ROME: Season II

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Re: ROME: Season II

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
onealjn wrote:Darth, let us know if you take up Latin. Might be worthwile, since you got a hard on for shit Roman.

You might want to check out the epic Masters of Rome series of books. They are written by a broad, but are very well researched and the first book, The First Man in Rome is fucking great. The next book The Grass Crown is also bitchin. Those two cover the rise of Marius and Sulla. The rest are pretty much McCullough masturbating about Julius Caesar. Still good stuff.

Masters of Rome

EDIT: Actually she take three volumes to get to Sulla's height. Marius and Sulla rule (literally).
I've been looking for a new series. It sounds like a trip to B&N is in order.
A warning: it can get kinda Harlequinish, due to the broad author. Good summer read though.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

GoDogGo! wrote:
DARTH wrote: What I ment by no breaks for white boys was not in collegew, but gone are the days when you can get out of HS, bang nails and make a good living , have your own home and send your kids to school. The World is getting smaller and there is more compitition, I want my boys to have all the skills to pay the bills, get rich and take care of Poppa when I am shitting in my Depends.
That is all very true.
I disagree.

The days of making a living banging nails and digging ditches was over a long time before globalization. However, there are plenty of trade jobs a kid can get after HS and make a good living.

I know tons of guys making good livings as mechanics, iron workers, welders, electricians, etc. The difference between them and those of the older generation is that they recognise that they can't sit around being complacent. They have to be continually sharpening their skill set or branching out.

A friend of mine was a Mercedes Diesel mechanic. When things just began to slow down in California car sales he started to take classes in Martime diesel engines. Next thing he knew he was working on boats up and down the Pacific North West machine double what he was making before. Instead of sitting around complaining about illegal aliens, fat cat corporate types, or demanding the government take care of his ass; he went out and solved his own fucking problems.

Dylan, are you divorced now? One of your posts made it seem like you and the old lady are no longer an Army of one.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Batboy2/75 wrote:
GoDogGo! wrote:
DARTH wrote: What I ment by no breaks for white boys was not in collegew, but gone are the days when you can get out of HS, bang nails and make a good living , have your own home and send your kids to school. The World is getting smaller and there is more compitition, I want my boys to have all the skills to pay the bills, get rich and take care of Poppa when I am shitting in my Depends.
That is all very true.
I disagree.

The days of making a living banging nails and digging ditches was over a long time before globalization. However, there are plenty of trade jobs a kid can get after HS and make a good living.

I know tons of guys making good livings as mechanics, iron workers, welders, electricians, etc. The difference between them and those of the older generation is that they recognise that they can't sit around being complacent. They have to be continually sharpening their skill set or branching out.

A friend of mine was a Mercedes Diesel mechanic. When things just began to slow down in California car sales he started to take classes in Martime diesel engines. Next thing he knew he was working on boats up and down the Pacific North West machine double what he was making before. Instead of sitting around complaining about illegal aliens, fat cat corporate types, or demanding the government take care of his ass; he went out and solved his own fucking problems.

Dylan, are you divorced now? One of your posts made it seem like you and the old lady are no longer an Army of one.
Michael Jackson made a killing in sheetrock.

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
GoDogGo! wrote:
That is all very true.
I disagree.

Bats,

I am not saying it's impossable, just saying the trades are not the option they used to be, and coming from them originally I know of what I speak.

My Dad has done real well for himself, starting as a carpenter and has owned his own companies since he was 28. (He was damn near rich in the mid 80s, it turned him Republican)

My Step Dad worked as a welder, than as a superviser atr Griffess AFB (Rome Labs) while doing motors and custom Harley's on the side. He retired from working for the Air Force last year, has his own shop and is enjoying himself while drawing a great pension, some disability from his wounds in S.E. Asia and getting payed top $$$$ doing motor work for guys like the OCC boys and others.

Bottom line, my boys are going to college, or the Marine Corps or both, no "Fnding myself" or "I'll just get a job." shit for them. They want to play GeeTar like Daddy did in his early adulthood, fine but they'll be going to school while theyt do it. If they make it in music or whatever then fine, but if not they are are armed to be bosses, not drones.
(Kim Thayell from Soundgarden and Chris Haskett from Rollin's Band are both PhDs, guess art worked out for them.)

No I am still the beligerent occupation force at my Ol' Lady's house, I wont exit without my Boy's.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

DARTH wrote:
Batboy2/75 wrote:
GoDogGo! wrote:
That is all very true.
I disagree.

Bats,

I am not saying it's impossable, just saying the trades are not the option they used to be, and coming from them originally I know of what I speak.

