Movie: King of Kong

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Eric B
Gunny

Movie: King of Kong

Post by Eric B »

A documentary about a grown man in 2004 who gets laid off and decides to beat the world record high score on Donkey Kong.

I expected to get a few minutes' entertainment laughing at the geeks depicted and then lose interest. It turned out to be a hell of a lot better than that: a great underdog story. My brother (who is into gaming), and my sis-in-law (who is not) both loved it too.

Very nice surprise, very engaging and it's available for instant view on Netflix.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

vern

Re: Movie: King of Kong

Post by vern »

It's a good show. (That Brian Kuh guy needs a serious beating.)

If you liked this I also recommend Word Wars, a documentary about professional Scrabble players. Scary stuff.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Ryan
Sgt. Major

Post by Ryan »

vern wrote: If you liked this I also recommend Word Wars, a documentary about professional Scrabble players. Scary stuff.

Is that Hootie (Darius Rucker)?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

Topic author
Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B »

vern wrote:It's a good show. (That Brian Kuh guy needs a serious beating.)

If you liked this I also recommend Word Wars, a documentary about professional Scrabble players. Scary stuff.

That was pretty good, thanks for the recommendation. Also watched "Dear Zachary" in the same sitting... WHOA. Very powerful, but only watch if you're willing to weep openly, no shit. I'm not a crier. "Dear Zachary" had me sobbing audibly three times, in both a happy and a sad way.

EDIT: Second thought, don't watch "Dear Zachary." Especially if you are a parent.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

vern

Post by vern »

What got to me about the professional Scrabble players is that they dedicate their lives to the game (memorizing the entire dictionary etc...) and there is almost NO money in it.

If you win the Poker World Series thats like $10 million.

If you become the World Chess Champion its around $4 million.

World Scrabble Champ...$30,000. Thanks for coming! :-s
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

vern wrote:What got to me about the professional Scrabble players is that they dedicate their lives to the game (memorizing the entire dictionary etc...) and there is almost NO money in it.

If you win the Poker World Series thats like $10 million.

If you become the World Chess Champion its around $4 million.

World Scrabble Champ...$30,000. Thanks for coming! :-s
Kind of like MMA