Technical Ninjutsu Master Wanted

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Lych
Sarge

Technical Ninjutsu Master Wanted

Post by Lych »

I have an Internet anomaly I can't figure out;

First, some info: My downstream dBm is, on three channels respectively, -0.1, 0.5, and 0.5. This is right in the middle of the acceptable range which is -10dBm to +10dBm. My upstream is 38.2 dBm which is on the strong side, but not below the acceptable 36 dBm level. My signal to noise ratio is between 40.8 and 41.4, again very acceptable by any ISP's standards.

Nevertheless, my internet is consistently locking up, i.e., pages fail to load, emails won't send (I'll see a zero kbs speed), etc. This is symptomatic of every wireless device in the house, except the PS3. The ISP shows no loss of internet to the modem, and based on the data above, I'm guessing this has to be some sort of interference with my wireless. Although the PS3 not having this problem argues against that, the data once again, and the fact that hard lining to the modem works flawlessly, argues for it. My Macbook had been sent in and had a complete checkout done on it, and it works wirelessly everywhere else except at at home. The problem is intermittent too, only happening at random times. I have done experimenting to rule out CFL bulbs, household appliances, and a metal entertainment center... at least I think I have.

If the problem were ingress or egress on the outside cable system, then service to the modem would be interrupted and the ISP would see that. But they don't. Another reason I think it's restricted to wireless interference is because the default modem channel, which is 6 in most cases (but set to auto) is terrible, while manually setting it to either 9 or 3 is much better, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem. It also doesn't seem to matter where in the house I physically put the modem. I thought maybe Mac's airport card was more sensitive to interference, but PC's of varying types have the same problem here too.

Any ideas?