Randy Hauer's "More Power"

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Randy Hauer's "More Power"

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Randy sent me this to check out. It's a 78 page ebook describing how to start olympic lifting. You can find it on Randy's blog:

http://katastrength.blogspot.com/
http://katastrength.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -book.html

Hauer, in a rare display of common sense* and, perhaps, courage, bucks the system and bit and recommends that you learn the power clean, power snatch, and jerk. This is imminently more sensible than the recommending the average gym goer start learning the full lifts, since most who start out trying (myself included) never fully master them.

What I liked:

1. Initial flexibility and mobility recommendations
2. Talks about positioning and how to miss
3. Learning progressions are logical and progressive

The one thing that made me groan a bit was his treatment of the the cues (either verbalized outloud or silently) for each progression. I just felt it was a bit excessive, and perhaps might overwhelm someone who wasn't very experienced.

For example, for the press (as a prelude to the jerk)
Here is the Press/Jerk variation of the Get Tight, Stay Tight check list:
• Balance between balls of feet and heels
• “Grip the floor” with your toes
• Tighten calves, quads, hams and glutes
• Squeeze your butt cheeks together
• Tighten the abs, think of “bracing to take a punch”
• Elevate the chest
• Inhale deeply, hold and flex the lats immediately before the press
• As you press squeeze the bar
• At the top of the press, exhale sharply then sharply inhale again and hold as
you lower the bar.
• Exhale, inhale and reset before next rep
Overall, I felt this was a very decent treatise on starting the olympic lifts. He also includes several programs, including the highly elusive super secret program his trainee Jen Moray followed while pursuing both olympic lifting and kettlebell sport.

* That kind of came out funny, and since we talk shit about each other here, I'll leave it up, but when I refer to "rare common sense" it's really about some other instructional materials wanting you to go straight to the competitive lifts, not a poke at Randy not displaying common sense often.