Hawaii knowledges

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Hawaii knowledges

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Corpulent Feline, Moku Nui, others(?)-

I had originally planned to visit Argentina but due to the cost of flights necessary to see the sights in my allotted vacation time, I am now bringing my pasty white ass to the Pacific in February. (convinced by FC's Hawaii is Awesome! thread) We'd like to do the honeymoon thing for a few days but interested in exploring after that which means that I'd like to see one of the lesser developed islands: Molokai, Lanai, or Kauai. It is a little overwhelming because with only two weeks I understand we'll have to budget time wisely. I have a few questions-

-If you had to pick one of the less touristy islands to visit without breaking the bank, which would it be?
-Can we travel b/w islands without flying? (I know there is a ferry from Maui to Molokai, what about others)
-Will we be able to swim or will the surf be too big in the Winter?
-I'm willing to drop the dough to stay at a nice place on Waikiki but interested in saving if possible on the rest of the trip, possible?

What do you think of this itinerary?
Night 1 - 4: Arrive HNL, do the honeymoon thing on Waikiki, Diamond Head, and a day trip to North Shore to catch the surfers if possible.
Nights 5 - 9 Fly to Maui (is there any other way to get there?) Would like to do a side trip to Molokai.
Nights 10 - 13 Big Island

Apologies for the long post. Mahalo
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Re: Hawaii knowledges

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

Kuai (sp?) and take the red Hughes 500D with no doors for a tour. Captain Zodiac for a boat tour. Maui is nice too, but it seems to shut down early in the evening. Things may have changed a lot. I would not even stay on oahu ( sp). It's like san Diego. Hit the other islands longer.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:Corpulent Feline, Moku Nui, others(?)-

I had originally planned to visit Argentina but due to the cost of flights necessary to see the sights in my allotted vacation time, I am now bringing my pasty white ass to the Pacific in February. (convinced by FC's Hawaii is Awesome! thread) We'd like to do the honeymoon thing for a few days but interested in exploring after that which means that I'd like to see one of the lesser developed islands: Molokai, Lanai, or Kauai. It is a little overwhelming because with only two weeks I understand we'll have to budget time wisely. I have a few questions-
Molokai and Lanai are boring and with Molokai Ranch shut down, there's nothing to do there in terms of accommodations. I would suggest Kauai, Maui, or the Big Island (Hawaii).
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:-If you had to pick one of the less touristy islands to visit without breaking the bank, which would it be?
-Can we travel b/w islands without flying? (I know there is a ferry from Maui to Molokai, what about others)
-Will we be able to swim or will the surf be too big in the Winter?
-I'm willing to drop the dough to stay at a nice place on Waikiki but interested in saving if possible on the rest of the trip, possible?
Travel between islands without air travel, while not technically impossible, is unlikely. Flying is cheap and very fast. Unless there is a storm, you will have fine weather and will be able to find places to swim, but be careful, remember that the Hawaiian islands are in the middle of the biggest, deepest ocean on earth and our waves, currents, etc. are no joke. Neither is our sun, for that matter, so please do exercise care.

I'm sorry I can't recommend better hotels, for obvious reasons I don't stay in hotels often in Hawaii. On Lanai, Koele Lodge and Manele Bay are both Four Seasons and very nice. Hualalai is very nice, as is Waikoloa, on the Kona coast of the Hawaii. Wailea is good on Maui. These are all serious skrillz though. Look around for cool B&B type places for more fun.
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:What do you think of this itinerary?
Night 1 - 4: Arrive HNL, do the honeymoon thing on Waikiki, Diamond Head, and a day trip to North Shore to catch the surfers if possible.
Nights 5 - 9 Fly to Maui (is there any other way to get there?) Would like to do a side trip to Molokai.
Nights 10 - 13 Big Island

Apologies for the long post. Mahalo
If you do stay in Honolulu, I insist on at least taking you out. I can style you out, show you around, get you stoned dumb, take you training, take you to izakaya, etc.

The rest of your itinerary is fine, you will want to consider swapping Kauai for Maui, but if you go to Maui make sure you go to Haleakala. Big Island is awesome all around, it's as big as the rest of the archipelago combined, is geologically much newer with a totally different feel, and active volcanoes, snow capped mountains, black sand beaches, etc. Go to Kiholo and swim with sea turtles, ride horses in Waimea, etc. etc. The other islands are a matter of taste, but everyone loves Hawaii.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

judobrian

Post by judobrian »

Poipu Plantation in Kauai was enjoyable, but that was in 2001. Things may have changed since then.
Rain don't change the sun...

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Great snorkeling
Attachments
hawaii-hanauma-bay-1050x1400.jpg
hawaii-hanauma-bay-1050x1400.jpg (211.08 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

From a tourist point of view:

I would vote for a combination of Kauai, Honolulu and time on Maui. Hawaii is cool for all the reasons Fat Cat said, but it's quite a bit different from the Hawaii a lot of people have in their minds. I only go there to visit my uncle and like 50 cousins who all live on one or two blocks.

