The Princess Bride (30th anniversary book)

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

The Princess Bride (30th anniversary book)

Post by nafod »

I've seen the movie too many times to count, and now finally got around to reading the book. The book is actually an abridgement of the original written by an S. Morgenstern, but William Goldman deletes the boring parts and keeping only the adventure, love, poison, sword fights, battles of wit, etc. The story itself is surrounded by descriptions of how he made the movie, his family, his battle with Morgenstern family to win the rights to abridge the follow-on book Buttercup's Baby (they want Steven King to do it) and other stuff.

If you like the movie, you'll enjoy the book. It's like watching the movie with the guy who wrote it sitting next to you, filling in all kinds of details. You learn about the origins of Fezzic and Inigo Montoya, and Miracle Max. All good. If you've never seen the movie, then all the better. It's a great story.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: The Princess Bride (30th anniversary book)

Post by Fat Cat »

"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Goldman spends a lot of time talking about Andre in the 30th anniversary book, expressing a real admiration for him.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I don't know why but I have a 'Dre fascination.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

Funnier than hell, nicely arch and mordant, and the framing stuff where Goldman interjects his biographical material and editorila asides only add to the pleasure of the read. Goldman is quite candid about his less-than-perfect life, but you can see the fierce love he has for some of the people and influences in his life.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man