Thick face, Black Heart.

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Thick face, Black Heart.

Post by Batboy2/75 »

I've been meaning to read this book for some time. Mostly because of the recommendation from other IGx members.

I have to say I was disappointed. Not because it was a bad book or that theories presented are not sound. It's just that I had been exposed to the same material, either through reading, other people's advice, or my own experiences.

However, I seriously doubt most people have had the military training/experiences and more importantly the sales training/experience that I have had over the last 15 years. If I had read this book back in 1992, when it was first published, it probably would have had a bigger impact on me. It probably would have shortened the learning curve.

I would recommend this book to anyone that is interested in success in any endeavor. It's not perfect and the author is a bit annoying at times, but she put a lot of gems into this book.

Here are the take away points from the book:

Thick face: The ability to put self-doubt aside. Refusing to accept the limitations that others try to impose on you, nor the limitations that you (self doubt) place on yourself. You do not question your worthiness, in your eyes you are perfect.

Black Heart:A black Hearted person is above shortsighted compassion. He focuses his attention on his goals and ignores the cost. A black hearted person has the courage to fail.

Dispassion and Detachment: the courage to fight without fear; able to detach from the emotions associated with defeat. Detach from the emotion of fear it is no longer an obstacle.

Dharma:to act in accordance with ones duty. Or in cowboy lingo, Riding for the brand.

Deception without Deceit:The con man and the businessman (salesman) both employ the skills of deception and make others perceive the benefits to be gained by associating with them. The difference between the con man and the salesman is not their outward actions, but the expression of their souls. The conman never delivers on his promises, the salesman on the other hand delivers a product.

Noble attributes of work: Work does not need you you need work.

Advantages of playing the fool: Victory through submission. If one is strong, then one should disguise oneself in order to appear inept or weak. The are appropriate times to use force and appropriate times not to use force. Maximum efficiency with minimum effort.

Thriving among the cunning and ruthless: Those that are naturally cunning and ruthless can always identify sweet and trusting individuals. Just like in the animal kingdom, the lion can always single out the weak-spirited wildebeest among a herd of thousands.

Acquiring the killer instinct: To succeed in life, you must have the will and tenacity to finish the job quickly and cleanly. The ability to be cruel in order to be kind.

BB2/75
Last edited by Batboy2/75 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Good review!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I've been meaning to grab this for a while. I keep forgetting.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

It's a good book. I think people with a lot of military/sales/business training might find a lot they already know. OTOH, people don't always carry that over into other aspects of their lives very well, and having these principles in mind can't hurt.

I liked how the author frames morality and religion in the context of being ruthless.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Nice review. It's a good read.

Gene
Don't like yourself too much.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I put it down half way through. She makes all of the points Bats talks about early on and then just keeps going. It could have been a great pamplet, but she stretched it into a book.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Pinky wrote:I put it down half way through. She makes all of the points Bats talks about early on and then just keeps going. It could have been a great pamplet, but she stretched it into a book.
Exactly, she rambles like a motherfucker. Too many goofy business anecdotes that only loosely apply to the principles that she's trying to convey, and she's all "Ah...you see...he no Thick Face Black Heart...that why he lose".

A little heavy on the fortune cookie Asian wisdom at times, also.

grey

Post by grey »

I really enjoyed the read and learned a lot all of the way through. I plan on making it a yearly read. Some of the claims regarding human nature and other things are kind of laughable and I wonder how many of the examples are really true. Over all though I was able to put a few of the ideas from the book into action immediately. I would highly recommend this.
Training Log

Talk - Action = Shit

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Pinky wrote:I put it down half way through. She makes all of the points Bats talks about early on and then just keeps going. It could have been a great pamplet, but she stretched it into a book.
Exactly, she rambles like a motherfucker. Too many goofy business anecdotes that only loosely apply to the principles that she's trying to convey, and she's all "Ah...you see...he no Thick Face Black Heart...that why he lose".

A little heavy on the fortune cookie Asian wisdom at times, also.
BB's summary was good. The book is worth reading, but is no Think and Grow Rich.

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart »

I concur. Has the original source material ever been published in English?

I don't have my copy near me and can't remember the woman's name but doesn't she state or imply that the original is too esoteric and context dependent for us simple Westerners to un'erstand?
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.