Kauai is rad. The most laid back place I've ever been. Service is slow, people are cool, and you'll either be the most relaxed you've ever been, or frayed as can be by the pace.

Take up Fat Cat on his offer. The Hawaii you see as a tourist is a bit different than what you'll experience with a local.

Mau is kind of required for a yuppy who's in Hawaii for the first time.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Maui no ka oi.
Shomer Shabbos.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Dan Martin wrote:Maui no ka oi.
^^^Agree. Breathtaking snorkeling off Wailea (pricey, upscale area) & Kihei (less expensive, more tourist-y area). This part of the island has the most sunny weather, IME.

Keawakapu Beach FTW. Accessible, and beautiful reefs with varied sea life, including sea turtles. And morays & octopi, if you look hard.

Also - an excellent GJJ school on the north side of Maui, in Haiku; Instructor is Prof. Heredia, a tough, able, and gracious teacher. Fat Cat recommended - Thanks, Brah.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Maui has some real hidden gems for food. There is a "local" chain of restaurants called Cafe O'Lei that are very good and reasonably priced. But, the best plate lunch and picnic food can be found in the Uptown Chevron station on Main Street in Wailuku.
Shomer Shabbos.

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Thanks, you guys are awesome. :supz: I've been convinced and pulled the trigger today. Flying into Maui and home from HNL. Still need to straighten out the itinerary so I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Fat Cat, I appreciate the offer and will PM you when I start getting my shit together.

One more big question for you guys- If you had 11 nights to spread between Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii how would you break them up?

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Maui, fuck all else.
Shomer Shabbos.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

What, no FatCat's magic Maytag ride?
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:Thanks, you guys are awesome. :supz: I've been convinced and pulled the trigger today. Flying into Maui and home from HNL. Still need to straighten out the itinerary so I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Fat Cat, I appreciate the offer and will PM you when I start getting my shit together.

One more big question for you guys- If you had 11 nights to spread between Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii how would you break them up?
Personally, I would spread 'em out evenly. It depends on what you want. If you want more of a tourist type of experience, then spend less time on Kauai and more on Maui and in Honolulu.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

BabaLoo
Staff Sergeant

Post by BabaLoo »

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Sliding Sands Trail - Haleakala Crater, Maui
DSCN0190.JPG
DSCN0190.JPG (152.3 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
DSCN0194.JPG
DSCN0194.JPG (163.1 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
Looking out the gap
Looking out the gap
DSCN0205.JPG (159.02 KiB) Viewed 4920 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

More Haleakala
Attachments
Looking east out from Haleakala, that's Mauna Kea on the Big Island in the background.
Looking east out from Haleakala, that's Mauna Kea on the Big Island in the background.
DSCN0224.JPG (148.65 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
DSCN0221.JPG
DSCN0221.JPG (159.22 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
DSCN0206.JPG
DSCN0206.JPG (173.12 KiB) Viewed 4920 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Big Beach (Makena), Maui. I believe that's Lanai that the sun is setting over.
DSCN0227.JPG
DSCN0227.JPG (166.45 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
DSCN0237.JPG
DSCN0237.JPG (119.93 KiB) Viewed 4919 times
DSCN0246.JPG
DSCN0246.JPG (134.29 KiB) Viewed 4919 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Blowhole, West Maui
DSCN0279.JPG
DSCN0279.JPG (170.58 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
DSCN0282.JPG
DSCN0282.JPG (169.13 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
DSCN0301.JPG
DSCN0301.JPG (141.22 KiB) Viewed 4918 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Na Pali Coast, Kauai (from helicopter). Wish we would have opted for a late afternoon flight. Still one of the most amazing hours of my life.
DSCN0340.JPG
DSCN0340.JPG (150.56 KiB) Viewed 4918 times
DSCN0357.JPG
DSCN0357.JPG (150.57 KiB) Viewed 4918 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

more from the air...
Waimea Canyon, Kauai
DSCN0335.JPG
DSCN0335.JPG (184.58 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
random waterfall
DSCN0374.JPG
DSCN0374.JPG (163.63 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Wailua Falls, Kauai
DSCN0376.JPG
DSCN0376.JPG (220.93 KiB) Viewed 4916 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Hiking Waimea Canyon (remembered that the camera had a panorama mode)
DSCN0444.JPG
DSCN0444.JPG (61.68 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
DSCN0424.JPG
DSCN0424.JPG (169.56 KiB) Viewed 4915 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Smiling for the camera
DSCN0520.JPG
DSCN0520.JPG (160.75 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

Topic author
Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Dog that runs in rough water

Poipu Beach, Kauai
DSCN0573.JPG
DSCN0573.JPG (162.97 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

great shots!
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

So jealous.