have been doing Baron Baptiste's Jouney Into Power DVD #1. I don't know a lot about yoga, but the yoga doc's DVD looks a lot like Baptiste's stuff. It is aimed at athletes and people who are looking for a routine to supplement their other activities. The DVD contains a 30 minute workout and continues from there to a full hour workout. The workouts are demonstrated by the yoga doc and his very actractive wife on the basketball court at Georgia Tech.

I have the YRG book and have to admit that I was turned off by the cheesiness of it, but I am probably not really the target audience. You can get Baptiste's stuff at the local bookstore from $10-15 per DVD and if you don't mind the granola crunchiness of them they are a good deal IMO. Plus, they do have more eye candy.

I will continue using the yoga doc's routine and see how it goes.

Gaara Gryphon
Gunny

Post by Gaara Gryphon »

Link?
Mendokusai...

Topic author
Trip

Post by Trip »

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Is it worhwhile to have both dvd's? Yoga doc's and Baptiste's?

Topic author
Trip

Post by Trip »

Is it worhwhile to have both dvd's? Yoga doc's and Baptiste's?
No, I really don't think so.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

This is from my training log that I thought should go here.

I feel fantastic after doing this dvd. This is my favorite of all the yoga that I do. While I consider this 'active recovery' it is more a workout, yet much more than that. This requires the same strength that you would use doing calisthenics. I am thoroughly worked in the upper body, especially the shoulders, afterwards. Plenty of dynamic stretching involved as well. There is a decent cardiovascular effect as well. The pace is fast and combined with the difficulty of the movements can really tax you. I always work up a nice sweat while doing the dvd. You are also breathing continuously through your nose so you have to learn to regulate your breath while working through the movements. On top of all of this the depth of the movements combined with rotation and torsion of some of the poses makes you feel as if you have had a realignment by a chiropractor. My back and hips feel full of energy and rejuvenized afterwards. I highly recommend this dvd to anyone as you can work your way through the movements over time. I just wish I had the time to do this dvd more often.

All of that being said I still would not give up my other 'forms' of yoga.

I look at the David Swenson Short Forms dvd as an actual spiritual yoga practice. The dvd doesn't tax me as much as Yoga Doc but some of the poses are ridiculously difficult. Some of the movements are impossible to do for anyone with any muscle mass or girth at all. Swenson also stresses the breath much more than the poses. This is why I consider this my spiritual yoga practice. I also like to do this dvd when I am pushed for time. It offers a pressed for time15 min. practice, a 30 min. beginner practice and a 45 min. intermediate practice. Now, I realize this is the short form dvd and that the long form, if that's the correct term, is probably much more of a workout. I do enjoy this very much.

The last type of yoga that I do is the DDP Yoga for Regular Guys. I bought this book on the recommendation of many of my IGx brothers and I think it is a great book. Lots of great info. in it. While I am pretty damn flexible I still like to do this when I don't want to follow along with a dvd. The 45 min. routine is still good and there are quite a few poses I still enjoy practicing. Also it has some very nice routines in the Hammer and Duct Tape section for a quick fix or to work on something in particular. There is also lots of good info. on nutrition, icing and massaging.
Last edited by Mickey O'neil on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Mickey O'neil wrote: I look at the David Swenson Short Forms dvd as an actual spiritual yoga practice. The dvd doesn't tax me as much as Yoga Doc but some of the poses are ridiculously difficult. Some of the movements are impossible to do for anyone with any muscle mass or girth at all. Swenson also stresses the breath much more than the poses. This is why I consider this my spiritual yoga practice. I also like to do this dvd when I am pushed for time. It offers a pressed for time15 min. practice, a 30 min. beginner practice and a 45 min. intermediate practice. Now, I realize this is the short form dvd and that the long form, if that's the correct term, is probably much more of a workout. I do enjoy this very much.
I agree with your assessment.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

sanchezero

Post by sanchezero »

It offers a pressed for time15 min. practice, a 30 min. beginner practice and a 45 min. intermediate practice.
Mickey, which of the DVDs was the one referenced in the quote above?
have you ever been as far as even considered go want to do look more like?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's teh David Swenson short forms DVD, has three workouts: 15, 30 and 45 minutes respectively.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

After reading all the hoo-hah about YRG . I got the YRG book and the "Fountain Of Youth" edition of the DVDs (what with being just within that demographic and all).

Not bad. Richard Freeman has nothing to worry about, and I still think the Bikram routine is more sophisticated and better for overall balance and joint health...but I felt like I'd done something worthwhile after I finished. Page is a hoot to watch, and I have to admit that the "Yoga Doc" himself is pretty impressive. I might go ahead and get "his" version of YRG (I assume that's what the Yoga Doc DVD is about.)

I agree that the "Hammer and Duct Tape" section of YRG is nicely conceived and put together. There's some good stuff in there.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

Lemon Magic wrote: I might go ahead and get "his" version of YRG (I assume that's what the Yoga Doc DVD is about.)
My understanding is that it's a heckuva lot harder that YRG. Anyone know different?

GDG!
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

wyliec
Sarge

yoga doc

Post by wyliec »

The yoga doc's dvd is quite a few levels higher than YRG.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Fat Cat wrote:It's teh David Swenson short forms DVD, has three workouts: 15, 30 and 45 minutes respectively.
Sanchezero, Mak is correct. The David Swenson short forms DVD.

Craig
Sarge

Post by Craig »

Mickey O'neil wrote:Is it worhwhile to have both dvd's? Yoga doc's and Baptiste's?
Use your spelling checker! \:D/

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Craig wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:Is it worhwhile to have both dvd's? Yoga doc's and Baptiste's?
Use your spelling checker! \:D/
Use your retard checker. Tard.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

GoDogGo! wrote:
Lemon Magic wrote: I might go ahead and get "his" version of YRG (I assume that's what the Yoga Doc DVD is about.)
My understanding is that it's a heckuva lot harder that YRG. Anyone know different?

GDG!
I don't find the overall workout to be much harder than the 45 min YRG but there are a couple of movements that are significantly harder such as the flying V, and the headstand. YRG feels more leg intensive and Yoga Doc more upper body. I like both but do YRG more frequently just because.