My Dad has done real well for himself, starting as a carpenter and has owned his own companies since he was 28. (He was damn near rich in the mid 80s, it turned him Republican)

My Step Dad worked as a welder, than as a superviser atr Griffess AFB (Rome Labs) while doing motors and custom Harley's on the side. He retired from working for the Air Force last year, has his own shop and is enjoying himself while drawing a great pension, some disability from his wounds in S.E. Asia and getting payed top $$$$ doing motor work for guys like the OCC boys and others.

Bottom line, my boys are going to college, or the Marine Corps or both, no "Fnding myself" or "I'll just get a job." shit for them. They want to play GeeTar like Daddy did in his early adulthood, fine but they'll be going to school while theyt do it. If they make it in music or whatever then fine, but if not they are are armed to be bosses, not drones.
(Kim Thayell from Soundgarden and Chris Haskett from Rollin's Band are both PhDs, guess art worked out for them.)

No I am still the beligerent occupation force at my Ol' Lady's house, I wont exit without my Boy's.

Give her the old Mark Anthony treatment.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Didn't see anyone else recommend it. If you loved Rome you'll love the books I, Claudius and Claudius the God. The first was made into the best ever miniseries ever by the BBC, back when color TV was special. Here's a great motivational speech given by Livia.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsUThgpC_rg[/youtube]
Don’t believe everything you think.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

nafod wrote:Didn't see anyone else recommend it. If you loved Rome you'll love the books I, Claudius and Claudius the God. The first was made into the best ever miniseries ever by the BBC, back when color TV was special. Here's a great motivational speech given by Livia.

Thanks for the reminder. I got the first couple off of Netflix(?) and then forgot to follow up. Derek Jacobi is good, even when slumming it in tripe like "The Golden Compass." He's also worth watching it in that medieval mystery series he did. Shit, now I can't remember the name.

I've really got to check out "Rome." Women all dolled up in Roman garb, with the jewelry and hair and all, (like Commodus' sister in "Gladiator") really turn my crank.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Topic author
DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

GoDogGo! wrote:
nafod wrote:Didn't see anyone else recommend it. If you loved Rome you'll love the books I, Claudius and Claudius the God. The first was made into the best ever miniseries ever by the BBC, back when color TV was special. Here's a great motivational speech given by Livia.

Thanks for the reminder. I got the first couple off of Netflix(?) and then forgot to follow up. Derek Jacobi is good, even when slumming it in tripe like "The Golden Compass." He's also worth watching it in that medieval mystery series he did. Shit, now I can't remember the name.

I've really got to check out "Rome." Women all dolled up in Roman garb, with the jewelry and hair and all, (like Commodus' sister in "Gladiator") really turn my crank.
The chicks in Rome get down old school.
Pollo disciplining his slave is one of the best.
Atia in season 1, her daughter, Octavia, Cleopatra, Gia in both seasons.
Hand to hand combat and uninhibited banging, along with great writting, acting, set design, costumes and a decent try at historical accuracy make Rome the best series ever, IMO.

I,Claudius, the book is on my list and I want the seris as well.
A buddy of mine is looking for his copy of Masada fo me as well, a young Barbara Carrera getting down.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

DARTH wrote:
GoDogGo! wrote:

The chicks in Rome get down old school.
Pollo disciplining his slave is one of the best.
Atia in season 1, her daughter, Octavia, Cleopatra, Gia in both seasons.
Hand to hand combat and uninhibited banging, along with great writting, acting, set design, costumes and a decent try at historical accuracy make Rome the best series ever, IMO.

I,Claudius, the book is on my list and I want the seris as well.
A buddy of mine is looking for his copy of Masada fo me as well, a young Barbara Carrera getting down.
I , Claudius is great, if just for Derek Jacobi. But if you are looking for accuracy in depicting the ancient world, then you will disappointed. It also has Masterpiece Theater production values. Much better acting and plot than Rome, but not nearly the spectacle.

The book is pretty much the same. Probably better written than the Masters of Rome series, but nearly as painstakingly researched. McCullough did original research and used hundreds / thousands of primary and seconday sources.

If your Latin is good, you might wince at some of her declenations. She often does it for style. Once in a while, she gets her Latin wrong to comedic proportions. The difference between fellatee and fellater. In the later editions, she addresses her mistakes with a decent of humor. The glossary in the back of each book is a great touch as well.

Enjoy!

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Masters of Rome series = out of print. Gotta go used if interested.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

DrDonkeyLove wrote:Masters of Rome series = out of print. Gotta go used if interested.
I think they are being reprinted the end of this year. Check your library. Dunno if they are really worth owning. I would imagine any decent library system would have them. They sold rather well.