All right you nerds-- NPR Top 100 SF & Fantasy books

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

JimZipCode

Re: All right you nerds-- NPR Top 100 SF & Fantasy books

Post by JimZipCode »

The list is shitty, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what the problem is. There's no one thing wrong with it — but there are a lot of things half-wrong with it. It's like they throw a token work in to represent an author or a class of authors, so you can't bitch that they were excluded; but they grab the wrong token.

I think they listed every fantasy series they liked (still missed a crucial one), and then filled enough "classic" stuff in around it that they wouldn't be caught. Maybe that's the problem. It over-emphasizes fantasy, and devalues the hard-core midcentury science fiction, but includes enough "names" (Clarke, Bradbury, Asimov) that they think they've armored themselves against that criticism.
40. The Chronicles Of Amber, by Roger Zelazny
This is emblammatic right here. Amber is about the 6th- or 7th-best thing Zelazny wrote. But it's a fantasy series, so here it is. Four better choices would have been: This Immortal, Lord of Light, Doorways in the Sand, and the Doors/Lamps story collection.

More random thoughts:
  • Too much Neil Gaiman (whom I love) and Neal Stephenson (whom I like). American Gods is fun, sure. Tenth best sf/fantasy of all time? NFW.
  • Nice to see Leguin represented. But Leguin gets two books and Stephenson gets four? Several fantasy series are on here but Earthsee is not? WTF? If we wrote a history of sf, Stephenson would merit a paragraph and Leguin a chapter.
  • Nice to see the comics represented (Sandman & Watchmen). Frankly, Sandman should be on a list like this, and should be Gaiman's only representation on an all-time list like this.
  • Hitchhikers? Princess Bride?
  • I am not well prepped to judge the last ~10 years worth of serious sf, I can't say much about authors like Connie Willis. She's supposed to be awesome; and among a class of awesome post-90s sf writers. I assume she and that whole class are not as well represented here as they should be.
  • Time Traveler's Wife?
  • Um, hello, Alfred Bester? Theodore Sturgeon?
  • Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, c'mon. I enjoyed that book, but it's not in the top thousand best sf/fantasy books.
  • James Tiptree Jr???
  • Heinlein is both over- and under-represented here. I think finally the move that would have best represented Heinlein would have been to trade out Starship Troopers for the Past Through Tomorrow "future history" collection.
This list is like the Oprah's Book Club science fiction selection.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman