The Wire

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Sassenach
ironslinger

The Wire

Post by Sassenach »

The best goddamn television series ever. Gritty, unflinching, but not unsympathetic look at Baltimore: police, criminals, courts, newspapers, dock workers. Best described as a visual novel, there's depth to this series but it's not in your face. It's heros are anti-heros, no one is completely good-- or completely bad, I did find myself rooting for the criminals too.

Omar Little, the most awesome character on TV, oh indeed:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E[/youtube]

I just finished all five seasons, and I think it's definitely suited to watching large chunks of it at a time as opposed to weekly viewing.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

snatch grip
Gunny

Re: The Wire

Post by snatch grip »

Definitely my favorite show ever. No doubt.

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Got my mom an Omar t-shirt for Christmas. Blew her fucking mind. The show totally holds up upon multiple views. One of the best fo sho.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

When campaigning for Prez, Obama was asked his favorite TV character, without missing a beat: Omar from the Wire.

The Wire is fantastic as a series. Probably one of the best if not the best TV series ever as a whole.

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Jezebel Jones wrote:The best goddamn television series ever. Gritty, unflinching, but not unsympathetic look at Baltimore: police, criminals, courts, newspapers, dock workers. Best described as a visual novel, there's depth to this series but it's not in your face. It's heros are anti-heros, no one is completely good-- or completely bad, I did find myself rooting for the criminals too.

Omar Little, the most awesome character on TV, oh indeed:

I just finished all five seasons, and I think it's definitely suited to watching large chunks of it at a time as opposed to weekly viewing.
I got it each season as soon as it was available on Netflix and just gorged on it over 3-5 days. Unbelievably great-hands down best show ever IMO.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Best program ever. Omar, Bunk, Bubbles, Snoop the list is endless of great characters. Check out youtube for extras, interviews etc etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUjh9Id6Id8[/youtube]
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B »

Was this your first time watching, Jezzy?

I came late to the party, only watching well after it was out on DVD. I added the whole series to Netflix, then just bought the damn box set midway through watching the 2nd season. It was too good not to own and be able to rewatch.

Every time I loan it out to someone who's never seen it, I'm jealous that they have 5 seasons of perfect TV in their hands.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sgj78QG9Bg[/youtube]
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B »

Also Jezzy: In the scene you posted, it's amazing to realize both Stringer and McNulty are played by Brits who had to learn to speak like they were from Balmer.

So did Carcetti.

And I'd almost describe it as a series of five visual novels. Every season had an overarching story with a conclusion.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B »

Norman U. Senchbau wrote: Probably one of the best if not the best TV series ever as a whole.
If it's not the best in TV history, I'm open to hear what series would beat it.

Deadwood is in the same ballpark, but didn't get an ending (those fuckers). The Shield had a great story arc but wasn't as thought-provoking. Breaking Bad has the potential to reach it but is still in progress, thankfully.

Any IGxer who has not seen The Wire needs to get on the stick immediately.

Topic author
Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Eric B wrote:Also Jezzy: In the scene you posted, it's amazing to realize both Stringer and McNulty are played by Brits who had to learn to speak like they were from Balmer.

So did Carcetti.

And I'd almost describe it as a series of five visual novels. Every season had an overarching story with a conclusion.
Yeah, this was my first time seeing it. Visual novel is a good way of putting it.

I knew Idris Elba (Stringer) was British, having seen him in Luther (awesome too, by the way). I had NO idea McNulty was. When I found out I went back and watched the scene where he did the terrible English accent. Made it that much more hysterical.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I really liked the way they ended the series with the young bucks- Michael, Dookie, etc transitioning into the roles of the older characters. After watching the last three or four seasons of the Sopranos just because I like the first two I was completely pissed off about the non-ending. Same with Lost... It was all dream? Fuck that.

Classic McNulty
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URupBZbfbJg[/youtube]
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Yes, I'm drunk

Post by Yes, I'm drunk »

Great program. Series 1,2 and 4 were masterpieces. Series 3 less so in comparison, though that just says how good the others were. However, the last series, series 5, was so bad that if I knew someone was watching them again for the 1st time I'd tell them to actually not watch it. It sort've soured my opinion of the show initially, until I re-watched season 2 again as a cleanse.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Yes, I'm drunk wrote:Great program. Series 1,2 and 4 were masterpieces. Series 3 less so in comparison, though that just says how good the others were. However, the last series, series 5, was so bad that if I knew someone was watching them again for the 1st time I'd tell them to actually not watch it. It sort've soured my opinion of the show initially, until I re-watched season 2 again as a cleanse.
Four was by far the best. Five got serious attention in "serious media" for being the most accurate representation of the condition the contemporary American news culture, specifically in print.

I think they needed more episodes to flesh out five, the introduction of yet another institution made the season a bit choppy and disjointed. And the McNulty thread was nutty.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Just got through season 1. Thanks for the recs-- good stuff.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule